Placeholder Act to Remind Me to Write an Act

Started by Ian Plätschisch, August 05, 2020, 08:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Plätschisch

WHEREAS

THEREFORE The process for selecting a new Monarch shall be improved in an as of yet undetermined fashion.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

I'm partial to an electoral college of the Ziu and the provincial governments, followed by 2/3 ratification in referendum (if the Monarch is going to continue to have significant political powers; otherwise, the referendum might be skipped)

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on August 05, 2020, 09:39:03 PM
I'm partial to an electoral college of the Ziu and the provincial governments, followed by 2/3 ratification in referendum (if the Monarch is going to continue to have significant political powers; otherwise, the referendum might be skipped)

I like the electoral college of the Ziu and provincial governments as well. I think this is similar to the way the German president is elected by the Bundestag and an equal number of members of the state parliaments.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Glüc da Dhi S.H.

I feel like the King represents the story of Talossa that goes beyond the political hype of the day. In a sense the monarch acts (or should act) as a cultural counterweight to the dominance of politics in Talossa.

Everything else is decided by the Ziu or government. Ideally the King is the only thing that isn't, so I'd much prefer some set up that doesn't involve either of those.
Director of Money Laundering and Sportswashing, Banqeu da Cézembre

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

I think that an electoral college which is composed of citizens of 6 plus years, at the very least.  Chosen perhaps via nomination from the same group.
Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Actually, I like this better than my idea. The Republic's objection to the current King taking the throne was that he'd been a Talossan since pretty much the day before yesterday, historically speaking. Of course, King Robert II had been a citizen for two whole months before he got the job - but he didn't last long.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

C. M. Siervicül

A modest suggestion:

Select the 59 Talossans who have been citizens for longest. Reduce that number to 26 (1+9+7+9) by lot. Allow each of the 26 to nominate three other individuals. Any Talossan who receives at least two nominations goes into a pool, but if the number of those is less than 30 then the 26 selected by lot get to make another nomination until the number is at least 30. The 30 are reduced by lot to 16 (7+9) who become the members of the college, then any members of the council of regency (UC) who are not already members by nomination get added as ex officio members. The senior judge of the UC presides over the college with the title of moderator.

Then you make the college assemble in person and lock them in Merrill Hall in Abbavilla until a new king is selected. After each unsuccessful ballot they send up red smoke from the chimney (does Merrill Hall have a chimney?). A successful ballot is marked by green smoke, and the appearance of the moderator of the college on the balcony of Merrill Hall (does Merrill Hall have a balcony?) to announce habemus regem!

Seriously, though, I do like the suggestion Eiric made.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

I like the smoke idea, but make it simpler: AD and I just go into a room and smoke bowl after bowl of weed (listening to Pink Floyd and Yes on repeat) until we agree on a King. Problem is that if the weed is good enough it'll be Mickey Mouse.

Nah, seriously, ESB has a good idea.

Eðo Grischun

I like the balcony idea and think that when a new King is elected they are to be taken out onto the balcony and held up high by a new National Rafiki, just like in the opening scene of The Lion King, held exactly that same way from under the armpits and with a red and green bicoloreu rubbed onto the forehead.

Yeah, Eric's idea is good.
Eovart Grischun S.H.

Former Distain
Former Minister
Former Senator for Vuode

Éovart Andrinescù

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on August 07, 2020, 08:29:38 PM
I like the smoke idea, but make it simpler: AD and I just go into a room and smoke bowl after bowl of weed (listening to Pink Floyd and Yes on repeat) until we agree on a King. Problem is that if the weed is good enough it'll be Mickey Mouse.

O, to be a fly on that wall.

C. M. Siervicül

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on August 07, 2020, 08:29:38 PMProblem is that if the weed is good enough it'll be Mickey Mouse.
Now that's what I call a Magic Kingdom.

Sir Lüc

Quote from: C. M. Siervicül on August 07, 2020, 07:55:12 PM
Then you make the college assemble in person and lock them in Merrill Hall in Abbavilla until a new king is selected. After each unsuccessful ballot they send up red smoke from the chimney (does Merrill Hall have a chimney?). A successful ballot is marked by green smoke, and the appearance of the moderator of the college on the balcony of Merrill Hall (does Merrill Hall have a balcony?) to announce habemus regem!

Seriously, though, I do like the suggestion Eiric made.

Greene Hall does have a chimney, thereby making it the superior choice. I'm sure the Senate would be willing to accomodate the college for a couple of weeks or so.

Alas, neither has a balcony  :(
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB
Directeur Sportif, Gordon Hiatus Support Team

In my free time:
Túischac'h dal Cosă / Speaker of the Cosa
Wittmeister & Permanent Secretary of Backend Admin / Secretar Parmanint per l'Aðmistraziun del Backend
Deputy Scribe of Abbavilla / Distain Grefieir d'Abbavillă