News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Republic Records

Started by Baron Alexandreu Davinescu, May 27, 2021, 12:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GV

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on August 05, 2021, 01:54:45 PM
So we're talking about two different things.  The file Witt2.7z is the archive that I made of the old Kingdom Witt.  It sounds like you aren't able to really open it and use it, which is too bad.  It's more than a gig when uncompressed, so you'll need some space to unzip it.

But did you also get the Republic Witt archive from Danihel?  He says he sent it to you.  Can you open that?

Downloaded, opened, and in good working order from what I can tell.  This archive covers the demise of this forum in 2008 back to November 2004.  The Lytheria Codex covers the inception (FEb 2003) through May 2004.  We are missing posts from June 2004 through about mid-November, but this is not Danihel's fault.  MANY THANKS to him!!

Danihel, please upload your copy of this archive to www.libraryoftalossa.com - You should still have access to that GoogleDrive.  Again, a thousand thanks and many apologies to all for dropping the ball on this and to AD who got me going on this again.

GV, RArchivist

Danihel Txechescu

Quote from: GV on August 05, 2021, 05:03:04 PM
[...] Danihel, please upload your copy of this archive to www.libraryoftalossa.com - You should still have access to that GoogleDrive.  Again, a thousand thanks and many apologies to all for dropping the ball on this and to AD who got me going on this again. [...]

Nopi, no access.

GV

Quote from: Danihel Txechescu on August 05, 2021, 05:49:47 PM
Quote from: GV on August 05, 2021, 05:03:04 PM
[...] Danihel, please upload your copy of this archive to www.libraryoftalossa.com - You should still have access to that GoogleDrive.  Again, a thousand thanks and many apologies to all for dropping the ball on this and to AD who got me going on this again. [...]

Nopi, no access.

You should have an email invite to that GoogleDrive. 

Danihel Txechescu

Quote from: GV on August 06, 2021, 09:43:39 AM
You should have an email invite to that GoogleDrive.
Uploaded.

GV

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

I just got back to my home computer, and was able to grab a copy, too.  Thank you to you both!  Good to know these records didn't evaporate forever, and that posterity will be able to find out some things about the life of the Republic.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Okay, this looks like it captured everything from November 2nd, 2004, to the closure of the forum on March 15th, 2008. Everything prior to the former date wasn't grabbed by the backup utility, however much that might have been. At a first glance, there's no list of threads or chronological menu available, so there's no way to see how many pages weren't backed up. Kind of a weird forum to navigate, actually. Seems like you have to click twice just to read a thread, by first opening up and then clicking to see all the posts? But probably there's just some thing I'm not seeing yet.

As far as I understand, this means that the first 6 months of civic life of the Republic are lost to us, except for a handful of specifically preserved threads. That's pretty unfortunate, because that was obviously pretty important to history. That was when all of the institutions and everything else were being set up and the first elections held. I know GV preserved some of that personally, but there's still bound to be a lot of stuff missing.

Rather more unfortunately, it looks like the second message board used by the Republic wasn't backed up anywhere by anyone, except for some of the titles of the threads in 2008. So that means all of the discussions and most of the records from 2008 to 2012 would be gone. Does anyone have any leads on where we could obtain either of these bodies of records? I feel like I'm forgetting something.  Is it just that Dieter still has the second forum somewhere?  If so, we should make getting that a priority next.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

GV

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on August 19, 2021, 07:32:24 PM
@anglatzara , any thoughts?  @GV ?

The final authority on this is MPF.  I will kick this ball to him for now.

anglatzara

No thoughts or comments. I have given you all I have and I have no clues about how to retrieve stuff that's still missing.

GV

Quote from: anglatzara on August 20, 2021, 02:39:14 AM

No thoughts or comments. I have given you all I have and I have no clues about how to retrieve stuff that's still missing.

@anglatzara If you have anything else re Talossa in digital format, please send it to me.  If in physical form, if you could scan same and send it on to me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Quote from: GV on August 19, 2021, 07:33:22 PM

The final authority on this is MPF.  I will kick this ball to him for now.
As I recall, we have pretty definitively established that MPF doesn't have anything.  I believe the Seneschal said that @Dieter Vercária had any remaining materials. Dieter?

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Repeating what Dieter said:

"I still have a final copy of the Witt XII b database somewhere on my computers, as well as rough web crawler copies of Witt XII b and the last Witt that was hosted by MPF (the infamous "stolen" Witt, so to speak). By the time of the reunion the web crawler copies of Wittenberg were published on a host of a Mexican guy (@Danihel Txechescu ???), but I don't know what became of this."

If I'm interpreting what Dieter says correctly, then Danihel should have rough web crawler copies of Witt XII b as well, not just the ones of Witt X which have been uploaded. And Dieter has the real, complete database. So let's not panic.

I have put Dieter and GV in touch on Facebook. Of course they're both members of the FreeDems group, so GV should have just contacted Dieter himself... but for some reason the idea didn't occur to him?

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Dieter says that the Witt XII b database is in plain text, including all private messages, and is thus not in a state to be opened to the public in toto. Discussions are ongoing with the Royal Archivist on how to make the public domain stuff available to researchers.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

I spent some time looking into this, and it seems like in most configurations the private messages are in their own directory. It should be pretty easy to just avoid copying that directory and copy everything else over to a server.

I'd really rather not just let this go. The last time I asked about this some years ago, I got the brush off. And no one ended up doing anything and so we're back in the situation. It's very hard to write about more recent history of our country if a lot of it is completely closed off.