Translation of BHAID

Started by Carlüs Éovart Vilaçafat, May 08, 2023, 03:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlüs Éovart Vilaçafat

I would like to translate the name of BHAID into Talossan. Using L'Översteir, I put together the translation below. Please let me know if this is correct or what needs to be corrected. Thank you!

Bureau for Humanitarian Aid and International Development

El Büreu per l'Agüd Þumanitar es Developind Internaziunal
The Fulbright Fellow, Royal Talossan College of Arms
Member, Talossan Science Fiction, Fantasy & Whisky Society
Membreu dal Urderi dal Provinçù Soveran da Maricopa

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

Personally I might want to add an article before "Developind" as well, but other than that it's perfectly fine. The resulting acronym, BAÞDI, is also very fun to say (BAHTH-dee)!
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

el PARTI TAFIALISTÀ, voastra va facçal in la 56 58:téa Cosă.

Carlüs Éovart Vilaçafat

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP on May 08, 2023, 03:32:10 PMPersonally I might want to add an article before "Developind" as well, but other than that it's perfectly fine. The resulting acronym, BAÞDI, is also very fun to say (BAHTH-dee)!

Thank you for reviewing it for me! BAÞDI is fun to say, it rolls right off the tongue :-D
The Fulbright Fellow, Royal Talossan College of Arms
Member, Talossan Science Fiction, Fantasy & Whisky Society
Membreu dal Urderi dal Provinçù Soveran da Maricopa

Üc R. Tärfă

In this case I'd probably use svilup instead of developind, but this is because in Italian I'd say sviluppo.

Svilup was first introduced in the 1993 dictionary and it came indeed from Italian, while developind was an older word introduced in 1981. I instinctively associate devolpind to the process of different stages of a project, while I'd instinctively associate the more abstract and general concept of development with svilup. The development of a product, of a policy (developind) VS the human development (svilup).

But it's true that the verb svilupar seems to be limited to photograph (which makes it outdated nowadays; to offer some context: we indeed use "sviluppo/sviluppare" in Italian also for photography) while the more general verb seems to be developar (but maybe because it was introduced in 1981 like developind). However the word svilup is not limited in its application in the 1997 dictionary like the verb svilupar. As we have two words it seems logical to give different nuances to them. (And maybe extend it also to the verbs as the limited use of it to photography makes that verb almost a never used verb in 2023).
Of course the reasoning could also be the opposite to what I wrote.

I agree with the need of the article el.
Üc Rêntz'ëfiglheu Tärfâ
Membreu dal Cosă | Distain Grefieir d'Abbavilla
FREEDEMS President | Presedint dels Democrätici Livereschti
Keys to the Kingdom (Cézembre), Stalwart of the Four Stars (Fiovă)

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

Quote from: Üc R. Tärfă on May 08, 2023, 05:58:40 PM...

In my opinion, the choice between svilup and developind (and similarly svilupar and developar) is purely stylistic in nature. In general I prefer a more "North African" style that Ben tried to go for in his last years as a Talossan (with an added caveat that more generally recognisable and dissectable words are prefered), but I can't demand that others share my aesthetic sensibilities. As such, I have no issue accepting "developind" as a valid word choice.
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

el PARTI TAFIALISTÀ, voastra va facçal in la 56 58:téa Cosă.

Üc R. Tärfă

I wrote what I'd instinctively use according with my aesthetic sensibility , I wasn't saying "that is the word that should be used". As you said I can't demand other to share that. I just shared my sensibility with a context.

(EDIT: Italian and Sardinian (generally linked with north African Latin romance) use a cognate of svilup. French, Occitan, Catalan, Castillano and Portoguese a cognate of developind. Berber is not related)

But the article el is certainly needed.
Üc Rêntz'ëfiglheu Tärfâ
Membreu dal Cosă | Distain Grefieir d'Abbavilla
FREEDEMS President | Presedint dels Democrätici Livereschti
Keys to the Kingdom (Cézembre), Stalwart of the Four Stars (Fiovă)