News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Remembering HM Elizabeth II of England...

Started by GV, September 08, 2022, 01:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GV

...and Elizabeth I of Scotland, as many Scots will readily point out.

I speak only for myself, but I know I echo the sentiments of everyone in Talossa in thanking all that is good, right, and holy for her long life and brilliant reign.  I'm sorry she did not surpass the Sun King in terms of length, but she seems to me to have been a far better monarch.

May Charles at least come somewhat close to that example - an example for all heads of state and all those in leadership in our world.

When one said, 'the Queen', everyone knew who they meant.

GV, Senator for Fiova

Ián Tamorán S.H.

In sadness we say "The Queen is dead"

and in humble anticipation we say "God Save the King"

There are few of us here in Talossa who can remember in their own lives a time when she was not queen. I am older than most of you, and I was privileged to see her coronation. That was a time of restart - a break with the dreadful recent past war, and a looking forward to better times.  None of us then thought that she would celebrate her Platinum Jubilee. But since her accession she has seen us through huge social and technological change in the world - computers, the iron curtain, men on the moon, the internet, gender equality, wider acceptance of all people, whatever their colour or faith or origin or orientation, greater international communication ("better jaw, jaw than war, war"), a diminishing of (but not, alas, the eradication of) the sense of "us and them" - we are moving towards inclusivity, and away from exclusivity: she has been there through all that, and more, and has been a steadying presence both in the UK and round the world.

We shall miss her, and we thank God for giving her to us as a gift, and for giving to her a long life, strong in faith and steadfast in duty.

May she Rest In Peace.
Quality through Thought
Turris Fortis Mihi Deus

Think the best, say the best, and you will be the best.

King John

As were so many of you, I was saddened yesterday, if not surprised -- one can't really be surprised at the death of a lady 96 years old --, by the announcement of the passing of Her Majesty Elizabeth II.  In a strange way, the world seems less familiar, less gracious, without her in it.

Our royal cousin (as I have sometimes called her) was, throughout her long life, directed by her faith in God, her firm sense of duty, her love for her country -- her many countries! --, and her genuine unfailing human decency.  Would that more of us, in our less prominent rôles in the world, might do as well.

We commit her to the mercy of God, whom she loved.  May she be granted Paradise!

-- John R