Wittmeister's Feature List

Started by Sir Lüc, December 04, 2019, 06:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sevastáin Pinátsch

Quote from: Lüc on December 06, 2019, 10:00:33 AM
(Wait, can you see usernames if you aren't an admin? Hmm. Gonna check that now.)
No, we can't, so changing from the original mod might have been a mistake...
Sevastáin Pinátsch, Senator for Atatürk
#KARED

Sir Lüc

Quote from: Sevastáin Pinátsch on December 06, 2019, 10:03:23 AM
Quote from: Lüc on December 06, 2019, 10:00:33 AM
(Wait, can you see usernames if you aren't an admin? Hmm. Gonna check that now.)
No, we can't, so changing from the original mod might have been a mistake...
Right, and for the life of me I can't seem to find where to change that. I apologise for the inconvenience.

I'm reverting it back to the original tagging-by-displayname, and if needed I can see if I can make the display name autocomplete more helpful.

Edit: Should have now been reverted back.
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB
Directeur Sportif, Gordon Hiatus Support Team

In my free time:
Túischac'h dal Cosă / Speaker of the Cosa
Wittmeister & Permanent Secretary of Backend Admin / Secretar Parmanint per l'Aðmistraziun del Backend
Deputy Scribe of Abbavilla / Distain Grefieir d'Abbavillă

Sevastáin Pinátsch

Quote from: Lüc on December 06, 2019, 11:15:24 AM
I'm reverting it back to the original tagging-by-displayname, and if needed I can see if I can make the display name autocomplete more helpful
It's really too bad it works either/or. Now it's easier to find my name (@Sevastáin Pinátsch ) or ( @Miestrâ Schiva, UrN ) but the links aren't there. And your name @L... doesn't autocomplete without the accent over the "u".

Overall though, I'm really pleased with the ability to control and customize this space, and very grateful for all the work you're doing on it.
#KARED

King John

We found it very useful, a few times, for the Admins of the old Witt to be able to tell what IP address a post had come from.  To do this, we had to insert some code in the board's scripts, which ProBoards allowed.  I'd strongly recommend, if it's at all possible to do this here, that we do.

-- John R

Sir Lüc

Quote from: King John on December 06, 2019, 05:56:41 PM
We found it very useful, a few times, for the Admins of the old Witt to be able to tell what IP address a post had come from.  To do this, we had to insert some code in the board's scripts, which ProBoards allowed.  I'd strongly recommend, if it's at all possible to do this here, that we do.

-- John R

Yes, luckily on this platform IP logging is completely automated. Admins can see the source IP for a post immediately above the signature.
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB

In my free time:
Wittmeister & Permanent Secretary of Backend Admin / Secretar Parmanint per l'Aðmistraziun del Backend

Eðo Grischun

Is there a way to place a site-wide limit on signature sizes?  Like a limit to number of lines?  I like seeing the signatures, so don't want to turn off the ability to see them, but someone right now has a signature that literally fills my whole screen, on desktop, on a 38 inch high-res screen!  It's counting as 20 lines of text and space in a fairly large font size.
Eovart Grischun S.H.

Former Distain
Former Minister
Former Senator for Vuode

Sevastáin Pinátsch

Quote from: Eðo Grischun on December 07, 2019, 03:03:56 PM
someone right now has a signature that literally fills my whole screen, on desktop, on a 38 inch high-res screen!  It's counting as 20 lines of text and space in a fairly large font size.
It consumes nearly a whole screen on mobile as well.

So yeah, this would be nice, unless it's better defined as a netiquette issue.
#KARED

GV

There, you can turn off signatures and avatars, as I have done.  :-)

Sevastáin Pinátsch

Quote from: GV on December 07, 2019, 08:30:08 PM
We don't want to turn them off, just limit them. Twenty lines is excessive. Better to save it for the wiki bio.
#KARED

Eðo Grischun

Quote from: GV on December 07, 2019, 08:30:08 PM

Yeah.  I don't want to turn them off. I like seeing what people put in the sigs - when people don't take the piss with them.

I'm nearly sure Proboards had a line limit on signatures......went and checked, it was a 500 character limit.  The option probably exists for this forum too. 
Eovart Grischun S.H.

Former Distain
Former Minister
Former Senator for Vuode

Sir Lüc

Yes, I originally set a 600 character limit (2 x the original 300 which was a bit short to account for image URLs and BB tags).

There is a separate line limit as well (which is currently uncapped) and I think a font size limit as well.

I'm happy to change any of those values based on feedback. Any suggestions on what I should set those to?
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB

In my free time:

Sir Lüc

Quote from: Sevastáin Pinátsch on December 06, 2019, 11:33:08 AM
Quote from: Lüc on December 06, 2019, 11:15:24 AM
I'm reverting it back to the original tagging-by-displayname, and if needed I can see if I can make the display name autocomplete more helpful
It's really too bad it works either/or. Now it's easier to find my name [...] but the links aren't there. And your name @L... doesn't autocomplete without the accent over the "u".

Yeah, that's what I meant by trying to "make the autocomplete more helpful", and also a reason why I preferred username tagging (before I found out that SMF essentially doesn't give a damn about regular username restrictions).
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB

In my free time:

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Quote from: Lüc on December 08, 2019, 05:31:09 AM
Yes, I originally set a 600 character limit (2 x the original 300 which was a bit short to account for image URLs and BB tags).

There is a separate line limit as well (which is currently uncapped) and I think a font size limit as well.

I'm happy to change any of those values based on feedback. Any suggestions on what I should set those to?
Five lines and twelve point font.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Sir Lüc

Off topic, I have tried addressing complaints about table formatting. Now you can do stuff like:

[table border=number]table content[/table]
[td colspan=number rowspan=number]table cell[/td]

As a bonus, some HTML stuff is now available for BBCode (note: not sure where you would define a class...):

[div class="class_of_style" style="rules"]paragraph with style[/div]
[span class="class_of_style" style="rules"]text with style[/span]

In general, you can use class and style attributes with hr, img, li/list and table/td/tr.

An immediate example would be a "nice" 100% width table with a colspan:

[table style="width:100%;" border=1]
[tr] [td colspan=3][b]BIGASS HEADER[/b][/td][/tr]
[tr] [td]2.1[/td] [td]2.2[/td][td]2.3[/td][/tr]
[tr] [td]3.1[/td] [td]3.2[/td][td]3.3[/td][/tr]
[/table]

[table style="width:100%;" border=1]
[tr] [td colspan=3]BIGASS HEADER[/td][/tr]
[tr] [td]2.1[/td] [td]2.2[/td][td]2.3[/td][/tr]
[tr] [td]3.1[/td] [td]3.2[/td][td]3.3[/td][/tr]
[/table]
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB

In my free time:

Eðo Grischun

Ace. Absolutely fantastic.

I'm just going to start calling you Sir Luc from now, in advance of what has to be your inevitable Knighthood.
Eovart Grischun S.H.

Former Distain
Former Minister
Former Senator for Vuode