The Nonpartisan SoS Act

Started by Breneir Tzaracomprada, December 02, 2023, 07:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Whereas, it is a vital national interest to have an election administration authority free of actual or reasonably perceived partisan partiality, and

Whereas, the below-proposed restrictions (as a part of ensuring this interest are modelled after those written by Dama Miestra Schiva in 53RZ2 The Civil Service (Commissioner Abolition) Bill, and

Whereas, this bill would still allow parties to appoint whoever they choose as national party officers but those officers themselves would not be permitted to serve as Secretary of State simultaneously.

Therefore, be it enacted by the Ziu, that El Lexhatx C.5 which currently reads:

Quote5. The Secretary of State shall hold no seat in the Ziu.

Is amended to read as follows:

Quote5. The Secretary of State shall not hold the offices of Seneschal, Distain, Judge of the Uppermost Cort, Monarch, any cabinet portfolio, any leadership office in a political party at the national level, or member of the Ziu.

Ureu q'estadra så,
Mximo Carbonel (Sen-FL)

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

Just for your reference S:reu Tzaracomprada:

QuoteEl Lex.H 6.1. All citizens of Talossa are entitled to participate fully in discussions and debates in the Hopper, within the bounds of law and of the decisions of the administering and presiding authorities of the Hopper. Any citizen may submit a draft of legislation to the Hopper, though these shall not be considered to be "legislative proposals" until sponsored by one or more individuals authorised to submit legislative proposals under Organic Law VII.5.

OrgLaw VII.5: Section 5
Any Member of the Cosa, or a Senator, or the King, or the Secretary of State, shall have the right to submit legislative proposals, and bills to the Secretary of State for consideration by the Ziu according to the procedures specified in this article, and specified by law. Within the bounds and rules imposed by law, tradition, and reason, the Secretary of State shall ensure that all legislators be allowed to submit their bills for consideration.

You will need a sponsor for your draft legislation.
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB on December 02, 2023, 08:49:22 PMJust for your reference S:reu Tzaracomprada:

QuoteEl Lex.H 6.1. All citizens of Talossa are entitled to participate fully in discussions and debates in the Hopper, within the bounds of law and of the decisions of the administering and presiding authorities of the Hopper. Any citizen may submit a draft of legislation to the Hopper, though these shall not be considered to be "legislative proposals" until sponsored by one or more individuals authorised to submit legislative proposals under Organic Law VII.5.

OrgLaw VII.5: Section 5
Any Member of the Cosa, or a Senator, or the King, or the Secretary of State, shall have the right to submit legislative proposals, and bills to the Secretary of State for consideration by the Ziu according to the procedures specified in this article, and specified by law. Within the bounds and rules imposed by law, tradition, and reason, the Secretary of State shall ensure that all legislators be allowed to submit their bills for consideration.

You will need a sponsor for your draft legislation.

Thanks Txec. Yeah, I am not sure who will, but I wanted to throw it out there since Miestra mentioned it.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Just a note to say the revision brings the restrictions into line with those for permanent secretaries. With the addition of a bar from national party leadership.

Miestra I think you authored those previous restrictions.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Ian Plätschisch

Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on December 02, 2023, 11:43:46 PMJust a note to say the revision brings the restrictions into line with those for permanent secretaries.
Permanent secretaries can be members of the Ziu.

I would argue this proposed law violates the third covenant.

QuoteTalossans have the right to freely organize political parties and other organizations, subject to their own laws of membership, and this right may not be abridged except with regards to organizations which advocate the use of violence or intimidation to attain political or other ends, or which seek to restrain any person or group of people from the exercise of their rights as granted under these Covenants.

Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB on December 03, 2023, 09:21:28 AMI would argue this proposed law violates the third covenant.

QuoteTalossans have the right to freely organize political parties and other organizations, subject to their own laws of membership, and this right may not be abridged except with regards to organizations which advocate the use of violence or intimidation to attain political or other ends, or which seek to restrain any person or group of people from the exercise of their rights as granted under these Covenants.

Sounds like something for the corts to decide. Should this be passed feel free to bring a lawsuit and let the judiciary settle it.

Heck, there could even be a request for am advisory opinion now, I think. Txec, you actually did this last term.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Ian Plätschisch on December 03, 2023, 07:06:45 AM
Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on December 02, 2023, 11:43:46 PMJust a note to say the revision brings the restrictions into line with those for permanent secretaries.

Just a helpful hint here...considering one element of the TNC-FreeDems negotiations... I'm referring to the cabinet portfolio 😀

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Breneir Tzaracomprada

@mximo would you be willing to sponsor this bill? You voted for a bill encouraging an apolitical Chancery in the Florencian House of Shepherds just days ago.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Ian Plätschisch

Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on December 03, 2023, 10:56:51 AM
Quote from: Ian Plätschisch on December 03, 2023, 07:06:45 AM

Just a helpful hint here...considering one element of the TNC-FreeDems negotiations... I'm referring to the cabinet portfolio 😀
I'm not sure what you mean.

Ian Plätschisch

Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on December 03, 2023, 10:44:03 AMSounds like something for the corts to decide. Should this be passed feel free to bring a lawsuit and let the judiciary settle it.

This is really not how lawmaking is supposed to work. The citizenship oath to uphold the Organic Law applies to everyone.

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Ian Plätschisch on December 03, 2023, 01:35:15 PM
Quote from: Breneir Tzaracomprada on December 03, 2023, 10:44:03 AMSounds like something for the corts to decide. Should this be passed feel free to bring a lawsuit and let the judiciary settle it.

This is really not how lawmaking is supposed to work. The citizenship oath to uphold the Organic Law applies to everyone.

It is exactly how lawmaking works. If there is a question on a bill's compliance with the law then the judiciary can settle that question. We don't immediately assume it is not compliant at the presentation of a question...though that may serve certain people's goals well in this case.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Actually, as SoS I am empowered to not Clark any bill I find to be inorganic, which is why I brought up the Third Covenant. It was a suggestion to reword your proposal. 
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
Cunstaval da Vuode
Former Seneschal

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB on December 03, 2023, 01:56:19 PMActually, as SoS I am empowered to not Clark any bill I find to be inorganic, which is why I brought up the Third Covenant. It was a suggestion to reword your proposal. 

Thank you Txec. I assumed you would ask for an advisory opinion and didn't know it was also up to your discretion as well. As mentioned in Discord, I respectfully withdraw this proposal, not assuming or trying to force your hand, but to demonstrate that other avenues would be acceptable too.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Glüc da Dhi S.H.

Quote from: Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB on December 03, 2023, 09:21:28 AMI would argue this proposed law violates the third covenant.

I would strongly disagree. We're not talking about the right to be a party officer. Anyone has that right. We are talking about requirements for secretary of state. This is a government function. It's is perfectly valid for the ziu to set restrictions on who can hold such a position. If this proposal were to pass anyone would still be free to become a party officer. They just could not also be sos. Super broad interpretations of convenants are dangerous, because it reduces the ability of the ziu and the people to hold the government accountable. The convenants should protect citizens from the state, not the other way round.
Director of Money Laundering and Sportswashing, Banqeu da Cézembre