18th Convocation of the Provincial Assembly of Maritiimi-Maxhestic

Started by Ian Plätschisch, August 02, 2020, 08:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Plätschisch

18th Convocation of the Provincial Assembly of Maritiimi-Maxhestic

Given I am still technically the Grand Specific Undersecretary, I am the only one left in a provincial executive role, which gives me the best authority to open this convocation.

Members, besides myself, are:
-Sir Alexandreu Davinescu
-Jordan Placie
-Cresti d.I. Nouacastra-L.

Ian Plätschisch

Since each Convocation is required to elect a GGS, I recommend we get going.

I nominate Sir Alexandreu Davinescu.

Ian Plätschisch

Seeing no other nominations, I open the voting to elect Sir Alexandreu Davinescu as Grand General Secretary.

I vote in favor.

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Ian Plätschisch

The vote in the 17th Convocation ended earlier today, but given this one has already started I'm not sure that carries any weight.

Let's just move forward with this one. I will dissolve the last convocation officially as the new GGS for that body.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Ian Plätschisch

This vote ended a few days ago. Alexandreu Davinescu is elected GGS of MM.

One of your first acts should be to certify to the Secretary of State how you break the tie in the Senate election.

Righto.  I thank the Assembly for its confidence and accept the position.

S:reu Secretary of State @Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM , currently there is a tie in the race between two candidates.  I have been duly elected under provincial law as the figurehead of the Eighteenth Convocation of Maritiimi-Maxhestic.  Our law specifies that in cases of a tie vote, it is my duty to break the tie.  Accordingly, I hereby certify to you that the new senator for Maritiimi-Maxhestic is @Ian Plätschisch .  Please record the results of the vote and notify us accordingly.  Thank you for your diligence in this duty, for which the province is grateful.

Please also make me moderator of this board, as the local provincial head of government.

If tagging is insufficient, I will also send him an email, but my recollection is that Txec usually notices tags immediately.

In times past, it was my practice as GGS to begin each new convocation by suggesting that we request the SoS run our election in the forthcoming election, just in case.  Is that still viable?  Right now I don't think we even have an M3, since Cresti resigned.

Ian Plätschisch

Quote from: Sir Alexandreu Davinescu on August 24, 2020, 12:54:57 PM
In times past, it was my practice as GGS to begin each new convocation by suggesting that we request the SoS run our election in the forthcoming election, just in case.  Is that still viable?  Right now I don't think we even have an M3, since Cresti resigned.
Currently I don't think that would be allowed under MM law. I'm planning to introduce a big reform package soon though.

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

Quote from: Sir Alexandreu Davinescu on August 24, 2020, 12:53:11 PM
Righto.  I thank the Assembly for its confidence and accept the position.

S:reu Secretary of State @Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM , currently there is a tie in the race between two candidates.  I have been duly elected under provincial law as the figurehead of the Eighteenth Convocation of Maritiimi-Maxhestic.  Our law specifies that in cases of a tie vote, it is my duty to break the tie.  Accordingly, I hereby certify to you that the new senator for Maritiimi-Maxhestic is @Ian Plätschisch .  Please record the results of the vote and notify us accordingly.  Thank you for your diligence in this duty, for which the province is grateful.

Please also make me moderator of this board, as the local provincial head of government.

If tagging is insufficient, I will also send him an email, but my recollection is that Txec usually notices tags immediately.

@Ian Plätschisch is hereby duly acknowledged as the new Senator for Maritiimi-Maxhestic. I have also updated moderation of the provincial forum as requested.

Dr. Txec dal Nordselvă,
Secretary of State
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Thank you very much!

Okay, Senator Ian. Go vote or legislate or whatever.

Ian Plätschisch

SENATE ELECTIONS REFORM ACT

CBLA.C.2, which currently reads:
QuoteC.2. Senate elections for Maritiimi-Maxhestic shall be held simultaneously to national elections.

C.2.1. During the week preceding the election, the Maximally Magnificent Majordomo shall call for those wishing to run for Senate to make public both their candidacy and a 50-word statement.

C.2.2. At the start of the election, the Maximally Magnificent Majordomo shall open the voting, and voters shall rank the candidates in preference order. The rules of Instant Runoff Voting shall be used to determine the winner.

C.2.3. Ties at any iteration shall be broken by the Grand General Secretary.

Is amended to read:

QuoteC.2. Senate elections for Maritiimi-Maxhestic shall be held simultaneously to national elections.

C.2.1. No later than one week before the beginning of the election, the Maximally Magnificent Majordomo shall certify to the Provincial Assembly that he or she is capable of conducting the election per the provisions below. If this certification does not occur, then it will be automatically held that the province is not in a state of electoral readiness, and the Chancery is requested to conduct the election. In this case, the Grand General Secretary shall notify the Chancery to this effect, and C.2.2 and C.2.3 are ignored.

C.2.2. During the week preceding the election, the Maximally Magnificent Majordomo shall call for those wishing to run for Senate to make public both their candidacy and a 50-word statement. Neither the Grand General Secretary nor the Maximally Magnificent Majordomo shall run for Senate.

C.2.3. At the start of the election, the Maximally Magnificent Majordomo shall open the voting, which shall be via private ballot. Voters shall rank the candidates in preference order. The rules of Instant Runoff Voting shall be used to determine the winner.

C.2.4. Ties at any iteration shall be broken by the Grand General Secretary.

Ian Plätschisch

ASSEMBLY VOTING REFORM ACT

CBLA.D.4, which currently reads:
QuoteD.4. Any member of the Assembly of Maritiimi-Maxhestic may put a bill up to a vote of the Assembly by publicly providing the text of the bill accompanied by a notice that voting on the bill has begun.

D.4.1. Voting on a bill lasts for two weeks after the notice is given or until all Assemblypersons have voted, whichever comes first.

D.4.2. Assemblypersons may change their vote on a bill until the voting period expires.

shall be amended to read:

QuoteD.4. Any member of the Assembly of Maritiimi-Maxhestic may put a bill up to a vote of the Assembly by publicly providing the text of the bill accompanied by a notice that voting on the bill has begun.

D.4.1. Voting on a bill lasts for two weeks after the notice is given or until the outcome of the vote becomes mathematically certain assuming all votes are final, whichever comes first. Assemblypersons may change their vote on a bill until the vote closes. This procedure shall also be used to elect provincial officials.

D.4.2. The current Convocation of the Assembly dissolves immediately upon the closing of the Assembly Call for the subsequent Convocation, at which point that Convocation is seated. When a Convocation is dissolved, any votes in progress are voided.

Quote from: Ian Plätschisch on August 25, 2020, 02:47:26 PM
ASSEMBLY VOTING REFORM ACT

CBLA.D.4, which currently reads:

D.4.1. Voting on a bill lasts for two weeks after the notice is given or until all Assemblypersons have voted, whichever comes first.

D.4.2. Assemblypersons may change their vote on a bill until the voting period expires.

shall be amended to read:

D.4.1. Voting on a bill lasts for two weeks after the notice is given or until the outcome of the vote becomes mathematically certain, whichever comes first. Assemblypersons may not change their vote on a bill. This procedure shall also be used to elect provincial officials.

D.4.2. The current Convocation of the Assembly dissolves immediately upon the closing of the Assembly Call for the subsequent Convocation, at which point that Convocation is seated. When a Convocation is dissolved, any votes in progress are voided.
I'd suggest that Assemblypersons should be able to change their vote until the vote is concluded.  It doesn't seem like it would lead to any harm and it might lead to some good if a solid argument sways someone to a better conclusion.