[Prümă Ministrà] Statement on Recent Technical Issues

Started by Baron Alexandreu Davinescu, March 03, 2023, 11:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

OFFICE OF THE PRIME MINISTRY

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Statement on Recent Technical Issues

Two weeks ago, our webhosting service, DoRoyal, began experiencing technical problems.  These culminated in the last three days' of downtime of all of the Regipäts web properties, including Wittenberg, our national website, the language website, and TalossaWiki.  While service is being restored, it seems as though all data from the past two weeks has likely been lost forever.  This includes all recent posts on Wittenberg, recent edits on the wiki, and other miscellaneous data.  In addition, some other sorts of files may also be lost.  For further technical information, please see this post made by Permanent Secretary Sir @Lüc da Schir: https://wittenberg.talossa.com/index.php?topic=2171.msg17826#msg17826

First of all, the Government would like to express its sincere thanks to the Permanent Secretary Sir @Lüc da Schir and to Minister of Technology @Danihel Txechescu , who have both put in a ton of work trying to resolve this issue, as well as @Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB and @Miestră Schivă, UrN .  This was a difficult situation, and they have handled it magnificently and tirelessly.

This incident had very unfortunate timing.  New government announcements and recent policy statements have been taken down, including official events like the State Opening of the Cosa, the posting of Cabinet appointments, and some seat assignments.  All the major revisions and updates to the national website and the wiki have been lost.  A lot of individual posts, contributions, and even immigration applications have been lost.  It was a rough storm for a new Government to navigate in its first week.

However, the damage is limited.  Most announcements will be reposted in the next few days.  There are no legal consequences.  All pending legislation, appointments, and seat assignments are still in effect.  The loss of records doesn't affect the fact that these events did legally happen, and there is independent verification for almost all of these important items.  The work on the website and wiki will be restored, although that might take a bit longer.

The Ministry of Technology will be announcing steps to be taken to further mitigate any chance of this happening again, as well as the Government's decision about what to do about hosting.  All technical questions should be directed at the Ministreu or to the Permanent Secretary.

Wittenberg isn't the whole Talossan experience, however much it might dominate our national life at this time.  This is a good time to take a moment to connect with your country in other ways, if you have not yet done so:

¡Per El Regipäts!

Seneschal Breneir Tzaracomprada
Distain Alexandreu Davinescu
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Addendum I just noticed while checking the wiki: Almost all namespaces are fine, which is a relief -- I was worried that the Law namespace (which isn't a default one) might have been damaged, which would have been a serious blow to our records if we couldn't fix it. But other namespaces appear to have been deleted.  The only one I knew about for sure was the History namespace, but there might be others.  There weren't a lot of pages included there, I don't think, and they may be salvageable, but just an FYI for everyone.

EDIT: This might be temporary, actually.  Some Library files were missing, but now they're back.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

Speaking of Wiki namespaces: the SIGN namespace appears to be affected. The Recomendăs page appears to be gone.
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

Frustrating -- hope it's temporary.  We might be able to restore all these from a backup, also -- there's one from a few months ago, so hopefully not too much would be lost.

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Miestră Schivă, UrN

If all else fails, the Wayback Machine has las Recomendăs and the New Talossan History Project

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Sir Lüc

As detailed on Discord, it was just a matter of re-adding those namespaces to the settings file, which has been done.
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB
Directeur Sportif, Gordon Hiatus Support Team

In my free time:
Túischac'h dal Cosă / Speaker of the Cosa
Wittmeister & Permanent Secretary of Backend Admin / Secretar Parmanint per l'Aðmistraziun del Backend
Deputy Scribe of Abbavilla / Distain Grefieir d'Abbavillă

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on March 03, 2023, 11:28:35 AM
OFFICE OF THE PRIME MINISTRY

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Statement on Recent Technical Issues

Two weeks ago, our webhosting service, DoRoyal, began experiencing technical problems.  These culminated in the last three days' of downtime of all of the Regipäts web properties, including Wittenberg, our national website, the language website, and TalossaWiki.  While service is being restored, it seems as though all data from the past two weeks has likely been lost forever.  This includes all recent posts on Wittenberg, recent edits on the wiki, and other miscellaneous data.  In addition, some other sorts of files may also be lost.  For further technical information, please see this post made by Permanent Secretary Sir @Lüc da Schir: https://wittenberg.talossa.com/index.php?topic=2171.msg17826#msg17826

First of all, the Government would like to express its sincere thanks to the Permanent Secretary Sir @Lüc da Schir and to Minister of Technology @Danihel Txechescu , who have both put in a ton of work trying to resolve this issue, as well as @Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB and @Miestră Schivă, UrN .  This was a difficult situation, and they have handled it magnificently and tirelessly.

This incident had very unfortunate timing.  New government announcements and recent policy statements have been taken down, including official events like the State Opening of the Cosa, the posting of Cabinet appointments, and some seat assignments.  All the major revisions and updates to the national website and the wiki have been lost.  A lot of individual posts, contributions, and even immigration applications have been lost.  It was a rough storm for a new Government to navigate in its first week.

However, the damage is limited.  Most announcements will be reposted in the next few days.  There are no legal consequences.  All pending legislation, appointments, and seat assignments are still in effect.  The loss of records doesn't affect the fact that these events did legally happen, and there is independent verification for almost all of these important items.  The work on the website and wiki will be restored, although that might take a bit longer.

The Ministry of Technology will be announcing steps to be taken to further mitigate any chance of this happening again, as well as the Government's decision about what to do about hosting.  All technical questions should be directed at the Ministreu or to the Permanent Secretary.

Wittenberg isn't the whole Talossan experience, however much it might dominate our national life at this time.  This is a good time to take a moment to connect with your country in other ways, if you have not yet done so:

¡Per El Regipäts!

Seneschal Breneir Tzaracomprada
Distain Alexandreu Davinescu

@Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB Mr. Secretary, would it be possible to send this message to eligible emails to ensure widespread awareness?

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

Sure, though I may not get to it until the morning.
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal