Previous topic - Next topic

xpb

As per https://wittenberg.talossa.com/index.php?topic=740.msg5860#msg5860

Calling to order members of l'Etats
@Txosuè Éiric Rôibeardescù
@Ián Tamorán
@X. Pol Briga
@Ián S.G. Txaglh

Given the S:reu Tamorán is already serving as Lord Warden, and was recently elected, and should he wish to continue service, and should there be no other other candidates for that office; perhaps the other members l'Etats can endorse him to the populace, and thus our election will be conducted in public and by acclamation?   I freely give my endorsement in that regard, and look to see if S:reus Rôibeardescù and Txaglh will do so also in this thread.   We will await the timeframe of the 56th session of the Ziu to determine if there are any other candidates.

In this case, the implementation of any other system of voting for only one candidate would be moot.  The only things that may come ballot would be candidates for l'Etats, and referenda directed to the citizenry, which need not involve the Talossan Chancery if perhaps   @Amada Merþedes could add conducting the election to her duties as Moderator of this forum.

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

Quote from: xpb on March 31, 2021, 05:04:26 PM

@Ián Tamorán
@X. Pol Briga
@Ián S.G. Txaglh

Given the S:reu Tamorán is already serving as Lord Warden, and was recently elected, and should he wish to continue service, and should there be no other other candidates for that office; perhaps the other members l'Etats can endorse him to the populace, and thus our election will be conducted in public and by acclamation?   I freely give my endorsement in that regard, and look to see if S:reus Rôibeardescù and Txaglh will do so also in this thread.   We will await the timeframe of the 56th session of the Ziu to determine if there are any other candidates.

In this case, the implementation of any other system of voting for only one candidate would be moot.  The only things that may come ballot would be candidates for l'Etats, and referenda directed to the citizenry, which need not involve the Talossan Chancery if perhaps   @Amada Merþedes could add conducting the election to her duties as Moderator of this forum.

I apologize for my intrusion into the business of your assembly but I do have one question about the concept of election by acclamation. Does your local election procedure not allow for write-in ballots? It would seem to me that a candidate for the Senate could decide to run even after the election began. Also, not every citizen of Cezembre is a member of your assembly and it would most definitely be inorganic to deny that citizen a chance to vote if an election were either not conducted or you deem an election concluded without proceeding to an actual vote.
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

xpb

Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on March 31, 2021, 07:43:44 PM
Quote from: xpb on March 31, 2021, 05:04:26 PM

@Ián Tamorán
@X. Pol Briga
@Ián S.G. Txaglh

I apologize for my intrusion into the business of your assembly but I do have one question about the concept of election by acclamation. Does your local election procedure not allow for write-in ballots? It would seem to me that a candidate for the Senate could decide to run even after the election began. Also, not every citizen of Cezembre is a member of your assembly and it would most definitely be inorganic to deny that citizen a chance to vote if an election were either not conducted or you deem an election concluded without proceeding to an actual vote.

S:reu Nordselvă

Thanks for the comments, and appreciate your inquiry - you are correct that the assembly does not make a determination of who can or should run for office, but can as individuals speak in endorsement of a candidate, such as the one recently elected as it would seem to have been the intent to serve a full term.  After one candidate (myself) who was appointed to serve who was then replaced by an elected candidate (S:reu Tamorán) by determination by the Chancery that an election should be held it is logical that would be for a full term, otherwise I would have then served out the remainder of the existing term with a new election held for session 56.  It is indeed better perhaps that Cezembreans not rely on external organizations to conduct elections as the intent may not be clear.

As to your other question
in the CEM
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QYkVIvygRUC-TC4NVdKTogfwftJH-XzF/view

A9: The 51st Cosa Lord Warden Election Act
Approved: 21 August, 2017

"15. If there is one sole candidate for the position of Lord
Warden at the start of the election, no election will be held
and the sole candidate will be considered elected to the
position."

This would seem to not allow write-in names, unless there are already multiple candidates at the start of an election.  A person or persons interested in the position would need to declare their intent should there only be one candidate declared.

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

Thank you. I will point out that intent of appointment doesn't override the OrgLaw. I'm not simply being capricious and only want to verify that the law of the Kingdom is followed.
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

xpb

Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on April 01, 2021, 12:37:29 AM
Thank you. I will point out that intent of appointment doesn't override the OrgLaw. I'm not simply being capricious and only want to verify that the law of the Kingdom is followed.

So noted.  I see the following parts of Article V: Elections that would apply in this case where the election is conducted in the province.  Since I am not standing for the office of Lord Warden, then via Article 8 of our CEM as Sénéchal I will conduct an election, IF there were more than one declared candidate, or appeal to the Crown to appoint a Lord Warden if for some reason Ián Tamorán would not wish to continue in the position and there were no other declared candidates.

Article V: Elections Section 6 Elections for the filling of places in the Senäts shall be conducted simultaneously with general elections to the Cosa. Each time the Cosa shall be dissolved, there shall be an election for one-third of the total Senate seats (rounded to the nearest whole number). The exact fixed order of rotation of provinces for elections shall be set by law and shall require two-thirds vote in the Cosa with approval by the King and the Senäts to be modified. (53RZ18)

This provision would be satisifed instantly should Ián Tamorán wish to continue in office and there were no other candidates as per CEM A9 previously noted.  If there are two or more candidates, there will be a selection between them made by the citizens.

Article V: Elections Section 7 Unless a province explicitly requests that Chancery conduct the election to the Senate seat for that province, the province shall be responsible for doing so, and shall certify to the Chancery that the result represents the will of the people. (53RZ18)

Cézembre does not request the Chancery to conduct the election, and shall certify the result.

Tierçéu Rôibeardescù

Im satisfied that should Ián Tamorán continue in his post or nominations be nessciery, that what has been outlined above should be sufficient.
Túischac'h of the 55th Cosa
MC, 55th Cosa, League of Center Conservatives
Secretary-General of the League of centre conservatives
Member of the L'Etats de Cézembre