National Skills and Social Connections Survey Act

Started by Breneir Tzaracomprada, February 06, 2023, 10:39:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Whereas, the TNC pledged during the recent campaign to create a citizen skills inventory which will be used as a part of the Service Corps Initiative in compiling a voluntary knowledge base of those possessing useful professional skills in potential government service for use by incoming administrations in search of technocratic talent, and

Whereas, as a part of this effort it is planned to introduce an optional question to the upcoming National Census, and

Whereas, under the relevant section of El Lexhatx C.1.2.2.2 is as follows: "Other questions on the Talossan Census shall be identical to the questions on the last census. These questions may be changed by the Chancery, either of its own volition or on request from the Seneschal, but any changes shall be approved by the Ziu, without needing to go through committee. These questions will be marked as optional, and at no time shall a citizen be forced or required to respond to an optional question."

Therefore, the Office of the Seneschal instructs HM Chancery to include the following additional question on the next census and submits same to the Ziu for approval:"

Service Corps Initiative. As a part of an effort to assist with recruitment of skilled volunteers the Government is collecting information from citizens concerning their available skills and their willingness to use them in service to the nation. In the space below, please describe skills and experience which you possess (ex: translation, social media management, database administration, website editing and maintenance, etc.)

Uréu q'estadra så:
Breneir Tzaracomprada (Sen-FL, TNC)

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

If I may,

Before this goes to a vote, I would appreciate the opportunity to at least find out if this is even technically feasible given our current database. I personally cannot alter the census form, and this would require programming from our current database administrator.
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB on February 06, 2023, 11:27:58 AMIf I may,

Before this goes to a vote, I would appreciate the opportunity to at least find out if this is even technically feasible given our current database. I personally cannot alter the census form, and this would require programming from our current database administrator.

I recognize we used the database previously but we are not required to, right? Google Forms or Microsoft Forms would be perfectly reasonable platforms for distributing the Census and retrieving the results. Others please chime in but I don't want us to be constrained by any technical limitations in the Database.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

I don't think there's any reason we need to use the database?  The census responses aren't tied to anyone specific in a verifiable way.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

The responses are not tied to individuals, but that is a factor in determining if a citizen is going to lose their citizenship and that IS tracked in the current database. MPF would have to manually change everyone's database file if we used an alternate means.

I'm only asking that when major changes are planned, we determine AS PART OF THE CHANGE how we will accomplish it.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on February 06, 2023, 12:13:08 PMI don't think there's any reason we need to use the database?  The census responses aren't tied to anyone specific in a verifiable way.

I would support not using the database initially and manually updating later if necessary.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

According to El.Lex C "1.2.2.3. Any information collected during the census that would individually identify any person or persons, including their contact information, shall be withheld from the public for to protect individual privacy, consistent with Lex.D.8. The only exception is that citizens may opt to have their e-mail address shared with party leaders, pursuant to Lex.D.8.5.4. Census information shall not be released under any "freedom of information" or "government transparency" requests, notwithstanding any other provisions of el Lexhatx. (52RZ4) (53RZ2)"

By using a form that is not tied to an individual's private database account, the only information I can collect cannot identify them in any way. Creating this skills inventory is a good idea, but legally I cannot provide any information from it unless a citizen opts to share his or her email address "with party leaders." This means that even asking their name on the census, while ok to ask I'd presume, I cannot share it with anyone. Any skills identified would not be tied to any individual person. There are a LOT of reasons why this law needs to be more thought out. As El. Lex is written, the question could be asked, but we'd have no way of knowing who answered it.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Dame Litz Cjantscheir, UrN

Quote from: Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB on February 06, 2023, 12:16:13 PMThe responses are not tied to individuals, but that is a factor in determining if a citizen is going to lose their citizenship and that IS tracked in the current database. MPF would have to manually change everyone's database file if we used an alternate means.

I'm only asking that when major changes are planned, we determine AS PART OF THE CHANGE how we will accomplish it.
I appreciate what the SoS is saying, major changes should be discussed - which is why we have the Hopper to try and thrash things out, to see what is possible and what isn't.

However (and I am by no means an IT expert here, so please correct me if I'm wrong), I don't envision adding one text box to the current census programme/file/database should be too much of an issue?
Litz Cjantscheir LLB, LLM
Senior Justice/Judge of the Cort Pü Inalt

Quote from: Dame Litz Cjantscheir, UrN on February 06, 2023, 01:11:17 PMHowever (and I am by no means an IT expert here, so please correct me if I'm wrong), I don't envision adding one text box to the current census programme/file/database should be too much of an issue?

I don't believe this is a problem either. I'm just stating that it'd be beneficial for me to explore that option. The other ideas suggested I don't think will be feasible given current law.

However, we run up against privacy law here as well. I can collect the skills inventory, I can't share what they said if it identifies them.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Dame Litz Cjantscheir, UrN

Quote from: Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB on February 06, 2023, 01:16:49 PM
Quote from: Dame Litz Cjantscheir, UrN on February 06, 2023, 01:11:17 PMHowever (and I am by no means an IT expert here, so please correct me if I'm wrong), I don't envision adding one text box to the current census programme/file/database should be too much of an issue?

I don't believe this is a problem either. I'm just stating that it'd be beneficial for me to explore that option. The other ideas suggested I don't think will be feasible given current law.

However, we run up against privacy law here as well. I can collect the skills inventory, I can't share what they said if it identifies them.
I fully understand what you're trying to say, but current legal issues aside (which are within the powers of the Ziu to amend, if they see fit) - I do agree with you that we need clarification of what is or isn't possible with the current census/database system so the Ziu can look at alternatives, and if need be, pass legislation to that effect.
Litz Cjantscheir LLB, LLM
Senior Justice/Judge of the Cort Pü Inalt

Quote from: Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB on February 06, 2023, 12:16:13 PMThe responses are not tied to individuals, but that is a factor in determining if a citizen is going to lose their citizenship and that IS tracked in the current database. MPF would have to manually change everyone's database file if we used an alternate means.

This is a really good point -- I'd forgotten about that!

I guess there's no rush about the census, and we can maybe try to see if it's possible to edit it and/or if it's possible to replace the database with something that others can manage.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on February 06, 2023, 01:31:10 PMI guess there's no rush about the census, and we can maybe try to see if it's possible to edit it and/or if it's possible to replace the database with something that others can manage.

I'm seriously not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, but also keep in mind anyone with back-end access to the database must by law be a member of the Chancery. All of that information is legally protected and not just anyone can see it. Heck, there are things even I as the Secretary of State can't see!
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

I understand that there will be a lot of logistical hurdles, in addition to the technical problem itself. But, and I'm only speaking for myself here, I am frankly sick to death of this whole thing. I feel like we are dealing with problems with the database every few months now. It's been a great tool, but it is simply impossible to rely upon it indefinitely under these circumstances, and it's probably not very fair to MPF either.

So my hope is that we can just get retire it and implement something a lot simpler.

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on February 06, 2023, 01:52:45 PMI understand that there will be a lot of logistical hurdles, in addition to the technical problem itself. But, and I'm only speaking for myself here, I am frankly sick to death of this whole thing. I feel like we are dealing with problems with the database every few months now. It's been a great tool, but it is simply impossible to rely upon it indefinitely under these circumstances, and it's probably not very fair to MPF either.

So my hope is that we can just get retire it and implement something a lot simpler.

The problem is not just the database Baron. An even larger problem is the existing privacy laws in El. Lex. I've no problem using a Google Form, for example. However, I cannot share any of that information with anyone outside the Chancery. That is where the real problem lies. This law, if enacted as written, would be illegal.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB on February 06, 2023, 01:56:37 PM
Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on February 06, 2023, 01:52:45 PMI understand that there will be a lot of logistical hurdles, in addition to the technical problem itself. But, and I'm only speaking for myself here, I am frankly sick to death of this whole thing. I feel like we are dealing with problems with the database every few months now. It's been a great tool, but it is simply impossible to rely upon it indefinitely under these circumstances, and it's probably not very fair to MPF either.

The problem is not just the database Baron. An even larger problem is the existing privacy laws in El. Lex. I've no problem using a Google Form, for example. However, I cannot share any of that information with anyone outside the Chancery. That is where the real problem lies. This law, if enacted as written, would be illegal.

Whoa, that's a bit too far. This bill asks for an additional question to the Census. There is NOTHING illegal with the enactment of this act.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight