Big History Golda Meir Library Edition 2021 Online rendering now available

Started by GV, May 08, 2021, 12:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GV

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EBLZ9lmwtFCFAjD7Xk5xN-Pof6r8qZLo/view?usp=sharing

Some years ago, Iustì Canun re-typed the whole of the Big History.  It turns out he was working from a physical copy donated in 1994 by Ben Madison to the Golda Meir Library at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee honoring Talossa's fifteenth anniversary as well as Dr. W. A. Renzi, once a Talossan citizen and who taught at UWM up to his sudden death in 1990.

It turns out the text of this 1994 Golda Meir Library Edition differs in some spots from the 2002 Xerox Party Copy (both the xeroxes of the physical I mailed to ILupul and FBuchholtz some years ago).  A reckoning of those differences will be coming eventually.

Linked above at libraryoftalossa.com is a name-translated new reworking of Iusti's work, his original .doc being lost years ago.  I have corrected obvious typos and included many annotations explaining text oddities and other things.  Of course, I have made appropriate name-translations and have redacted images.

Iustì's resultant .pdf (as posted to the Wiki years ago) still exists, though it was not name-translated.  However, because Canun used fonts easily deciphered by Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, a simple export to .html work such magic as to be indistinguishable from magic, preserving nearly all italicisations, paragraph-breaks, and underlinings.  Even Ben's weird Talossan diacritics did not need re-working, though images had to be completely re-exported from my original 2012 and 2014 scans.

I am jazzed as all-get-out to get this done.  Do not expect, however, the same for TNN, though it might be possible work some of the old Stot archives in this way.  TNN is too graphically complex for something like this to work in a feasible amount of time, and unlike any other work of extant Talossanity, the layout and images in JJ's TNN is as much of a character as he is.

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

Just because I love the irony of it, a quote from page 182 translated into the national language.

AUCÜN citaxhién Talossan non parla ladin acest 'glheþ' så nominat, es acest-là includa ça createir, ¡el Regeu...! El 'glheþ Talossan' non c'e sfigurat par la þistoriă, non c'e parlat par el pópul d'aucün päts, es vrätsmint isch solămint ün atentat sür ün  fundamaintsch glheþesc à distonçar Talossa da sieu anavatan, els Estats Viensiçeschti. ¡¿E-ça q'el pópul Talossan... vrätsmint volt ün 'glheþ Talossan' pürmint fauçeu, sinutzil, inchesclenind, es lischnat qi'st butaßat ainciün lor CERVEDOURS?! ¡NON! ¡Nunca...! ¡El Glheþ Anglesc FOST estar el Glheþ Talossan...! Noi non povent açeitar aucün altreu, es per certan NON el 'glheþ Talossan' imparlat, lischnat, ineceßat, es à pünt sinutzil es aiceanta.
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

Tierçéu Rôibeardescù

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial on May 08, 2021, 01:26:01 PM
Just because I love the irony of it, a quote from page 182 translated into the national language.

AUCÜN citaxhién Talossan non parla ladin acest 'glheþ' så nominat, es acest-là includa ça createir, ¡el Regeu...! El 'glheþ Talossan' non c'e sfigurat par la þistoriă, non c'e parlat par el pópul d'aucün päts, es vrätsmint isch solămint ün atentat sür ün  fundamaintsch glheþesc à distonçar Talossa da sieu anavatan, els Estats Viensiçeschti. ¡¿E-ça q'el pópul Talossan... vrätsmint volt ün 'glheþ Talossan' pürmint fauçeu, sinutzil, inchesclenind, es lischnat qi'st butaßat ainciün lor CERVEDOURS?! ¡NON! ¡Nunca...! ¡El Glheþ Anglesc FOST estar el Glheþ Talossan...! Noi non povent açeitar aucün altreu, es per certan NON el 'glheþ Talossan' imparlat, lischnat, ineceßat, es à pünt sinutzil es aiceanta.

I haven't read that page yet, but let me test my talossan in translating it back:

"A???? Talossan citizens do not speak the 'language' in normalised conversation, which also includes it's creator, 'The king!'. The talossan language is (or is not) a significant part of the history, not speaking it is common among the population."

How am I doing so far?
Túischac'h of the 55th Cosa
MC, 55th Cosa, League of Center Conservatives
Secretary-General of the League of centre conservatives
Member of the L'Etats de Cézembre

Tierçéu Rôibeardescù

Also I would like to attempt at creating a audiobook for this? May take some time but it would help with its accessibility.
Túischac'h of the 55th Cosa
MC, 55th Cosa, League of Center Conservatives
Secretary-General of the League of centre conservatives
Member of the L'Etats de Cézembre

GV

Quote from: Txosuè Éiric Rôibeardescù on May 08, 2021, 02:41:42 PM
Also I would like to attempt at creating a audiobook for this? May take some time but it would help with its accessibility.

If you are going to do something like that, go with the earlier 1994 edition (Xerox Party Copy) I am working on and will have done this next week at some point.  So glad to see 'younger' Talossans reading this stuff!