News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Peerage questions

Started by Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP, May 07, 2021, 05:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

Ever since Lord Danivescu's was appointed Baron of Vilatx Freiric, I figured future Talossan language materials should teach the titles of peerage, which is why I started researching them a bit. My research left me more confused than before, so I'll ask some questions here hoping that someone else can explain all of this (and then hopefully update the TalossaWiki article afterwards).

1) It is said that Dukes get provinces, Counts get cantons (except in Florenciă where they get parishes), and Barons get townships. How then could Lord Davinescu become the Baron of a canton?
2) Is there even a list or map of parishes and townships for every province? As far as I can tell, the only province with fully delineated parishes and townships is Vuode, while Benito has only defined its parishes (called "sexteirs"), and Florenciă has one named but otherwise underdefined parish called Thord (Lord Hooligan's county).

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Please understand that I am not trying to undermine Lord Davinescu's peerage in any way. Who knows, maybe this could be rectified by making him a Count instead?
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial on May 07, 2021, 05:41:48 PM
Ever since Lord Danivescu's was appointed Baron of Vilatx Freiric, I figured future Talossan language materials should teach the titles of peerage, which is why I started researching them a bit. My research left me more confused than before, so I'll ask some questions here hoping that someone else can explain all of this (and then hopefully update the TalossaWiki article afterwards).

1) It is said that Dukes get provinces, Counts get cantons (except in Florenciă where they get parishes), and Barons get townships. How then could Lord Davinescu become the Baron of a canton?
2) Is there even a list or map of parishes and townships for every province? As far as I can tell, the only province with fully delineated parishes and townships is Vuode, while Benito has only defined its parishes (called "sexteirs"), and Florenciă has one named but otherwise underdefined parish called Thord (Lord Hooligan's county).

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Please understand that I am not trying to undermine Lord Davinescu's peerage in any way. Who knows, maybe this could be rectified by making him a Count instead?
No worries about offense -- honest questions, asked reasonably and in good faith, aren't even slightly offensive!

Vilatx Freiric is a canton that is also a single block, as far as I am aware - State St and Waverly Place.  It's the block with the David Barnett Gallery and a food pantry, bordering the parkland, so it seemed perfect to me.   I didn't have much time to research, and a breakdown of the territory in this way is hard to find.  I wasn't quite sure how else to do it, since it seemed like there's no name for any level of territory smaller than canton.  But if there's any error, I'm sure it is mine, and I am happy to remedy it.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Investigating, I may have gotten confused about how the territory was transferred during Reunision.  Maybe the best thing to do is to say that I am the baron of the township of Vilatx Freiric, which is located on that city block within the canton of Vilatx Freiric?  Which would then make me the Baron del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric, I think.  And I kind of love that.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

I prepared a map of the Vilatx Freiric canton and attached it to this message.

I counted 14 townships (16 if you count the ones that are all green as real townships which I don't). Parishes are kinda wishy-washy so there's no objective way of counting them, but intuitively I would split Vilatx Freiric into two parishes, a northern and a southern one. This would need to be defined by province law though.
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

Hm, okay, well, mystery sorted.  My mistake!  Consider it then that I am Baron del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric.  If I can figure a way to add another layer onto that -- maybe renaming a specific building? -- I will do that, too.  It's going to be like Inception.

We should really try to get a project going to get people to name all the townships.  I bet people would love to do that, and we can make an interactive Google map (which is a lot easier in 2021 than it was in 2008, the last time I tried my hand at it).

Good catch and awesome job!

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on May 07, 2021, 06:08:47 PM
Hm, okay, well, mystery sorted.  My mistake!  Consider it then that I am Baron del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric.  If I can figure a way to add another layer onto that -- maybe renaming a specific building? -- I will do that, too.  It's going to be like Inception.

We should really try to get a project going to get people to name all the townships.  I bet people would love to do that, and we can make an interactive Google map (which is a lot easier in 2021 than it was in 2008, the last time I tried my hand at it).

As long as we can have a Nordselva township I'm on board!
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on May 07, 2021, 06:54:31 PM
Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on May 07, 2021, 06:08:47 PM

As long as we can have a Nordselva township I'm on board!

I was thinking that we probably want to name them after famous people and events from our history, as well as stuff that is actually in that location, but you are a famous person from our history probably! So that makes sense.