New Talossan History Project

Started by Miestră Schivă, UrN, August 04, 2020, 07:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Keep going, AD. Just one more post, and you'll convince someone that you didn't pull out of the project in a huff when we didn't let you take over.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Just leave me alone -- and don't use my writing, please.

Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Miestră Schivă, UrN

So if no-one has any objections, the Government is seriously considering making the current version of the project Required Reading for all new citizens. Thoughts?

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

Adam Grigoriu

First of all, forgive me if I'm sticking my nose someplace I don't belong, given that I'm not associated with the project, nor a member of the College at all for that matter. I've got a few thoughts as one of those new citizens.

I read through it once, and I likely will have to again so I don't miss anything. It was quite eye-opening with regards to what I've missed during my time away, and it sheds a lot of light on why things are the way they are, post-Reunison.

My only concerns are that it may be information overload for those uninitiated, and I'd be cautious of scaring people away with some of the more, shall we say, unpleasant parts.

Like I said, I'm not entirely unfamiliar with Talossan history and politics, and there's still a lot that's incredibly confusing. Also, while I know that a lot of stuff happened back then, a lot of it bad, I also understand that behavior like that isn't acceptable anymore and never was in the first place. The person who discovers the Kingdom via Wikipedia might not.

I'm not going to say I don't recommend people read it. It might be worth adding a summary and a disclaimer, or something similar though.

Just my two bence.
Current
    Director of the Office of Preparedness and Response, RTMC HQ

Former
    Minister of the Interior & Permanent Secretary for Immigration

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Well, that is an eye-opening reaction, considering I personally thought it was too short and leaves too much out!  ;D Can I ask you what parts you found confusing? Because those parts should be expanded/explained, which would of course make it longer.

This is the summary version, but I don't think at this stage we should do as they used to in King Robert I's day and make all newbies pass a multiple-choice open book test on Talossan history...

Miestră Schivă, UrN

RESEARCH REQUEST: can someone please go through the Digest of Laws for 1998-9 and find out which one was King Robert's failed bill to make it illegal for any Talossan to speak to any Penguinean?

GV

https://wiki.talossa.com/Law:The_Diplomacy_With_Penguinea_Act is the closest thing I could find by way of a Wiki search for 'Penguinea'. 

Glüc da Dhi S.H.

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on September 17, 2020, 12:29:12 AM
So if no-one has any objections, the Government is seriously considering making the current version of the project Required Reading for all new citizens. Thoughts?
I feel the current version is still pretty one-sided, especially post-2005
Director of Money Laundering and Sportswashing, Banqeu da Cézembre

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Glüc da Dhi S.H. on September 17, 2020, 10:09:25 AM
I feel the current version is still pretty one-sided, especially post-2005

Then amend it. You're a member of the project (as is Sir Cresti).

I feel that once again this is a situation where we have to press on to concentrate minds. Only GV and I have been contributing so far. Of course it's got a pro-Republican tinge.

Adam Grigoriu

Alright, having re-read it, it makes significantly more sense the second time around. I think a lot of the confusion on my part is down to the fact that there at least looks to be a lot of nuance, and the re-read helped cement some of the smaller details, specifically names and the like. Also, it's not nearly as long as I thought, it looked a lot longer on my phone.

Now off to read A Nation Sundered...
Current

Former

Miestră Schivă, UrN

It's a great read. GV's account is rollicking.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on September 17, 2020, 05:03:55 AM
RESEARCH REQUEST: can someone please go through the Digest of Laws for 1998-9 and find out which one was King Robert's failed bill to make it illegal for any Talossan to speak to any Penguinean?

Another request for research: can anyone stomach reading OldWitt in 2004-2005 to see whether there's a public mention of KR1's plan to just start a new Talossan language, from scratch, that the Republic wouldn't be able to use like we used el glhetg? I know it happened, but it would be best if he'd mentioned it in public. Half the stuff Ben did you wouldn't believe until you saw the evidence. That's how narcissists work.

Adam Grigoriu

Current

Former

Ian Plätschisch

Speaking of pro-Republican tinge, I take issue with two sentences (probably the only two sentences of the whole thing I am in a position to have an opinion on at all, but no matter):

QuoteSome might even argue that "if the Kingdom won the Talossan Cold War, the Republic won the subsequent peace". This interpretation is given weight by several other democratic reforms which Reviensadeirs have successfully pushed for in the Kingdom, such as secret-ballot voting in elections.

Personal loyalties aside, I think this clearly overlooks the role of the MRPT, the entire point of which was to push for those same reforms, and which led five governments in the process.

I haven't made any changes yet because I don't want accusations that I inserted any pro-Moderate Monarchy bias, but this should be addressed.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Good point. That line was me flexing a bit, and is undignified, and is now gone.