News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

TO THE REGENT: Let's bring peace to Talossa

Started by Miestră Schivă, UrN, April 11, 2021, 03:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miestră Schivă, UrN

In a historic decision, the Ziu has voted by the requisite majorities in both Houses to support The Talossa Shall Choose Its King Amendment (55RZ21), also known as the Historic Compromise. This Compromise enshrines the Talossan monarchy, with the provision that the King shall be required to renew his right to the Throne before a National Convocation every 7 years.

In the opinion of the Government, and the outgoing Leader of the Opposition, this compromise is the only way forward from the results of the Ranked Choice Referendum, which show an near-deadlock between pro-Republic and pro-Status Quo forces in this country, which have been trapped in a sterile permanent argument (occasionally erupting into nasty flamewars) since Reunision.

We hope the Regent will allow this Organic Law change to go to the people for their approval in referendum. However, it would be within the Regent's rights to impose his veto, which would require it to seek a new mandate from the 56th Cosă and Senäts. The Regent may gamble that the upcoming election will produce 67 Coså seats (or 4 Senators) opposed to the Compromise, leaving us with the status quo.

This gamble would I think, be a losing one. In such anevent, the Free Democrats and the New Peculiar Way would squarely centre support for the Compromise in their election propaganda; and it seems that the incoming leadership of the LCC, to their credit, also agree that this is the best way forward.

It is possible, of course, that a "NO SURRENDER" ultra-Monarchist party might arise to oppose the compromise, with support of the Regent and certain other prominent and voluble Talossan figures. (As might an ultra-Republican anti-compromise party, though I think the latter would appeal to a tiny minority.)

But if I were a betting woman, I would guess that in that situation - and given the results of the recent Ranked Choice referendum - the 56th Cosă would return a big reformist/Republican majority, with conservative and monarchist forces dispersed, demoralised, and electorally decimated. In such a situation, Republican/reformist forces might be in the position of Darth Vader in Cloud City, to "alter the deal". Conservatives might consider that not worth the risk.

The question the Regent has to answer, then is: what is better for Talossa? To "die on the hill" of defending a life-term for the monarch? Or to bring about a historic social peace, over which the broad majority of Talossans can bond and begin to build trust and patriotic camaraderie? Can Sir Alexandreu Davinescù step up and fulfil the historic task that Senator G. Valcádac'h has been harping on for years - can he complete Reunision?

He can do so by simply not vetoing 55RZ21, allowing it to go to a referendum. The constitutional issue - or at least *that* constitutional issue - can thus be put to bed for a Talossan generation. I urge him to be a hero and do so; but I also note that the Free Democrats are prepared for the alternative.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

GV

"Veto this bill, AD.  The world is better off with life-time monarchy". - Sincerely, Henry VIII; Carakowa; and Commodus.

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Thank you for your message.  At this time, I intend to veto the bill on behalf of His Majesty.  This seems to be my clear duty as regent, since the proposed bill would immediately remove the sovereign from the throne.  I have communicated the situation to His Majesty, however, and he may direct as he pleases.

Please be aware that my name doesn't have any accent marks in it, for future reference.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Great. We have to go through all this until the First Clark of the next Cosa, then. You could advise the fugitive King to recommend that you hasten the inevitable, but I guess you don't want to.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

Miestră Schivă, UrN

A couple of further points:

1) If this Compromise finally passes (upon referendum, not upon a Ziu vote or the Regent's assent), the power of the Monarchy will move to the Uppermost Cort pending a National Convocation. Given that, I would be happy to advise the UC to reappoint the current Regent, who has done at least a competent job over the last 6 months.

2) If this Compromise is vetoed this time, and then passed on the First Clark of the 56th Cosa, then we will move to a ratifying referendum immediately. Mid-term referendums have a lower turnout of less-active citizens and it is far less likely that it will be challenged by a strong monarchist vote. Just noting.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Hell, I wouldn't have a principled objection to John Woolley being Regent pending the Convocation (he'd have to be active for that, of course)

GV

Quote from: Sir Alexandreu Davinescu on April 14, 2021, 10:19:33 PM
Thank you for your message.  At this time, I intend to veto the bill on behalf of His Majesty.  This seems to be my clear duty as regent, since the proposed bill would immediately remove the sovereign from the throne.  I have communicated the situation to His Majesty, however, and he may direct as he pleases.

Please be aware that my name doesn't have any accent marks in it, for future reference.

If John had been active over the past year, it never could have come to this.  Why can't we have a sovereign who actually wants to be active in their own country?

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: GV on April 15, 2021, 07:37:04 PMWhy can't we have a sovereign who actually wants to be active in their own country?

A certain kind of person only loves their country when it's doing what they want it to do and stroking their ego in precisely the correct way.

xpb

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on April 15, 2021, 08:34:42 PM
Quote from: GV on April 15, 2021, 07:37:04 PMWhy can't we have a sovereign who actually wants to be active in their own country?

A certain kind of person only loves their country when it's doing what they want it to do and stroking their ego in precisely the correct way.

Indeed.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Just going to repost this, with the necessary amendments.

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on April 11, 2021, 03:47:12 PM
In a historic decision, the Ziu has voted by the requisite majorities in both Houses to support The Talossa Shall Choose Its King Amendment (55RZ21), also known as the Historic Compromise. This Compromise enshrines the Talossan monarchy, with the provision that the King shall be required to renew his right to the Throne before a National Convocation every 7 years.

In the opinion of the Government, and the outgoing Leader of the Opposition, this compromise is the only way forward from the results of the Ranked Choice Referendum, which show an near-deadlock between pro-Republic and pro-Status Quo forces in this country, which have been trapped in a sterile permanent argument (occasionally erupting into nasty flamewars) since Reunision.

We hope the RegentKing will allow this Organic Law change to go to the people for their approval in referendum. However, it would be within the RegentKing's rights to impose his veto, which would require it to seek a new mandate from the 56th Cosă and Senäts. The RegentKing may gamble that the upcoming election will produce 67 Coså seats (or 4 Senators) opposed to the Compromise, leaving us with the status quo.

This gamble would I think, be a losing one. In such anevent, the Free Democrats and the New Peculiar Way would squarely centre support for the Compromise in their election propaganda; and it seems that the incoming leadership of the LCC, to their credit, also agree that this is the best way forward.

It is possible, of course, that a "NO SURRENDER" ultra-Monarchist party might arise to oppose the compromise, with support of the RegentKing and certain other prominent and voluble Talossan figures. (As might an ultra-Republican anti-compromise party, though I think the latter would appeal to a tiny minority.)

But if I were a betting woman, I would guess that in that situation - and given the results of the recent Ranked Choice referendum - the 56th Cosă would return a big reformist/Republican majority, with conservative and monarchist forces dispersed, demoralised, and electorally decimated. In such a situation, Republican/reformist forces might be in the position of Darth Vader in Cloud City, to "alter the deal". Conservatives might consider that not worth the risk.

The question the RegentKing has to answer, then is: what is better for Talossa? To "die on the hill" of defending a life-term for the monarch? Or to bring about a historic social peace, over which the broad majority of Talossans can bond and begin to build trust and patriotic camaraderie? Can Sir Alexandreu DavinescùHis Majesty Ián I Lupúl step up and fulfil the historic task that Senator Sir G. Valcádac'h has been harping on for years - can he complete Reunision?

He can do so by simply not vetoing 55RZ21, allowing it to go to a referendum. The constitutional issue - or at least *that* constitutional issue - can thus be put to bed for a Talossan generation. I urge him to be a hero and do so; but I also note that the Free Democrats are prepared for the alternative.