The Non-Hereditary Monarchy Amendment

Started by Ian Plätschisch, December 16, 2019, 11:30:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Plätschisch

WHEREAS Interest in Talossa is not hereditary, and

WHEREAS The best person to become the next Monarch is usually not going to be the child of the previous one

THEREFORE Article II of the Organic Law is repealed and replaced with the following:

Section 1
QuoteThe Kingdom of Talossa is a constitutional Monarchy with a King (or, if female, Queen) as its head of State.

Section 2
QuoteThe King is the symbolic head of the nation. The nation democratically grants the King certain Royal Powers and duties as described in this Organic Law and in statute law. The Ziu may establish procedures for when the King fails to perform a duty.

Section 3
QuoteThe King of Talossa is King John I, until his demise, abdication, or removal from the throne. Should the King at any time renounce or lose his citizenship, that renunciation or loss shall be deemed to imply his abdication of the Throne. Upon the demise, abdication, or removal from the Throne of the King, the Uppermost Cort shall be a Council of Regency.

Section 4
QuoteIn dire circumstances, when the King is judged by competent medical authority to be incapable of executing his duties, or if he is convicted by the Talossan Uppermost Cort of violation of this Organic Law, treason, bribery, nonfeasance endangering the safety, order or good government of the Kingdom, or other high crimes, the nation may remove the King from the Throne. The Cosa shall pronounce by a two-thirds vote, with the approval of the Senäts, that the King is to be removed, and this pronouncement shall immediately be transmitted to the people for their verdict in a referendum. If a two-thirds majority of the people concur, the King is removed.

Section 5
QuoteThe King may, at whim, appoint, replace, or remove a Regent (or a Council of Regency, which is considered equivalent to a Regent), who shall administer the government in the name of the King, and exercise all powers Organically or legally vested in the King, except the power to appoint or replace a Regent. No person not a citizen of Talossa shall be competent to serve as Regent or member of a Council of Regency. The Ziu may by law remove or replace any appointed Regent, and if the Ziu removes a Regent appointed by the King, the King may not reappoint the same person Regent without the prior consent of the Ziu.

Section 6
QuoteThe King may grant titles of nobility and confer awards and decorations.

Ureu q'estadra så:
HM Government, represented by Ian Plätschisch (Distain)

Ian Plätschisch

The above is a little hard to digest, so here would be the amended text of Article II:

Section 1
QuoteThe Kingdom of Talossa is a constitutional Monarchy with a King (or, if female, Queen) as its head of State.

Section 2
QuoteThe King is the symbolic head of the nation. The nation democratically grants the King certain Royal Powers and duties as described in this Organic Law and in statute law. The Ziu may establish procedures for when the King fails to perform a duty.

Section 3
QuoteThe King of Talossa is King John I, until his demise, abdication, or removal from the throne. Should the King at any time renounce or lose his citizenship, that renunciation or loss shall be deemed to imply his abdication of the Throne. Upon the demise, abdication, or removal from the Throne of the King, the Uppermost Cort shall be a Council of Regency.

Section 4
QuoteIn dire circumstances, when the King is judged by competent medical authority to be incapable of executing his duties, or if he is convicted by the Talossan Uppermost Cort of violation of this Organic Law, treason, bribery, nonfeasance endangering the safety, order or good government of the Kingdom, or other high crimes, the nation may remove the King from the Throne. The Cosa shall pronounce by a two-thirds vote, with the approval of the Senäts, that the King is to be removed, and this pronouncement shall immediately be transmitted to the people for their verdict in a referendum. If a two-thirds majority of the people concur, the King is removed.

Section 5
QuoteThe King may, at whim, appoint, replace, or remove a Regent (or a Council of Regency, which is considered equivalent to a Regent), who shall administer the government in the name of the King, and exercise all powers Organically or legally vested in the King, except the power to appoint or replace a Regent. No person not a citizen of Talossa shall be competent to serve as Regent or member of a Council of Regency. The Ziu may by law remove or replace any appointed Regent, and if the Ziu removes a Regent appointed by the King, the King may not reappoint the same person Regent without the prior consent of the Ziu.

Section 6
QuoteThe King may grant titles of nobility and confer awards and decorations.

Ian Plätschisch

Also note that this amendment would amend the new version of the Organic Law

Magniloqueu Épiqeu Ac’hlerglünä da Lhiun

I wonder whether electing a Monarch should really be a "Ziu → Ratification"-style process.

Might we want to involve the knighthood? Maybe they come together to choose a new King that has to be ratified by the populace? Or something?
Mîmbreu Xhugnhör da l'Avocatür Rexhital

I support the "United Provinces of Maritiimi-Maxhestic, Vuode, and Dandenburg."

Ian Plätschisch

Quote from: Magniloqueu Épiqeu Ac'hlerglünä da Lhiun on December 16, 2019, 04:48:31 PM
I wonder whether electing a Monarch should really be a "Ziu → Ratification"-style process.

Might we want to involve the knighthood? Maybe they come together to choose a new King that has to be ratified by the populace? Or something?
Interesting to consider (Right now, this amendment keeps everything else status quo)

Ian Plätschisch

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Well, I'm totally opposed to giving "the Knighthood" any extra votes. That just gives the King the ability to choose his own electorate.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Sir Lüc

It would be interesting if we had our own Conclave-style process, separate from the Ziu, which could elect a King with a 2/3 vote or something similar (maybe 3/5 and then 1/2 after a number of ballots).

Not sure how we would elect such a body, though, so here's some ideas:

1. By seniority groups: we divide up the population into N equal groups based on date of citizenship, and each group elects X representatives to the Conclave (example N=4 and X=5, we have 20 representatives and roughly 38 electors per group);

2. 8 MCs (proportional-ish between parties) + 8 Senators + 5 Justices + SoS + 2 other senior positions = 24 electors

I'm indifferent enough on the Conclave "electing" or "nominating for approval" the future King. Either works for me I think.
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB
Directeur Sportif, Gordon Hiatus Support Team

In my free time:
Túischac'h dal Cosă / Speaker of the Cosa
Wittmeister & Permanent Secretary of Backend Admin / Secretar Parmanint per l'Aðmistraziun del Backend
Deputy Scribe of Abbavilla / Distain Grefieir d'Abbavillă

Miestră Schivă, UrN

The simplistic answer would be: the Ziu on a one-individual-one-vote basis.

A more complex answer would be the Ziu + provincial delegates, on a one-individual-one-vote basis.

Final decision would have to be approved by the nation by 2/3 in referendum.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

Glüc da Dhi S.H.

I'm really not convinced this is a good idea at all.

But if we absolutely have to, I think we should avoid any of the following:

- Anything that results in citizens joining thinking that they might one day become King.
- Anyone campaigning to become King.
- Anyone taking up civil service duties because it might make them King someday.
- Any parties campaigning to make their members King.
- Electing anyone we are not sure will be around for a long time (I can honestly think of very few Talossans who have been as consistently present for such a long time as King John). The best way to ensure this also means not...
- Electing anyone who hasn't already been around for a long time.
- A method that is so straightforward (or I guess simplistic) that it essentially turns the King into just another elected office.
- A method that results in someone being elected based on the hype of the day rather than long term appreciation (remember this is supposed to be an appointment for life.)
Director of Money Laundering and Sportswashing, Banqeu da Cézembre

Açafat del Val

I very much support this amendment, though Glüc has a point that the throne, while we have it, should not be politicized.

Perhaps we could amend this amendment so that the Ziu cannot choose a successor who has not been a citizen for X years? That alone should prevent phonies. 5 years? 7 years?

Let us not live in a fantasy: the ascension of John to the throne was political, insofar as any decision to elevate someone to a lifetime role is inherently political. It's not practicable to try to prevent "someone being elected based on the hype of the day rather than a long-term appreciation"; that's just the nature of the beast.

The risk of a bad ascension to the throne is worth removing the hereditary status of the King.
Cheers,

AdV
ex-Senator for Florencia
Jolly Good Fellow of the Royal Talossan College of Arms

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Glüc on February 15, 2020, 11:01:50 AM
I think we should avoid any of the following:

- Anything that results in citizens joining thinking that they might one day become King.
- Anyone taking up civil service duties because it might make them King someday.

Agreed.

Quote- Electing anyone we are not sure will be around for a long time (I can honestly think of very few Talossans who have been as consistently present for such a long time as King John). The best way to ensure this also means not...

John had been a Talossan for 2-3 years before he became King. This was one of the main reasons why the Republic were aghast to find out that he was being proposed for the Slightly Battered Throne, despite his obvious qualities, considering he was a newcomer compared to the people who founded the Republic.

- A method that results in someone being elected based on the hype of the day rather than long term appreciation (remember this is supposed to be an appointment for life.)

See above. Many of the things you're complaining about are how the incumbent got there.

Ian Plätschisch

Quote from: Glüc on February 15, 2020, 11:01:50 AM
I'm really not convinced this is a good idea at all.

But if we absolutely have to, I think we should avoid any of the following:

- Electing anyone we are not sure will be around for a long time (I can honestly think of very few Talossans who have been as consistently present for such a long time as King John). The best way to ensure this also means not...
- A method that is so straightforward (or I guess simplistic) that it essentially turns the King into just another elected office.

I agree that if any of this happened it would not be great, but it would still be better than the current situation, which is a Prince of Prospect who has not demonstrated one iota of interest in Talossa for years.

Ian Plätschisch

Are all of the proposals for more complex election processes more along the lines of "woah dude, what if we..." or should I actually incorporate them into the amendment.

I kept the election process the same in order to avoid making a huge omnibus change.

Glüc da Dhi S.H.

Quote from: Ian Plätschisch on February 21, 2020, 04:02:21 PM
Are all of the proposals for more complex election processes more along the lines of "woah dude, what if we..." or should I actually incorporate them into the amendment.

I kept the election process the same in order to avoid making a huge omnibus change.
This is gonna be a huge change regardless.

I would seriously consider actually incorporating some of the ideas that have been raised here and some others that have not yet been raised as well.

Really disappointing that we're going for possibly the worst option when a lot of the alternatives haven't really been thought out.
Director of Money Laundering and Sportswashing, Banqeu da Cézembre