News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

[Scribe etc.] Mid-March 2020 update

Started by GV, March 09, 2020, 09:00:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GV

The February 2020 Clark has been scribed, including the Digest of Laws.  From now on, when I say a Clark  has been 'scribed', I mean El Lex, OrgLaw (when applicable), and the Digest of Laws.  Eventually, the Clarkives as well will be included, but that is not ready just yet.

The new OrgLaw wiki page is forthcoming, everyone!

Also, the Scribery has three job openings - details in a separate thread.

GV, Scribe

Eðo Grischun

Quote from: GV on March 09, 2020, 09:00:34 AM
The February 2020 Clark has been scribed, including the Digest of Laws.

I was just processing an awkward immigration application and while looking up some law I noticed that LEX.E.4 doesn't seem to have been updated following the passage of the Lexifore Leeway Act (and possibly the Witt is not Talossa Act) ?
Eovart Grischun S.H.

Former Distain
Former Minister
Former Senator for Vuode

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Both bills direct the whole replacement of Lexh.E.4.  It is impossible to scribe both.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

GV

Quote from: Sir Alexandreu Davinescu on March 14, 2020, 04:45:03 PM
Both bills direct the whole replacement of Lexh.E.4.  It is impossible to scribe both.

Edo and AD, I will take a look at this Sunday or Monday.  I thought I had updated everything as-needed. 

Eðo Grischun

Both Bills have different intentions, and those intentions don't actually conflict.  Ian's Bill doesn't seek to change the bits of my Bill, and my Bill doesn't seek to change the bits of his.

I brought this up with the Chancery last month and the SoS isn't taking a position on this.  He's kicking the ball into the Scribe's court.  The SoS and Senator del Val both offered identical interpretations of how the final Scribing should look.  I agree with the way they wrote it (Ian, do you?)

Quote"An examination period shall begin with the prospective citizen's first posting to Wittenberg after an introduction by the Interior Minister. At any time at least fifteen days after the beginning of the examination period, any current citizen of Talossa who has corresponded with the prospective citizen at least once using a medium other than Wittenberg (excluding emails from the Interior Ministry) may petition the Secretary of State requesting that a Royal Grant of Citizenship be issued to the prospective citizen. The petition must name the non-Wittenberg medium the petitioner used to correspond with the prospective citizen. If no such petition is laid before the Secretary of State within the first sixty days of the examination period, the examination period shall end, the immigration process for the prospective citizen shall be terminated, and their Wittenberg account shall be disabled. In addition, if a prospective citizen fails to ever make a first posting to Wittenberg within thirty days of their introduction by the Interior Minister then the immigration process for the prospective citizen shall be terminated, and his Wittenberg account shall be disabled. Furthermore, whenever an immigration process is terminated then the Interior Minister shall notify the nation and the prospective citizen of the termination, and shall post a notification to the effect on Wittenberg."

The Chancery allowed both Bills to be Clarked.  The Ziu passed both Bills.  The Crown didn't veto either Bill.  They are both in force. 

Eovart Grischun S.H.

Former Distain
Former Minister
Former Senator for Vuode

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Well, that's illegal, since the law directs specific whole changes in each case.  You can't replace a provision in its entirety with two different new versions and keep them in superposition or whatever.  The law has to be one specific written thing.

But you have a good point about the folks in charge agreeing on an outcome here.  That's really all that matters right now, since it means there's no legal risk to the Scribe or SoS for writing up a third new version of Lexh.E.4.  Legal risk would require someone charging them with a crime.  The Government's not going to do that, so they don't need to worry.  I guess hypothetically a private citizen could do a Roman prosecution, but the Government could even appeal a potential conviction unopposed.  And there's no future prospect of a government that might reverse that decision, either.  So everyone involved is pretty much safe as houses.

Fair enough and never mind :)
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Eðo Grischun

Cabinet is discussing the issue and will make a final decision on our course of action shortly.
Eovart Grischun S.H.

Former Distain
Former Minister
Former Senator for Vuode