News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Ünă Cumpetaziun da Mocts

Started by Iac Marscheir, October 05, 2024, 02:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GV

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on October 06, 2024, 12:05:12 AMWell, pierogi is one of the only two Polish words I know, the other being solidarność

Decades ago, I had in my voting precinct a man who knew Lech Wałęsa in Gdańsk.  I should have picked his brain, but I was working the election that day, and said voter probably would have been annoyed at that.

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP on October 07, 2024, 02:00:01 PM
Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on October 07, 2024, 10:44:19 AMI think they work together then. More words provide more opportunities for sayings, colloquialisms, and proverbs to be developed naturally.

As you pointed out earlier Talossan already has tens of thousands of words, more than enough to have saying, colloquialisms and proverbs. Though their development depends on the language being used extensively, which so far has not been the case (the only person right now to do that is Iac), so ideally we would want a campaign to encourage citizens to learn and use the language instead.

That is a good point but I am saying I do not see them as mutually exclusive, Marcel. The campaign you speak of is likely to be years-long and to be carried forth by governments of varying perspectives.

We have people of varied interests so asking people if they are interested in both or either does not seem like a bad idea. If a group of people want to help expand the language vocabulary (in the short to medium term), why would that take away from the long-term campaign you prefer?

Tric'hard Lenxheir

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP on October 07, 2024, 02:00:01 PM
Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on October 07, 2024, 10:44:19 AMI think they work together then. More words provide more opportunities for sayings, colloquialisms, and proverbs to be developed naturally.

As you pointed out earlier Talossan already has tens of thousands of words, more than enough to have saying, colloquialisms and proverbs. Though their development depends on the language being used extensively, which so far has not been the case (the only person right now to do that is Iac), so ideally we would want a campaign to encourage citizens to learn and use the language instead.

How about lessons on how to type out some of these characters in Talossan?
Tric'hard Lenxheir (Senator and Man Without A Party)

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP on October 07, 2024, 02:00:01 PMAs you pointed out earlier Talossan already has tens of thousands of words, more than enough to have saying, colloquialisms and proverbs. Though their development depends on the language being used extensively, which so far has not been the case (the only person right now to do that is Iac), so ideally we would want a campaign to encourage citizens to learn and use the language instead.

KR1 apparently made up a whole heap of proverbs but of course only he ever used them. But as to learning and using, that goes back to the Culture Ministry's top priority, which unfortunately seems to have gone onto the "too hard" basket. However, the responses to this thread show that the repressed demand is there. We just need "prüms päçen", to coin a phrase.

Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"They proved me right, they proved me wrong, but they could never last this long"

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Tric'hard Lenxheir on October 07, 2024, 06:44:36 PMHow about lessons on how to type out some of these characters in Talossan?

Almost all of them can be easily typed with the Windows International Keyboard. The annoying exception is "ă", but that's more-or-less optional.

Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"They proved me right, they proved me wrong, but they could never last this long"

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on October 07, 2024, 08:07:11 PM
Quote from: Tric'hard Lenxheir on October 07, 2024, 06:44:36 PMHow about lessons on how to type out some of these characters in Talossan?

Almost all of them can be easily typed with the Windows International Keyboard. The annoying exception is "ă", but that's more-or-less optional.

It seems like all the characters, including ă, are typable with the Canadian Multilingual Standard layout, though I haven't tried that myself yet.
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

Tric'hard Lenxheir

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on October 07, 2024, 08:04:13 PM
Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP on October 07, 2024, 02:00:01 PMAs you pointed out earlier Talossan already has tens of thousands of words, more than enough to have saying, colloquialisms and proverbs. Though their development depends on the language being used extensively, which so far has not been the case (the only person right now to do that is Iac), so ideally we would want a campaign to encourage citizens to learn and use the language instead.

KR1 apparently made up a whole heap of proverbs but of course only he ever used them. But as to learning and using, that goes back to the Culture Ministry's top priority, which unfortunately seems to have gone onto the "too hard" basket. However, the responses to this thread show that the repressed demand is there. We just need "prüms päçen", to coin a phrase.

None of them are on my keyboard I have to use alt characters
Tric'hard Lenxheir (Senator and Man Without A Party)

Iac Marscheir

Per reviénar àl topic urixhinal, schi 'n däts se setadra pr'iensă tal cumpetaziun, ¿qi aicì estadra verschain à partiçipar?

(Hutsch, la cunxhuntivă cunxhuntïu neceßa reformaziun.)

[Returning to the original topic, if a date were set for such a competition, who here would be likely to participate?]

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

Amadréu à partiçipar. (I hope that is correctly written!)
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Quote from: Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB on October 08, 2024, 10:13:34 AMAmadréu à partiçipar. (I hope that is correctly written!)
Just Amadréu partiçipar is fine.

Usually you'd be right to have the à there, but amar is one of nine verbs after which it is left out.

Sir Lüc

Partiçipadréu glätsmint!

Quote from: Iac Marscheir on October 08, 2024, 09:49:51 AMHutsch, la cunxhuntivă cunxhuntïu neceßa reformaziun.

Créu ça nominadra 'n cervixhă, propi qe reformaziun :p
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB MC
Finance Minister / Ministreu dals Finançuns
Deputy Secretary of State / Distain Secretar d'Estat
Deputy Scribe of Abbavilla / Distain Grefieir d'Abbavillă
Directeur Sportif, Gordon Hiatus Support Team

I have struggled to translate this phrase from Sir Luc: Créu ça nominadra 'n cervixhă, propi qe reformaziun.

I can recognize a few words like creed, name?, surgery? reform?
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Quote from: Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB on October 08, 2024, 12:15:20 PMI have struggled to translate this phrase from Sir Luc: Créu ça nominadra 'n cervixhă, propi qe reformaziun.

I can recognize a few words like creed, name?, surgery? reform?

It's supposed to mean "I believe it's called surgery, rather than reform", but it's not quite right.

In general Översteir is not a translator, it's a dictionary, and just like with any dictionary looking up words as-is and attempting a 1-to-1 translation won't always give you sensible results.

Gotcha. I was thrown by the irregular verb credarh.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Iac Marscheir

Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on October 07, 2024, 03:09:03 PMIf a group of people want to help expand the language vocabulary [...]

Noi tiennent detxà 'n pläts per creatar es suxhestar dels noveux mocts. C'e aicì: El Fil dels Noveux Mocts Suxhestats