News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Referendum on the Succession

Started by Miestră Schivă, UrN, September 22, 2024, 02:48:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miestră Schivă, UrN

¡Estimat.dăs citaxhiens!

60RZ9 has passed the Ziu with the requisite majorities, endorsing @Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB  as Heir Presumptive to the Throne of Talossa. I am proceeding from this point on the assumption that His Current Majesty will not exercise his royal veto.

On the basis of my Government's principle of Not Messing Around, and using my authority as Seneschal under Organic Law VII.13, I announce that the Referendum to confirm the Heir Presumptive as named in 60RZ9 will be held during the same period as the Third Clark of this Cosă, that is, 1st to 21st October Talossan Standard Time.

For reasons of propriety, this Referendum (and the attendant Clark) will be administered by Deputy Secretary of State @Sir Lüc . I should also note that, on the assumption that this referendum passes, @Sir Lüc is this Government's preferred candidate to become the next Secretary of State. I am making this announcement so the Chancery will have continuity to make long-term plans, for example, on the replacement of the Database.

Questions? Comments?

Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"They proved me right, they proved me wrong, but they could never last this long"

Breneir Tzaracomprada

QuoteFor reasons of propriety, this Referendum (and the attendant Clark) will be administered by Deputy Secretary of State @Sir Lüc . I should also note that, on the assumption that this referendum passes, @Sir Lüc is this Government's preferred candidate to become the next Secretary of State. I am making this announcement so the Chancery will have continuity to make long-term plans, for example, on the replacement of the Database.

Open Society encourages @Sir Lüc to confirm that as Secretary of State he will be nonpartisan and announce internal Chancery policy to that effect. His vote against 60RZ4 has raised questions on his views on the matter.

Sir Lüc

My views on the Chancery and the virtues of nonpartisan public service are clear, as are my views about the merits and motives behind RZ4.

Some years ago, I had the rare occasion to appoint a SoS myself. He too had just served in the Cabinet I was leading, and was an earnest and outspoken political player. Nevertheless, he immediately renounced all his political affiliations, and proceeded to serve with impartiality and distinction. It has always been my intention that, if given the chance to serve myself, I would carry myself the exact same way.

That intention has not changed.
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB MC
Finance Minister / Ministreu dals Finançuns
Deputy Secretary of State / Distain Secretar d'Estat
Deputy Scribe of Abbavilla / Distain Grefieir d'Abbavillă
Directeur Sportif, Gordon Hiatus Support Team

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Sir Lüc on September 22, 2024, 07:07:39 PMMy views on the Chancery and the virtues of nonpartisan public service are clear, as are my views about the merits and motives behind RZ4.

Some years ago, I had the rare occasion to appoint a SoS myself. He too had just served in the Cabinet I was leading, and was an earnest and outspoken political player. Nevertheless, he immediately renounced all his political affiliations, and proceeded to serve with impartiality and distinction. It has always been my intention that, if given the chance to serve myself, I would carry myself the exact same way.

That intention has not changed.

Your vote and your intention are not aligned. As SoS, would you be willing to issue an internal policy prohibiting the taking of partisan offices by members of the Chancery?

Sir Lüc

Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on September 22, 2024, 07:13:49 PMAs SoS, would you be willing to issue an internal policy prohibiting the taking of partisan offices by members of the Chancery?

Yes and no; the policy would be limited to myself as SoS, because my hope is that I'll be able to appoint junior members to the Chancery, each responsible for assisting in delivering one of the multiple functions of the Chancery. Each of the junior members doesn't strictly need to be apolitical, and it would be a pretty onerous requirement to impose given our very limited pool of active citizen. (The same crucial issue I have with recreating a PermSec for Immigration, incidentally).
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB MC

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Sir Lüc on September 23, 2024, 05:04:30 AM
Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on September 22, 2024, 07:13:49 PMAs SoS, would you be willing to issue an internal policy prohibiting the taking of partisan offices by members of the Chancery?

Yes and no; the policy would be limited to myself as SoS, because my hope is that I'll be able to appoint junior members to the Chancery, each responsible for assisting in delivering one of the multiple functions of the Chancery. Each of the junior members doesn't strictly need to be apolitical, and it would be a pretty onerous requirement to impose given our very limited pool of active citizen. (The same crucial issue I have with recreating a PermSec for Immigration, incidentally).

Ok, so you are confirming that you will issue an internal policy prohibiting the SoS from taking a partisan office? This is what I asked (almost begged) Txec to do but for reasons that escape me it never happened which is why I moved forward with legislation.

Sir Lüc

Well, I would describe it as a personal rather than internal policy, since I consider it a matter of opinion that applies to myself alone. My plan is to resign from the Ziu and the Cabinet, to comply with statutory restrictions, and to additionally continue not holding membership in any political party and continue not campaigning for any political party. I will terminate any formal or informal affiliation with the broader Avant coalition, but I will keep proposing legislation that may align with some of their planks - which is kind of a natural consequence of having inspired at least a part of it - if I have time to work on some drafts I have in my drawer. I also will continue voicing my opinion on other legislation or policy, as I believe any citizen is always entitled to. (You bet you haven't heard the last about flexible and scalable government!)

As I said earlier in the thread, this is how my own chosen appointee conducted himself as SoS, and how I plan to conduct myself as well. I also believe Sir Txec did a sterling job as SoS and always acted impartially and fairly; both things can be true at the same time.
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB MC

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Sir Lüc on September 23, 2024, 01:10:59 PMWell, I would describe it as a personal rather than internal policy, since I consider it a matter of opinion that applies to myself alone. My plan is to resign from the Ziu and the Cabinet, to comply with statutory restrictions, and to additionally continue not holding membership in any political party and continue not campaigning for any political party. I will terminate any formal or informal affiliation with the broader Avant coalition, but I will keep proposing legislation that may align with some of their planks - which is kind of a natural consequence of having inspired at least a part of it - if I have time to work on some drafts I have in my drawer. I also will continue voicing my opinion on other legislation or policy, as I believe any citizen is always entitled to. (You bet you haven't heard the last about flexible and scalable government!)

As I said earlier in the thread, this is how my own chosen appointee conducted himself as SoS, and how I plan to conduct myself as well. I also believe Sir Txec did a sterling job as SoS and always acted impartially and fairly; both things can be true at the same time.

Luc, whether it is personal or internal would you please be willing to formalize it in writing (maybe just an official re-phrasing of what you just wrote?) and make it public to mark it as a precedent? Legislation was my preferred route but this would do enough to lay down something firm for a future SoS to reference.

That's all I am asking now.

Sir Lüc

I can re-state this once I am officially appointed, sure.
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB MC

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Sir Lüc on September 23, 2024, 02:19:59 PMI can re-state this once I am officially appointed, sure.

Thank you Luc.

GV

Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on September 23, 2024, 01:56:04 PM
Quote from: Sir Lüc on September 23, 2024, 01:10:59 PMWell, I would describe it as a personal rather than internal policy, since I consider it a matter of opinion that applies to myself alone. My plan is to resign from the Ziu and the Cabinet, to comply with statutory restrictions, and to additionally continue not holding membership in any political party and continue not campaigning for any political party. I will terminate any formal or informal affiliation with the broader Avant coalition, but I will keep proposing legislation that may align with some of their planks - which is kind of a natural consequence of having inspired at least a part of it - if I have time to work on some drafts I have in my drawer. I also will continue voicing my opinion on other legislation or policy, as I believe any citizen is always entitled to. (You bet you haven't heard the last about flexible and scalable government!)

Luc, whether it is personal or internal would you please be willing to formalize it in writing (maybe just an official re-phrasing of what you just wrote?) and make it public to mark it as a precedent? Legislation was my preferred route but this would do enough to lay down something firm for a future SoS to reference.

+1

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: GV on September 24, 2024, 08:14:25 AM
Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on September 23, 2024, 01:56:04 PM

+1

Thank you GV, it is a relief to see a willingness to at least informally, if not in law, entrench the nonpartisanship of the office of Secretary of State.