News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Debate on Monarchy Reform

Started by Miestră Schivă, UrN, September 09, 2023, 03:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miestră Schivă, UrN

The title pretty much says it all. I wonder whether the new TNC leader - or the TNC Seneschal-designate - would like to meet a representative of the Free Democrats of Talossa to discuss possible futures for Talossa's monarchy.

In previous elections, the TNC have earned a reputation for simply refusing to debate, as if they thought other parties were beneath their notice - or as if the members of other party were contemptible, corrupt, wicked or criminal. Dare I say, pouring vitriol on their opponents. I wonder if this will change under the new leadership.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Breneir Tzaracomprada

In the most recent election, I think Fora Talossa published a general election debate between Ian (representing the FDT) and the Baron (representing the TNC). It was a great discussion.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Miestră Schivă, UrN

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

Bråneu Excelsio

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Excellent! Who will the TNC spokesperson be? (Because that will partly determine who the FreeDems spokesperson will be.) We can settle details via PM if you like.

þerxh Sant-Enogat

Our new TNC platform (https://wiki.talossa.com/Talossan_National_Congress) states the below :

Put the People in Charge on the Monarchy

A Path Forward.  We at TNC have always shown our support for a monarchy, but politics in Talossa should not be reduced to these questions. We think that our first priority should be to prepare for succession -- defining how the new king should be chosen, in case our current king becomes unable to do his job. Your vote for the Cosa should reflect your choice for the best Government, but we want to organise a referendum on all final decisions related to the Monarchy.

This means that we will not avoid to discuss questions related to Monarchy and, as you noticed, we will say our truth when false intentions or declarations are attributed to TNC. But also we want that these issues do not become central in the choice that our citizens will do for this 59th Cosa. We want the TNC to be chosen because we are doing good things for the country and its people.
To structure our debates on monarchy, we propose a priority (the succession process), a framework (public discussions, not restricted to politicians) and a specific agenda (decisions based on referendum) - because Cosa elections should not reflect what voters think about monarchy.
I, personally, do not feel at ease for a live debate, and I'm rather in favour of discussion threads on the subject so that the debate is not reduced to a confrontation. But the TNC is open, diverse and encourages everyone's initiatives and voicing of personal opinion (our new constitution : https://wittenberg.talossa.com/index.php?topic=2684.0). So this is just my own answer to your proposal !
þerxh Sant-Enogat, SMC, MC
Seneschal, Minister of Immigration, Minister of STUFF,
Sénéchal de Cézembre,
Duceu del TNC / Congreßeu Naziunal da Talossa
Former Prospective Citizen

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Thanks for that, although "the TNC have always stood for a monarchy" is pretty ironic given your Florencia Senäts candidate :D

So am I to take it that the TNC's definition of "monarchy reform" refers only to sorting out the succession - that nothing else is on the table, as far as you fellows are concerned?

Bråneu Excelsio

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on September 10, 2023, 03:41:17 AMExcellent! Who will the TNC spokesperson be? (Because that will partly determine who the FreeDems spokesperson will be.) We can settle details via PM if you like.
I will! I'll message you soon.

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on September 10, 2023, 04:05:22 PMSo am I to take it that the TNC's definition of "monarchy reform" refers only to sorting out the succession - that nothing else is on the table, as far as you fellows are concerned?
I believe that we can make meaningful progress by taking things step by step. By focusing on this essential issue now, we can establish a foundation for future bipartisan agreements.
We can address other matters, sure, but let's start with succession reform.

mximo

In the heart of any democracy lies the principle that the people have the ultimate say in the direction of their nation. In democratic societies, politicians serve as the voice and will of the citizens, not as rulers with unchecked authority. When it comes to fundamental issues such as the monarchy, the will of the people must be at the forefront. Therefore, any decision regarding a change in the monarchy or succession must be treated with the utmost respect for the democratic process.

Just as with any constitutional amendment or major change in the structure of government, the debate over potential alterations to the monarchy's succession should culminate in a referendum. This allows the entire population to have a direct say in the decision-making process. It ensures that the changes proposed by legislators reflect the collective will and values of the nation. This final safeguard, that a major change cannot occur without the support of a majority of citizens in a referendum, is guaranteed in our constitution and protects our country from the tyranny of the minority.

The power of democracy lies in its ability to adapt and evolve in response to the changing aspirations and beliefs of its people. As such, the debate on the monarchy's future should be an inclusive, transparent, and democratic process. Through a referendum, citizens can decide whether to accept or reject any proposed changes, and their decision should be honored and upheld by their elected representatives.

In the end, the debate over the monarchy underscores the essence of democracy itself—the power of the people to shape the destiny of their nation. It is a reminder that the strength of a democracy lies not only in its institutions but in the unwavering commitment to respecting the choices made by its citizens.

Mximo Carbonèl
Florencia Senator

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Thanks very much Bråneu for a stimulating discussion, I look forward to the broad masses seeing it