July 2021 Reform of the Table of Precedence (EDITED)

Started by GV, June 04, 2021, 09:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GV

WHEREAS on 4 June 2021 via https://wittenberg.talossa.com/index.php?topic=910.0 the King requested "We would suggest to Our incoming Ziu, further, that it would be proper to elevate the precedence of Dr. Nordselva's office.  The office and role of the Chancery has changed over time, and so too should its honour.  While the Table of Precedence is a ceremonial device, We feel that it is not in keeping with the dignity or importance of Our Secretary of State for them to rank below every other official at the national level, and We suggest that el Lexhatx be amended so that the head of the Chancery follows the Senior Justice."

WHEREAS the current Secretary of State, Dr. Txec Nordselva has already proven himself more than fit for the most difficult job in Talossa,

WHEREAS the King is absolutely right to suggest this fix,

WHEREAS 34RZ12, proposed by Marcüs Cantaloûr, was the original 'Table of Precedence' and was incorporated into statute law as 34RZ12, which in 2014 was one of the bills the text of which was absorbed into El Lex,

THEREFORE, the ZIU repeals the whole of Lex F.1 and replaces it with the following

Lex F.1.0. The following Table of Precedence shall be used in any circumstances where it is deemed appropriate or desirable to do so. Amendments to the Table of Precedence may be made from time to time as may be necessary. (34RZ12)

1.1. The Sovereign

1.2. The Consort of the Sovereign

1.3. Children of the Sovereign in birth order

1.4. The Prime Minister

1.5. Senior Justice of the Uppermost Cort

1.6. The Secretary of State

1.7. The Mencei of the Senate

1.8. The Speaker of the Cosâ

1.9. The members of the nobility and knighthood in order of their rank and tenure

1.10. Cabinet members according to the seniority of their ministries

1.11. Provincial Constables

1.12. Premiers of Provinces

1.13. Puisne Justices of the Uppermost Cort in order of their appointment.

1.14. Senators

1.15. MCs

1.16. Admiral of the Talossan Royal Navy

1.17. Speakers of the various provincial legislatures in order of their appointment

1.18. Provincial Cabinet members in order of their date of appointment

1.19. Members of Provincial legislatures

1.20. Recipients of Talossan Honours

1.21. Talossan citizens in order of their naturalisation

Uréu q'estadra så:
Gödefrïeu Válcadác'h, Senator - Fiôvâ

<end of bill text>

Edited by GV on 5 June 2021 per ADavinescu's suggestions in this thread

AD: Note my nomenclature 'F.1.0'.  It is my opinion all such introductory 'passages' or clauses when separated from the rest of their title by way of numbering should be so numbered with the redundant digit for future clarity.  Definitely not an urgent thing!  The Scribe has enough to do, but I'm throwing it out here.

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

A few suggestions:

* Probably don't want to actually just start adding in the title to every provision right in the middle.  If this is a change that we want, a simple separate bill instructing the Scribe to make the change would be all that's needed.

* You accidentally repeal the entirety of Title F here.

* You replace "sovereign" with "monarch," and that doesn't sound as cool.

* If we're replacing the English office titles with their Talossan equivalents, probably just do them all, right?  Senior Justice, SoS, Speaker, Senator, MC (well I guess the abbreviation is the same, but probably write it out instead).
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

Speaking of which, what is Secretary of State in Talossan? Perhaps we could include the Talossan version of the titles in the bill?
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on June 04, 2021, 10:13:58 PM
Speaking of which, what is Secretary of State in Talossan? Perhaps we could include the Talossan version of the titles in the bill?
I agree, S:reu Secretar d'Estat. That would be one way and we could better incorporate our national language into our national life, through routine use of the names of the offices.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

GV

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on June 04, 2021, 10:05:36 PM
A few suggestions:

* Probably don't want to actually just start adding in the title to every provision right in the middle.  If this is a change that we want, a simple separate bill instructing the Scribe to make the change would be all that's needed.

Agreed.

* You accidentally repeal the entirety of Title F here.

Whoops!  And this is why we have the Hopper... 

* You replace "sovereign" with "monarch," and that doesn't sound as cool.

Easily fixed.

* If we're replacing the English office titles with their Talossan equivalents, probably just do them all, right?  Senior Justice, SoS, Speaker, Senator, MC (well I guess the abbreviation is the same, but probably write it out instead).

Agreed.  Thanks for all these.

Terms for use in the bill:
* El Seneschal
* El Cadì Vellitor
* El Secretar d'Estat
* El Mençéi, el Presedint del Senäts
* El Túischac'h, el Presedint dal Cosa
* Membreux dal Cosa

I'm not 100% on the genders here.

GV

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on June 05, 2021, 10:38:17 PM
Terms for use in the bill:
* El Seneschal
* El Cadì Vellitor
* El Secretar d'Estat
* El Mençéi, el Presedint del Senäts
* El Túischac'h, el Presedint dal Cosa
* Membreux dal Cosa

I'm not 100% on the genders here.

'El/La'?

I think they're all male, but just not 100% on that.

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

A few things:
- All these titles are masculine by default. Check the Recomendăs for details.
- Almost all nouns in Talossan need an article or another "introduction word". That includes plurals. Check the Recomendăs for details. In this case, itd be either Els Membreux dal Cosă ("The members...") or Dels Membreux dal Cosă (just "Members...")
- it's written Mençei, not Mençéi. The latter is a misspelling, and its been annoying me for a while now.
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

GV

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial on June 06, 2021, 04:09:20 AM
A few things:
- All these titles are masculine by default. Check the Recomendăs for details.
- Almost all nouns in Talossan need an article or another "introduction word". That includes plurals. Check the Recomendăs for details. In this case, itd be either Els Membreux dal Cosă ("The members...") or Dels Membreux dal Cosă (just "Members...")
- it's written Mençei, not Mençéi. The latter is a misspelling, and its been annoying me for a while now.

We will need to Zoom soon, I think.  Certainly assuming the Big Huge Government Job in my possible future comes through...