News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Apolitical Justices

Started by Tric'hard Lenxheir, February 03, 2023, 07:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tric'hard Lenxheir

I wanted to put in my two cents worth on the issue of justices being apolitical. In a perfect Talossa I would 100% agree with the idea of all judges being apolitical, however this is not a perfect Talossa. Our population is very low and the number of "active" citizens in the country is only what maybe 20? Of those 20 maybe 15 of them are qualified for positions within the government which leaves a very small pool to choose from for cabinet, cosa, senat, ministers and justices. Some overlapping is almost a necessity, at least until such time as the Talossan population increases and more qualified, intelligent people become citizens. So for now the idea of a completely apolitical cort makes filling all other vacancies within the government virtually impossible. I would like to think that the current UC's are honest enough to judge based upon the law rather than their personal political beliefs, I do believe that any UC justice who feels strongly about any issue should recuse themselves. However simply voting in favor or against a bill should not be the deciding factor at this point. If being political were a disqualifying factor then UC justices should also not be allowed to vote in the annual elections as by doing so they are showing their political support for an individual or an individual party. So with this logic, any case brought against the TNC or the FreeDems would require any justice who voted for either party in the Cosa election to recuse themselves. Until such time as we can increase the population of qualified active citizens I feel it is unrealistic to call for a completely apolitical Cort. (Let the attacks begin)
Tric'hard Lenxheir (Senator-TNC)

https://ibb.co/3z5vFjn][/url

Ian Plätschisch

I think one of the old MRPT manifestos called for complete separation of powers once Talossa had 1,000 citizens. I'm sure we'll be getting there any day now...

Tric'hard Lenxheir

Quote from: Ian Plätschisch on February 03, 2023, 08:30:22 PMI think one of the old MRPT manifestos called for complete separation of powers once Talossa had 1,000 citizens. I'm sure we'll be getting there any day now...

What are we at now? 140? 150? and like I said maybe 20-25 are active and at least a couple of those (myself included) don't have the necessary skills to be extremely involved. My computer skills are very limited and my legal skills are non-existent LOL I am active as far as voting, responding to the census, and as a member of the Cosa last term I was at least capable enough to read the bills and vote on them but I would in no way be useful as a minister or anything that required more computer skills than being able to log in and vote LOL
Tric'hard Lenxheir (Senator-TNC)

https://ibb.co/3z5vFjn][/url