News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

[IMMIGRATION] Government White Paper on reforms

Started by Miestră Schivă, UrN, August 22, 2024, 05:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miestră Schivă, UrN

!Estimat.dăs cüncitaxhiens!

In accordance with our Statement of Government policy of August 8th last, the Ministry of Immigration submits this White Paper on Immigration Reform for public discussion, before formal legislative proposals are drawn up.

The Problem:
A steady supply of prospectives turning into a steady supply of new citizens. But:

• a very small percentage of new citizens becoming consistently active. Result: a layer of experienced citizens (those who take on the functions of State or are major cultural figures) which is aging and slowly whittling away
  • An immigration policy designed to get maximum citizens in the door carries a risk of unintentional "broosking" - as long as the Immigration Minister is the main point of contact for new citizens, new citizens who are not properly conversant with our political landscape will tend to align with the Minister's party (assuming they become active), even if the Minister is carefully impartial.
  • Time and energy wasted processing citizenship applications which go nowhere, either before or after citizenship is granted.

Only the oldest among us will remember the days when every citizen not only had to buy a book on Talossan history and culture and pass a test on it, but be vetted by the Uppermost Cort and be granted citizenship by the Ziu. Perhaps we don't need to go that far. But that made sure that only those who really wanted to participate in Talossa became citizens.

The Principle: Quality over Quantity of citizens. Our Immigration policy not to be judged by number of applications for citizenship, but by number of new citizens who become active and "replace" older citizens who wish to retire, or at least take a break.

Suggested Reforms fall into two categories: pre-screening prospectives and post-screening new citizens.

• Pre-screening: El Lexhatx E.2 states: "Additionally, the Immigration Minister shall be required to collect an essay, written by the applicant, entitled "Why I am Interested in Becoming a Talossan."". This does not happen. We get one or two sentences at best, which often show ignorance or incuriosity about what Talossa is. Suggested reform: The legislation be changed to specify what qualities should be displayed in such an essay, and the Minister to be permitted to put a hold on citizenship applications which do not display such qualities.
  • Post-screening: Making a pass in the Civics Test (or an altered form of it) mandatory before a grant of citizenship can be given. Or, alternatively/additionally: require two or more citizens to request a grant of citizenship.

Feedback on these ideas, and any other suggestions that might improve quality of new citizens, is encouraged.

Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"They proved me right, they proved me wrong, but they could never last this long"

Breneir Tzaracomprada

I would suggest we directly survey some citizens who have stayed and identify common elements before moving forward with firm ideas on reform. A broad discussion is good but we might find more insights by also talking to people who've recently gone through the process.

As an example,
@Barclamïu da Miéletz
@Carlüs Éovart Vilaçafat
@þerxh Sant-Enogat
and others...

As somewhat new citizens, what were some elements of the process that kept you involved and engaged during your immigration?

We might even consider a focused consultation (survey) of citizens immigrating within the past year or two as a part of identifying elements to lean into and stress points for improvement in the process.

I am also concerned that two screens is excessive (we must pass a test for the ID cards so I'd be fine with a test for citizenship before granting too) and that if broosking, unintentional or not, is a serious concern then we need to consider transitioning to an apolitical Civil Service system for immigration processing. Put top-level policy with the Immigration Minister but leave its administrative implementation to the apolitical Civil Service.

Barclamïu da Miéletz

Barclamïu da Miéletz
=====
Creator of Talossan licence plates and Talossan road signs as well as Consul for Cézembre in Vuode and PSC in the Zouaves
Founder of Talossa24, Deputy Minister of STUFF and member of COFFEE

Barclamïu da Miéletz

Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on August 22, 2024, 11:05:15 PMAs somewhat new citizens, what were some elements of the process that kept you involved and engaged during your immigration?
I don't know, I was determined to become a citizen and Talossa seemed really interesting anyway.
Barclamïu da Miéletz
=====
Creator of Talossan licence plates and Talossan road signs as well as Consul for Cézembre in Vuode and PSC in the Zouaves

Barclamïu da Miéletz

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on August 22, 2024, 05:25:03 PMWe get one or two sentences at best, which often show ignorance or incuriosity about what Talossa is.
I did also write just a few sentences, I admit (I mean pretty much everyone knows) but I was genuinely curious about Talossa.
Barclamïu da Miéletz
=====

Sir Lüc

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on August 22, 2024, 05:25:03 PMTime and energy wasted processing citizenship applications which go nowhere, either before or after citizenship is granted.

I should say this is also a big issue for those of us that wish to engage with prospectives but don't have much time to do so. A flood of immigration threads only makes selecting which prospectives are worth engaging with more time consuming and difficult. Immigration officials end up doing a lot of work for nothing. This is why I advocated for pre-screening and why I will support policies going in this direction.

I should also say post-screening should not be intended as a way to ensure we only let in Mic'haglhs and Þerxhes, aka guys who are mostly always around and do both politics and culture; it is a way of ensuring new citizens are familiar with our traditions and culture, but it should also go hand in hand with a "welcome packet" of things new citizens can get excited about, beyond the obvious (eg. we do fantasy sports! we do music! you can get a Cosă seat for free! you can join the College of Arms! people have done newspapers/radio/podcasts in the past, maybe you want to start your own! you can join the Civil Service! etc. etc.).
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB MC
Finance Minister / Ministreu dals Finançuns
Deputy Secretary of State / Distain Secretar d'Estat
Deputy Scribe of Abbavilla / Distain Grefieir d'Abbavillă
Directeur Sportif, Gordon Hiatus Support Team

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

One area we are not doing terribly well in is engaging prospectives. We used to have a New Citizens Committee and every immigrant was assigned a mentor of sorts. I'm not sure we can do that with how many new immigrant threads there are, however.
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

þerxh Sant-Enogat

For me, the immigration motivation was clear because I was interested in Cézembre—my childhood place—being a province of Talossa, and I've been fascinated by the history of this micro-nation I read about a long time ago, and I wanted to be part of it.

During my initial interactions, I enjoyed chatting with some of you (who will recognize themselves). I was surprised that it's always the same people who take an interest in newcomers.

About Brooksing, I didn't feel like I was being approached for electoral reasons; I joined the party of those who had interacted with me.

I was also surprised to discover that the number of active citizens was that low, and that responsibilities can come on you very quickly ! And sometimes with the feeling that most of Talossa does not care about the time you spend on doing things..

More generally

It does take time to engage with new immigrants but from the comments they write in their immigration applications, it's easy to spot those who are genuinely interested compared to the casual ones.
Generally, those who are truly interested take the initiative to start conversations on Wittenberg.

Some people clearly wanted to immigrate just to get a new ID card. Maybe we should reserve this card for those who have been active for a while (should an ad hoc committee determine the level of activity?).
We could for instance consider an intermediate status, like an apprentice in some guilds, (or tourist visa holders ?) and rely on immigrants motivation to become full citizens after some compulsory stages ?
þerxh Sant-Enogat, SMC, MC
Sénéchal de Cézembre,
Túischac'h dal 60:éă Cosă,
Duceu pareßel dal Aliançù Progreßïu

Dame Litz Cjantscheir, UrN

I've been reflecting on why so many new citizens start with boundless enthusiasm but gradually drift away, and it occurred to me that this process is strikingly similar to what happens when someone takes up a new hobby. Imagine discovering something new and exciting—a sport, a craft, or an instrument. At first, you're completely captivated. You purchase all the necessary gear, immerse yourself in tutorials, and can't wait to see yourself mastering this new interest. But as time goes on, life's daily demands start to creep in, and that initial excitement begins to fade. Before long, the hobby that once thrilled you starts to feel like an afterthought, and all that gear you bought ends up collecting dust in a cupboard.

I believe this is precisely what we're witnessing with many new citizens in Talossa. They join us with a bucket full of enthusiasm, eager to dive into the unique world of our nation, keen to explore its culture, engage with its governance, and perhaps even shape its future. But as time progresses, the realities of their everyday lives start to take priority, and that initial passion begins to wane. Without a way to sustain their engagement, their participation dwindles, and we end up losing citizens who once showed so much potential to make meaningful contributions.

Given the issues that Miestră raised regarding our current immigration process, particularly around the lack of long-term engagement from new citizens, and the various suggestions that have been brought forward, I think it's crucial that we consider strategies to keep that initial spark alive. We need to help new citizens maintain their enthusiasm and remain actively involved over the long haul, turning that early interest into a lasting commitment.

Here are some ideas on how we might achieve this:

1. Ongoing Engagement Through Mentorship: One of the most effective ways to sustain enthusiasm is through personal connection. Sir Txec mentioned the importance of engaging with new citizens, and I fully agree. We could reinstate a structured mentorship programme, where each new citizen is paired with an experienced Talossan who can guide them through their first few months. This mentor would act as a friendly face and a knowledgeable guide, helping them navigate the ins and outs of Talossan life, whether it's understanding our political landscape, exploring cultural opportunities, or simply finding a social niche. Regular check-ins and ongoing support could make a significant difference in keeping new citizens engaged.

2. Structured Activities and Challenges: Another way to maintain interest is by offering structured activities that provide a sense of purpose and achievement. I propose introducing a "First 100 Days in Talossa" programme designed specifically for new citizens. This programme could include a series of activities or challenges, such as participating in local events, contributing to a community project, or attending virtual meet-ups. Completing these tasks could come with small rewards or public recognition, which would not only keep their enthusiasm alive but also help them integrate more fully into our community. It would also give them a clear path to follow, making the transition from newcomer to active participant smoother and more rewarding.

3. Clear Pathways to Involvement: Building on Sir Lüc's idea of a "welcome packet," I think we should expand this concept into a detailed roadmap for new citizens. This roadmap could outline clear, actionable steps for getting involved in various aspects of Talossan life. Whether it's joining the Cosă, getting involved in provincial activities, starting or contributing to a cultural project, or even exploring opportunities within the Civil Service, giving new citizens specific avenues to explore would help them find their place in our community more quickly. By laying out these pathways, we can help them turn their initial curiosity into sustained involvement.

4. Building a Sense of Belonging: A crucial aspect of maintaining engagement is fostering a strong sense of belonging. It's often the personal connections and the feeling of being part of a close-knit community that keeps people coming back. We could enhance this sense of belonging by organising regular social events, both online and in person, where new citizens can meet and interact with others in a relaxed setting. Small group discussions or interest-based meet-ups could also help them connect with like-minded individuals. The more connected they feel to other Talossans, the more likely they are to remain engaged and active within our community.

5. Regular Feedback and Adjustment: Finally, we mustn't overlook the importance of regular feedback. As we implement these strategies, it's crucial to create opportunities for new citizens to share their experiences and provide feedback on what's working for them and what isn't. This could be done through surveys, informal check-ins, or even focus groups. By actively listening to their concerns and suggestions, we can continually refine our approach, ensuring that we're meeting their needs and addressing any issues before they lead to disengagement.

By implementing these strategies, I believe we can ensure that the initial enthusiasm new citizens bring doesn't just fade away but instead deepens into a lasting commitment to Talossa. This approach would not only help keep our community vibrant and active but also ensure a steady influx of engaged citizens who are genuinely invested in the future of our nation. We all know that the strength of Talossa lies in the dedication and participation of its citizens, so let's make sure we're doing everything we can to support and nurture that dedication from the moment they join us.
Litz Cjantscheir LLB, LLM
Senior Justice/Judge of the Cort Pü Inalt

Tric'hard Lenxheir

I would suggest an IQ test. I joined Talossa because I was interested in the language and the politics. Unfortunately I fairly quickly realized that I am not smart enough to truly participate in learning the language (I've managed three words LOL) and the political side, well I managed to get myself elected to the Senate and I am capable of voting but I don't always understand the issues nor do I really understand the Constitution (OrgLaw I think) and I am completely lost when it comes to the politics (or lack thereof) of my home province of Vuode. So weeding out dumb people like me might help.
Tric'hard Lenxheir (Senator and Man Without A Party)

þerxh Sant-Enogat

Quote from: Tric'hard Lenxheir on August 23, 2024, 02:01:13 PM(...) I am completely lost when it comes to the politics (or lack thereof) of my home province of Vuode. So weeding out dumb people like me might help.
If I may, you're far from dumb and you are very important for Talossa. Being bad at politics is managing to collect 6 votes for a party with 3 candidate MCs :-D
þerxh Sant-Enogat, SMC, MC
Sénéchal de Cézembre,
Túischac'h dal 60:éă Cosă,
Duceu pareßel dal Aliançù Progreßïu

Barclamïu da Miéletz

Quote from: Tric'hard Lenxheir on August 23, 2024, 02:01:13 PMUnfortunately I fairly quickly realized that I am not smart enough to truly participate in learning the language (I've managed three words LOL)
Don't worry, you're somewhat better than me, I only know "azul". Whenever you see me having something written in Talossan I used L'Översteir and help from others.
Barclamïu da Miéletz
=====

Tric'hard Lenxheir

Quote from: Barclamïu da Miéletz on August 23, 2024, 07:13:11 PM
Quote from: Tric'hard Lenxheir on August 23, 2024, 02:01:13 PMUnfortunately I fairly quickly realized that I am not smart enough to truly participate in learning the language (I've managed three words LOL)
Don't worry, you're somewhat better than me, I only know "azul". Whenever you see me having something written in Talossan I used L'Översteir and help from others.

I know azul, per and contra
Tric'hard Lenxheir (Senator and Man Without A Party)

Miestră Schivă, UrN

The Government thanks everyone who's participated so far, and encourages further debate.

"They proved me right, they proved me wrong, but they could never last this long"

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: þerxh Sant-Enogat on August 23, 2024, 10:28:15 AMDuring my initial interactions, I enjoyed chatting with some of you (who will recognize themselves). I was surprised that it's always the same people who take an interest in newcomers.

About Brooksing, I didn't feel like I was being approached for electoral reasons; I joined the party of those who had interacted with me.

But don't you see, that was exactly the problem? You were being broosked and you didn't even realise it. That's why those people were "taking an interest in you", and in all other new citizens - they were trawling for political advantage. That's what we want to avoid in future.