[FOR DISCUSSION] Let's establish names.

Started by Bråneu Excelsio, August 29, 2022, 07:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bråneu Excelsio

In this thread we can talk about how to name our 57 townships.

As we know, our two cantons are divided by two and four counties each.
Each county is divided in between 8 to 14 townships.

I believe we can have a different approach to how we name EACH county (and its townships).

Some things I've thought were
a) A county with townships named after Liberty and Independance terminology/concepts.
This in order to pay hommage to Fiôvâ's origins.
Examples: Livertà. Republică. Independençù.    Liberty. Republic. Independence.

b) A county with townships named after Coffee terminology.
This because you know me.
Examples: Macchiato.  Affogato.  Espresso.   

c) A county with townships named after Rivers.
I consider this traditional.

d) A county with townships named after important people in Talossan History.
I consider this traditional and a way to pay respects, too.

We got to keep Fiôvâ nice and tidy. I believe this is a way to do it.
How do you feel about this?
Should we agree to have 6 themes for the naming or do you prefer to pick a county and name its townships yourselves?
Both options are fine by me.

@Miestră Schivă, UrN @GV @Audrada Roibeardet
=)

Fiován.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Ya Allà, this kind of thing goes all the way over my head. 57 is more people than have ever been citizens of Fiova or the Talossan Republic before that combined :D I'm sure you guys will come up with good ideas

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Audrada Roibeardet

I still think we should each pick a county and do what we want with it.

As for naming conventions, I think each county should have at least one township with a Talossan name.

Should we pick a township to act as our provincial capital? We should probably decide what our provincial capital is called, too. ;D

Bråneu Excelsio

My bad. That's 81 townships. I don't know why I said 57.

The Capitol of Fiôvâ is the Mitchell Bulding, I believe that is located in Township #38, Red County in Las înaltans Maxhestic.
That township can be Provintial Capital (:

Last post you made you mentioned the Manaweg, I believe all counties have access to the Manaweg but the green county has the biggest access and coincidentally has a small marina and is the first place you see when talking about the Manaweg (that limits all of Talossa). 
That county has 12 townships. You can start with that one and I'll start with the next county (orange one) that has 12 townships too :D

If we find this to be accepted and good and fun, maybe we can all work on the Capital county (and its 17 (+ 1 capital ) townships!) later :).
Fiován.

Audrada Roibeardet

Yeah, I'll take the green county in Las înaltans Maxhestic, if everyone else is ok with it.

Also, I'm not seeing the marina. Do you have a location?

Bråneu Excelsio

Yeah I see now that it's not a marina per se.

But it's the largest boat docks/pier in the western side of Talossa.

I consider that County yours to name, too :)
Fiován.

Audrada Roibeardet

My county will be called Manáweg County. Actually, that brings up an interesting point.

First, are we using the English "county" or the Talossan "cuntat"? Second, does the county bit go before or after the name? Is it Manáweg County, County Manáweg, Cuntat Manáweg or Manáweg Cuntat? Or is it something like Cuntat del Manáweg? Fost, is Manáweg feminine? Cuntat dal Manáweg?

Too complicated. Where's Miestra?  ;D

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Oh, it's a language question? Cuntat Manáweg. You're welcome.

#21 is where the Bronze Fonz is. So I declare that Cuntat Ziuăs Felicăs.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

Bråneu Excelsio

Haha if the gender of things is correspondant to spanish or italian, is masculine. If it's french, it's femenine.  If it's latin, I'm not sure.
In spanish it would be something like
El Condado del Manaweg on the streets or "Condado Manaweg" officially.
Fiován.

Bråneu Excelsio

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on August 31, 2022, 05:34:56 PM
Oh, it's a language question? Cuntat Manáweg. You're welcome.

#21 is where the Bronze Fonz is. So I declare that Cuntat Ziuăs Felicăs.

Really nice!
That's two counties with a beautiful name, Ziuãs Felicãs in Cüféir and Manáweg in Las Înaltans Maxhestic.
I'm so happy haha. :D
Fiován.

Audrada Roibeardet

Miestra named a county so it's her problem now. That's the rule that I just made up. Haha!   ;D

Audrada Roibeardet

Still working on naming the townships. I've come up with a few names but I'm not going to share them just yet. You'll have to wait for the full list.

Ok, I'll share one name just so Bråneu doesn't steal it. ;)

One of my townships will be called Kaldi. This goes back to the apocryphal story of the discovery of coffee. Legend has it that an Arab Ethiopian called Kaldi (or Khalid depending on the story) saw his goats eating berries that made them very excited. Turns out those berries were coffee. That's a summary of the story.

So don't steal that name, Bråneu. I'm watching you. ;D

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Please forgive my intrusion if it is not permissible. But this has been a recurring thought as I observed your deliberations on names. Fiova has a citizen of historical import who is a great candidate to have their name used for a placename. And I always wish we give worthy honors before the person passes from this earth. @Miestră Schivă, UrN
Why not name a place after her too?

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Miestră Schivă, UrN

... that's unexpected and truly humbling, but I would argue strenuously against it. If I am to leave a legacy in Talossa, I only want it to be my work, my cultural and political achievements. I'll vote against any attempt to name stuff after me (while I'm still alive).

Iason Taiwos

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on September 15, 2022, 04:21:09 PM
... that's unexpected and truly humbling, but I would argue strenuously against it. If I am to leave a legacy in Talossa, I only want it to be my work, my cultural and political achievements. I'll vote against any attempt to name stuff after me (while I'm still alive).
Just so you know, we have things named after you in our Benitian Cjovaní Ohio subculture. A couple place names and bocce moves. (All respectful. A "Triple Miestra" is one of the best things you can get in a bocce game.)