The New Word Suggestion Threads -- El Fil dels Noveux Mocts Suxhestats

Started by Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP, April 10, 2020, 06:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bråneu Excelsio

Fiován.

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

Quote from: Bråneu Excelsio on August 31, 2022, 06:39:06 PM
I added a few!
Fair enough, here's a list of newly suggested words. I've decided to reject all three of them and here's why.

• esprëso, "espresso" (masculine noun): Incorrect spelling aside (whats the Ë doing there?), "espresso" is an Italian loanword for a very Italian beverage. As such I see no point in coining a specifically Talossan word for it, just use espresso (or espreßo if you insist, ẞ and SS are mostly interchangeable).
  • espomar, "to froth" (verb): The Talossan word for froth is sploimă. So the verb "to froth" can be regularly derived to be sploimiçar (sploimă "froth" + -içar "-ize, to make into"), no new dictionary entry necessary.
  • gräno, "bean (green bean, coffee bean)" (masculine noun): No etymology was given, and I don't recognise the word myself. But aside from that, Talossan already has a word for "bean" that you can use: þáriqeu.

There was also a word request for "portafilter". As far as I can tell, the English word is either a blend of "portable filter", in which case the Talossan word is strecureir porteble, or it comes from Italian "portafiltro", literally "carries-filter", in which case the Talossan word is apoartastrecureir. Comparisons with other Romance languages lead me to believe the latter origin is more likely, so my suggestion for "portafilter" would be apoartastrecureir.

Comments and corrections are appreciated.
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

Bråneu Excelsio

I've seen people use expresso outside of Italy and sometimes they use the word espresso. It's a common mistake and I thought maybe you could decide on one.

I didn't find "froth" but I think that's because I was looking specifically for verbs instead of "all" in the query / filter thingy. My bad.

Bean in english is really broad, as beans (english breakfast, mexican breakfast) in spanish, italian and french is different than coffee beans.
Spanish: Frijol / Grano de café.
Italian: Fagiolo / chicco/grano di café.
French: Haricots / Grain de café.
I don't think it'd be appropiate to use " þáriqeu de cafe" but I'm figuring "tridicour de cafè" would be the best answer?

Apoartastrecureir sounds good, thanks.
Fiován.