The Ranked Choice Constitutional Referendum Bill

Started by Miestră Schivă, UrN, June 16, 2020, 01:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

D:na Seneschal:

Is this bill intended for the first Clark of regular business?
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Miestră Schivă, UrN

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Thank you for your prompt and economical reply.  Do you intend to Clark it in the current form listed in the first post of this thread?
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Sounds like a trick question, but yes. The counting method is copy/pasted from existing Senats counting procedure.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

Thank you. Two copyediting suggestions: the bill ends with a "4" after a list of "3.x," which is confusing.  You might want to adopt the "FURTHERMORE" formulation for multiple effective clauses, which is suggested to prevent just such confusion, or some other change to make this easier to parse.  Secondly, the bill ends by stating that a proposal must be introduced, but clearly that is unnecessary if the people desire the status quo, so you might want to change that, too.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Sir Alexandreu Davinescu on October 26, 2020, 10:44:43 PM
Secondly, the bill ends by stating that a proposal must be introduced, but clearly that is unnecessary if the people desire the status quo, so you might want to change that, too.

The current text reads:

QuoteIf an option involving a change in the Organic Law wins this referendum, the Government shall introduce an Organic Law amendment to that effect within the lifetime of the 55th Cosă.

If the first option listed ("- the King of Talossa shall continue to have the political powers granted by the current Organic Law.") wins, that requires no change in the Organic Law and thus no proposal to be introduced, I thought that was clear. I'm not 100% sure what you mean by the use of "FURTHERMORE". I suppose clause 4 could be left out altogether if it's less confusing.

Ah, I see I misread the last bit.  Thank you for helping me sort out my confusion.

My note about the numbering was just to stop it from being a bit confusing, since the last clause could be read as part of the list before it.  Just by putting FURTHERMORE, you could make it clear it's another provision and not part of the same number list.

Will you give me a bit more time with this before you Clark it?  There doesn't appear to be any rush, since it doesn't seem to matter if it is queued up for the next election this month or next.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Is that a warning that you're going to veto it, if it goes forward as is?

I added the FURTHERMORE in the place where I think you suggested it go.

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on October 27, 2020, 03:08:38 PM
Is that a warning that you're going to veto it, if it goes forward as is?

I added the FURTHERMORE in the place where I think you suggested it go.

It's not a warning that I'm going to veto it, it's a polite request to keep discussing it because it doesn't make any material difference whether you do so for this Clark or the next and I'd hoped to go over the options on offer.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Well, you have 3 days to discuss those options, and if I don't hear anything that appeals to the Government and the Ziu majority, it's getting Clarked.

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on October 27, 2020, 04:14:04 PM
Well, you have 3 days to discuss those options, and if I don't hear anything that appeals to the Government and the Ziu majority, it's getting Clarked.

Ten minutes after telling me that I would at least have three days to discuss this with you before you Clarked the bill, you Clarked the bill.  It doesn't appear to be a mistake because you explicitly confirmed that you wanted this Clarked as normal to the Secretary of State.  Please explain.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

I'll unClark it if you give me a good reason to. That's a possibility, and the reason why the SoS has given it the "last slot" on the Clark.

Please just remember that it's important to act in good faith and speak honestly while we work, all the more so when discussing something difficult.  If I have to wonder if you're telling the truth about your intentions, then the process can break down quickly.

Anyway, I have a question about the capitalization in the bill.  Both "Co-prince" and "Head of State" are capitalized in their respective options; is the intention that these are specific office titles, or are they capitalized to indicate their importance?

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on October 28, 2020, 10:10:15 PM
I'll unClark it if you give me a good reason to. That's a possibility, and the reason why the SoS has given it the "last slot" on the Clark.

This bill is only listed last because I had trouble figuring out how to add it and whether it was a referendum or not.
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal