The Ranked Choice Constitutional Referendum Bill

Started by Miestră Schivă, UrN, June 16, 2020, 01:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Sir Alexandreu Davinescu on October 29, 2020, 06:18:25 AM
Anyway, I have a question about the capitalization in the bill.  Both "Co-prince" and "Head of State" are capitalized in their respective options; is the intention that these are specific office titles, or are they capitalized to indicate their importance?

The capitalization is entirely meaningless. I can remove any capital letters that you suggest.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

xpb

regarding

3.1. At the conclusion of the election, each option is assigned all ballots which express it as first preference. The option with the fewest ballots assigned to it is eliminated. Each ballot cast for the eliminated option is reassigned to the next expressed preference on the ballot.

and

3.4. If any ballot assigned to an eliminated option does not express a next preference, the ballot is treated in the same way as an abstention.

I would suggest that the the option to vote to rank only one, or otherwise less than the total number of options be specifically noted in voting instructions.  This will allow those who wish to make a clear focused selection to do so, rather than being confused with the appearance of having to select an option that they do not support in any manner.

xpb

Quote from: xpb on October 30, 2020, 07:34:30 AM
regarding

3.1. At the conclusion of the election, each option is assigned all ballots which express it as first preference. The option with the fewest ballots assigned to it is eliminated. Each ballot cast for the eliminated option is reassigned to the next expressed preference on the ballot.

and

3.4. If any ballot assigned to an eliminated option does not express a next preference, the ballot is treated in the same way as an abstention.

I would suggest that the the option to vote to rank only one, or otherwise less than the total number of options be specifically noted in voting instructions.  This will allow those who wish to make a clear focused selection to do so, rather than being confused with the appearance of having to select an option that they do not support in any manner.

going more meta

It should become clear that the Ziu should first consider the question as to whether ranked choice voting should be considered as a procedure to modify Organic Law, and until such time as that is established, then this could just boil down to:
- the King of Talossa shall continue to have the political powers granted by the current Organic Law.
or
- Some other specifically noted option

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

I'd be interested in seeing a reply to Xhorxh's thoughts, as well as the removal of the capitalizations on those two items.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Miestră Schivă, UrN

The reply is: these are exactly the same election rules as used for Senators. It would be unseemly and give rise to suggestions of "rigging it" if these were to be changed. Also, this referendum will NOT change Organic Law. It is ONLY to give the Government guidance on which proposal for Organic Law changes to put forward, if any.

The capitalisation is gone.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan