News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

D&D

Started by Baron Alexandreu Davinescu, September 19, 2020, 11:24:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Plätschisch

OK, I have a character made (although I have no idea what equipment to pick). What do I do now?

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

We will do a quick session zero at some point to run through how to finish your character and how to play.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Quote from: Ian Plätschisch on September 20, 2020, 04:40:30 PM
OK, I have a character made (although I have no idea what equipment to pick). What do I do now?
Are you Toruun?  It still says you haven't finished making your character at all.  Just pick whatever equipment makes the most sense to you as you finish up -- we'll sort you out in the finer details once the broad strokes of what you'd like to play are filled-in.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Istefan Perþonest

Quote from: Sir Alexandreu Davinescu on September 20, 2020, 06:23:16 PM
Are you Toruun?  It still says you haven't finished making your character at all.  Just pick whatever equipment makes the most sense to you as you finish up -- we'll sort you out in the finer details once the broad strokes of what you'd like to play are filled-in.
No, I'm "Toruun". And I'm holding off actually creating my character until I know what the rest of the party is like.

(I figure people with less D&D experience should get their choices, and the guy with thirty years' playing experience and seven paid TTRPG writing credits can slot in a character wherever's appropriate.)
Istefan Éovart Perþonest
Puisne Judge of the Uppermost Cort
Cunstavál of Fiôvâ
Burgermeister of Inland Revenue

Quote from: Istefan Perþonest on September 21, 2020, 03:34:31 AM
Quote from: Sir Alexandreu Davinescu on September 20, 2020, 06:23:16 PM
No, I'm "Toruun". And I'm holding off actually creating my character until I know what the rest of the party is like.

(I figure people with less D&D experience should get their choices, and the guy with thirty years' playing experience and seven paid TTRPG writing credits can slot in a character wherever's appropriate.)
I didn't know that about you!  You can wait to make your character if you want, sure.

Istefan Perþonest

Quote from: Sir Alexandreu Davinescu on September 21, 2020, 05:37:15 AM
Quote from: Istefan Perþonest on September 21, 2020, 03:34:31 AM

I didn't know that about you!  You can wait to make your character if you want, sure.
Very minor credits, mind.  Contributions to Scarred Lands open calls back for D&D 3rd-era D20 material that got into four books, one Munchkin d20 article for D20 Weekly during the brief period it was a going webzine, two GURPS articles for Pyramid when it was a webzine. All paid at three cents a word; I framed the first check because I thought it was worth more as a wall decoration than the $8.73 I could get at a bank.
Istefan Éovart Perþonest
Puisne Judge of the Uppermost Cort
Cunstavál of Fiôvâ
Burgermeister of Inland Revenue

@Ian Plätschisch , @Adam Grigoriu , you folks still interested?  If so, make your character in that campaign to which I linked.

I'm thinking the overall thrust will be a group of mercenaries hired by a local member of the nobility to perform an as-yet unknown task.  So if that helps with thinking through what you want your character to be, ponder on it.

Ian Plätschisch

I'll get on it ASAP, I've had a busy few days.

NRB

Do you need people still? Some of my fellow union members had a group going but after we ran through the adventure it looks like we're pretty much done.

I probably have the second most amount of experience behind Istefan Perþonest. I started back in 2nd edition days, played through 3& 3.5, then quit entirely for a long time until my union started about starting a game and that was probably the first time I picked it up in about ten years. I really enjoyed getting back to it again though, and would like to sign up if you have the slots.

Quote from: NRB on September 22, 2020, 02:19:52 PM
Do you need people still? Some of my fellow union members had a group going but after we ran through the adventure it looks like we're pretty much done.

I probably have the second most amount of experience behind Istefan Perþonest. I started back in 2nd edition days, played through 3& 3.5, then quit entirely for a long time until my union started about starting a game and that was probably the first time I picked it up in about ten years. I really enjoyed getting back to it again though, and would like to sign up if you have the slots.

I don't really need people, in a sense that I'm short of people to form a party or anything, since the idea was just to give anyone who wanted to play a chance. A good DM is seldom short of players, after all. If you're interested, you're certainly welcome :-)

NRB

okie dokie i made a dude

Ian Plätschisch

I've joined as Bartran Fatrabbit

Okay, so we have Ian, Istefan, Nick, and Adam.  Anyone else?  Last call to get in on this.  Tonight I'm going to put together the adventure, so you have until then.

All y'all, we'll have a session zero sometime this week.  For those new to the game, that's a quick meeting where we talk about what we each want to get out of the game and finish up characters and backstory.

Okay, I think everything's just about set.  I picked an adventure that I wrote a few years ago for a group of newbies, then did a bit of tweaking to get everything more suitable for a virtual tabletop.  Let me know if you have any questions, objections, or suggestions.  I don't think there are any necessary trigger warnings for the adventure. What week night this week will work well for everybody?

The Ruby of the Cold Sun:
An Adventure for New Players

For thirty generations, the city of Yminti has been ruled by the patriarchs of the Linhausen family.  Official histories claim that this power is theirs by right, and that the Linhausens took control during time of war in order to save the city.  But the antiquity of the conflict surpasses even the memories of the elves, and Linhausen gold has been heavy in the pockets of local historians.  The truth may be lost.  Suffice to say that -- whatever the cause -- the rightful rule of the city is symbolized by the sacred Ruby of the Cold Sun set within the Linhausen sigil ring, and it has been passed from eldest son to eldest son for nearly three thousand years.  Its likeness is set above every city gate and adorns every official document, and the eldest Linhausen boy has always held it.

Until now.  Old Lord Kol Linhausen lies on his deathbed... and it is his daughter, Ina, who claims his ring, his rule, and the Ruby of the Cold Sun.

Like everyone else in Yminti, you know about the Linhausen children.  Ina is the competent and cool one, always standing at her father's shoulder during deliberations and trials.  Her younger brother, Garten, is a wastrel and a jackass.  He drinks, he gambles, he spends.  Sometimes it is even rumored he dabbles in darker matters.  And yet he always assumed that power over Ymitri would be his one day.  He was the son, after all!  And while his sister might have been everything he was not -- serious, wise, and strong -- that just didn't matter.  It was a tradition as obdurate as stone.

Perhaps Garten should have kept in mind that even stone doesn't last forever.  The wind scrapes it and the water scours it, until one day...   Well, one day maybe it turns out that all it needed was a single firm tap from a sharp chisel.

In this adventure, we'll see how sharp you all can be.

Your little group of mercenaries has been brought to Linhausen Hall this evening by a grim-mouthed servant of the family.  He refuses to explain anything.  The manor is rich and stately, warm with the thousand comforts of an ancient homestead: thick carpets and deep-seated chairs.  But the servant brings you through a back door, down long halls and wide rooms, and down the stairs into the clamminess of a cellar, and before too long you start to wonder if tonight's rendezvous is entirely -- above board.  For one odd thing: you see none of the usual guards you would expect to see in such a stately home.

Finally, he leaves you in a cold and bare basement room.  The walls are wet with moisture and green with mildew, and it is bare of any decoration beyond a table, an old set of chairs, and two dozen greenish hams hanging from the rafters.

"Good evening," says a woman's voice, and you all turn to see a stout figure step forward into the flickering torchlight.  "Thank you for coming.  I am Ina Linhausen.  And I have a task for you."

Ina Linhausen is not stately and she is not beautiful.  The Linhausens were never known for their physical blandishments.  Short and pale, her tangle of frizzy hair is barely constrained by a bonnet, and her cloth-of-gold dress stretches over her wide tummy.  But her blue eyes are as clear and cold as a winter rain, and when she speaks there is a strength of command in her tone.  This is a leader.

"My brother has taken something from me," she says, pulling something from a pocket on her bodice and holding it up to the light, "and I need you to get it back."

She holds a heavy golden sigil ring.  But the setting on the ring is empty.  The Ruby of the Cold Sun is missing.