[Terpelaziun] Technology Minister

Started by Breneir Tzaracomprada, June 02, 2022, 07:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Mr. Túischac'h:

This terpelaziun is for the Technology Minister. The Túischac'h himself has highlighted that our version of the Simple Machines Forum discussion board is out of date and in need of updating. At present, what is the current version that Talossa's Wittenberg is using, for reference, we were using SMF version 2.0.17 at his last checking? Is this the most up-to-date version? If not, when can we expect for Wittenberg to be updated?

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Administration of Wittenberg is part of the responsibility of the Chancery, so I think I'll have to defer to the SoS on this issue.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on June 02, 2022, 03:25:46 PM
Administration of Wittenberg is part of the responsibility of the Chancery, so I think I'll have to defer to the SoS on this issue.

Thank you Minister. Secretary of State/Party Leader @Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM would you be willing to advise the Ziu on this matter?

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on June 02, 2022, 03:29:16 PM

Thank you Minister. Secretary of State/Party Leader @Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM would you be willing to advise the Ziu on this matter?

There are currently no plans to upgrade at this time. It appears to be both time intensive and, frankly, a bit scary to do, as I don't want to break things, and I'm not confident in my own technical abilities in regards to SMF upgrades. My most immediate concern is replacing or taking Chancery control of the national database. However, if and when I do plan on upgrading, I'd be happy to let you know.

As a point of personal privilege, I would ask the honorable Senator to not conflate my title of Secretary of State with my current role as leader of the Free Democrats. Those two titles are not tied together, nor should they be, as I endeavor in all matters to be impartial in my leadership of the Chancery.

Edit: I did a quick look and even if I could upgrade, I can't do it. I don't have FTP access to the server that hosts our forum. That is outside of my role.
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on June 02, 2022, 03:46:12 PM
Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on June 02, 2022, 03:29:16 PM

There are currently no plans to upgrade at this time. It appears to be both time intensive and, frankly, a bit scary to do, as I don't want to break things, and I'm not confident in my own technical abilities in regards to SMF upgrades. My most immediate concern is replacing or taking Chancery control of the national database. However, if and when I do plan on upgrading, I'd be happy to let you know.

As a point of personal privilege, I would ask the honorable Senator to not conflate my title of Secretary of State with my current role as leader of the Free Democrats. Those two titles are not tied together, nor should they be, as I endeavor in all matters to be impartial in my leadership of the Chancery.

Edit: I did a quick look and even if I could upgrade, I can't do it. I don't have FTP access to the server that hosts our forum. That is outside of my role.

I mean absolutely no disrespect here because I think you do a good job. I said this when you were elected as the FDT party president. But the risk of conflation and any appearance of conflict is not caused by me calling you the titles you hold, sir, it is caused by you actually holding them. I wholeheartedly agree with you that "these two titles SHOULD not be tied together."

I thank the Secretary of State/Party Leader for his answer.

You did not answer my question

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on June 02, 2022, 04:45:53 PM

With all due respect, I did answer the question, but I forgot to mention the current version (which is at the bottom of every page of Witt). 2.0.19. Also, out of respect, a terpelaziun is intended to be directed at an MC or a government minister (El. Lex H2). I answered as a courtesy, not expecting the sharply worded reply from the honorable Senator.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on June 02, 2022, 04:57:36 PM

With all due respect, I did answer the question, but I forgot to mention the current version (which is at the bottom of every page of Witt). 2.0.19. Also, out of respect, a terpelaziun is intended to be directed at an MC or a government minister (El. Lex H2). I answered as a courtesy, not expecting the sharply worded reply from the honorable Senator.

Dr. dal Nordselva I did thank you for your answer and still do appreciate your courtesy. Although I must apologize for a typo! I left the "you did not answer my question" on accidentally. I thought I had erased that when I hit submit. That is why the statement does not have a period. I can't apologize for my reply concerning conflation of your roles as that is a matter of principle on which, as my party mates know, I feel quite strongly.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Miestră Schivă, UrN

As a point of order here, while it is true that Terpelaziuns as defined in El Lexhatx H.2 only apply to members of the Government, El Lexhatx C.2.1 suggests that the Secretary of State can be called to account by the Túischac'h and Mençéi as representatives of the Ziu. And of course anyone is entitled to ask any questions of anyone, "informally" outwith the Ziu.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on June 02, 2022, 05:07:36 PM
Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on June 02, 2022, 04:57:36 PM

Dr. dal Nordselva I did thank you for your answer and still do appreciate your courtesy. Although I must apologize for a typo! I left the "you did not answer my question" on accidentally. I thought I had erased that when I hit submit. That is why the statement does not have a period. I can't apologize for my reply concerning conflation of your roles as that is a matter of principle on which, as my party mates know, I feel quite strongly.

No worries Senator. I'm not asking for an apology, but I was stunned at the last sentence. As the inimitable Kermit the Frog sang in "The Muppet Movie" in my seventh year way back in 1979 (and a staple of my childhood!). "Moving right along."
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on June 02, 2022, 05:10:19 PM
As a point of order here, while it is true that Terpelaziuns as defined in El Lexhatx H.2 only apply to members of the Government, El Lexhatx C.2.1 suggests that the Secretary of State can be called to account by the Túischac'h and Mençéi as representatives of the Ziu. And of course anyone is entitled to ask any questions of anyone, "informally" outwith the Ziu.

That's correct, thus why I answered, even though neither the Túischac'h and Mençéi asked me a question.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Quote from: Dr. Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, Esq., O.SPM, SMM on June 02, 2022, 03:46:12 PM
I did a quick look and even if I could upgrade, I can't do it. I don't have FTP access to the server that hosts our forum. That is outside of my role.

S:reu Secretary of State, I wonder if you happen to know who does have FTP access?
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on July 16, 2022, 06:42:11 PM
I did a quick look and even if I could upgrade, I can't do it. I don't have FTP access to the server that hosts our forum. That is outside of my role.

S:reu Secretary of State, I wonder if you happen to know who does have FTP access?

Baron, I do not know. That is something perhaps Dame Miestrâ knows about.
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Miestră Schivă, UrN

I am going to go out on a limb and say that either Lüc da Schir or Eðo Grischün do, or they know who does. I have access to the hosting on doroyal.com but I wouldn't even know where to look to find "who has FTP access". As I keep saying, I'm only in this job because all the technical gurus went into retirement.

Is fixing this situation one of the top priorities for the Government?  Since it seems incredibly dangerous right now.  If anything went wrong with the forum, the website, the wiki, or anything else -- I mean, we'd be in a rough spot.