Nimlet Session XVII (Sep 2020-May 2021)

Started by Breneir Tzaracomprada, September 01, 2020, 08:01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Quote from: Breneir Itravilatx on December 21, 2020, 05:24:16 AM
Voting has now closed on Resolution 2020-09. It has passed with 8 votes in favor, 0 votes in opposition.

Pursuant to Article IV, Section 6 of the Florencian Constitution I, Breneir Itravilatx, Governor of Florencia, do hereby place my signature for Resolution 2020-09 as duly approved by a vote of the current session of the House of Shepherds.

I send this Resolution for consideration to our Regent since the office of Constable is currently vacant. @Sir Alexandreu Davinescu please advise on your consideration of this Resolution. The deadline for Constable Consideration is 9:00am TST, December 28, 2020. Should the Constable fail to issue an Approval or Veto of the Resolution it will be considered approved.

/s/
Breneir Itravilatx

Com'el rexhaint per la Coronă, aprovéu acest proxhect da legeu.

Acting on behalf of the crown, I hereby issue my approval in the name of King John acting in the person of his cunstaval for the resolution in question, and thank the Nimlet for its good service.

—  Sir Alexandreu, Rexhaint d'Ian Regeu
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Açafat del Val

I vote a strenuous NO to 2020-10 and 2020-11.

Clearly by the end of this term the Constitution of Florencia will cease to be, and become instead the Constitution of Breneir.

I will point out again that, when I undertook the rewriting of our provincial constitution at this time last year, I made a point to include interested parties in advance and to seek their input and feedback. Dropping things off in the Nimlet is not equal or comparable.

These changes are piecemeal. If you are so adamant about removing the Constable's ability to introduce legislation, then you should also make several other changes so that Florencia is not some broken frankenstein between parliamentary and presidential frames of government.

It is unconscionable that Florencia would recognize an unelected representative of the King as its head of the province, but then relegate the Constable to being a figurehead. PLUS - and this is frankly more important - the Organic Law of Talossa requires that the Constable have virtually the same rights in the province as the King has in the nation. Removing the Constable's ability to introduce legislation is inOrganic.

And we should allow the Governor to resign from the office but keep seats in the House? Absurd. The office of the Governor is supposed to be a position of incredible honor; by allowing someone to resign one but keep the other, it cheapens the role. PLUS - and this is frankly more important - the Governor is granted seats ex officio. What sort of weird games are we going to allow if a Governor could hypothetically keep some seats but resign others, in order to play around with the seat assignments? The very seat assignments, I will remind, that you amended constitutionally so that the Governor now has unilateral control over them.

Your unilateral changes to our constitution - because, let's be honest, you're certainly not seeking feedback from anyone outside yourself or the LCC - are more than cosmetic. You are changing things dangerously and drastically, in order recreate Florenica into a province of one man; whosoever may become the Governor would be a tyrant.

Undemocratic, unfair, and ill-advised.
Cheers,

AdV
ex-Senator for Florencia
Jolly Good Fellow of the Royal Talossan College of Arms

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Seeing that Resolution 2020-10 has been voted on by all members of the House of Shepherds I make a request under Article IV, Section 3 of our province's Constitution that the voting period be terminated early.

If there is no objection, voting will close early at 8:00PM TST December 29th, 2020.

Is there objection to closing the voting period early?

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Açafat del Val on December 28, 2020, 01:54:25 PM
I vote a strenuous NO to 2020-10 and 2020-11.

Clearly by the end of this term the Constitution of Florencia will cease to be, and become instead the Constitution of Breneir.

I will point out again that, when I undertook the rewriting of our provincial constitution at this time last year, I made a point to include interested parties in advance and to seek their input and feedback. Dropping things off in the Nimlet is not equal or comparable.

These changes are piecemeal. If you are so adamant about removing the Constable's ability to introduce legislation, then you should also make several other changes so that Florencia is not some broken frankenstein between parliamentary and presidential frames of government.

It is unconscionable that Florencia would recognize an unelected representative of the King as its head of the province, but then relegate the Constable to being a figurehead. PLUS - and this is frankly more important - the Organic Law of Talossa requires that the Constable have virtually the same rights in the province as the King has in the nation. Removing the Constable's ability to introduce legislation is inOrganic.

And we should allow the Governor to resign from the office but keep seats in the House? Absurd. The office of the Governor is supposed to be a position of incredible honor; by allowing someone to resign one but keep the other, it cheapens the role. PLUS - and this is frankly more important - the Governor is granted seats ex officio. What sort of weird games are we going to allow if a Governor could hypothetically keep some seats but resign others, in order to play around with the seat assignments? The very seat assignments, I will remind, that you amended constitutionally so that the Governor now has unilateral control over them.

Your unilateral changes to our constitution - because, let's be honest, you're certainly not seeking feedback from anyone outside yourself or the LCC - are more than cosmetic. You are changing things dangerously and drastically, in order recreate Florenica into a province of one man; whosoever may become the Governor would be a tyrant.

Undemocratic, unfair, and ill-advised.

Pastour/Senator del Val,

Resolution 2020-11 has not yet reach the voting period.
It is currently being scrutinized during a period of review.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Breneir Itravilatx on December 28, 2020, 06:38:40 PM
Seeing that Resolution 2020-10 has been voted on by all members of the House of Shepherds I make a request under Article IV, Section 3 of our province's Constitution that the voting period be terminated early.

If there is no objection, voting will close early at 8:00PM TST December 29th, 2020.

Seeing that 24 hours has passed without an objection, voting is terminated early for Resolution 2020-10.
Resolution 2020-10 is approved by a vote of 8 votes in favor, 2 votes in opposition.

Pursuant to Article IV, Section 6 of the Florencian Constitution I, Breneir Itravilatx, Governor of Florencia, do hereby place my signature for Resolution 2020-10 as duly approved by a vote of the current session of the House of Shepherds.

I send this Resolution for consideration to our Constable. Seeing that the office of Constable is currently vacant, @Sir Alexandreu Davinescu, please advise on your consideration of this Resolution. The deadline for Constable Consideration is 9:00am TST, January 6, 2021. Should the Constable or other responsible authority fail to issue an Approval or Veto the Resolution it will be considered approved.

/s/
Breneir Itravilatx

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Quote from: Breneir Itravilatx on December 29, 2020, 08:12:02 PM

Seeing that 24 hours has passed without an objection, voting is terminated early for Resolution 2020-10.
Resolution 2020-10 is approved by a vote of 8 votes in favor, 2 votes in opposition.

Pursuant to Article IV, Section 6 of the Florencian Constitution I, Breneir Itravilatx, Governor of Florencia, do hereby place my signature for Resolution 2020-10 as duly approved by a vote of the current session of the House of Shepherds.

I send this Resolution for consideration to our Constable. Seeing that the office of Constable is currently vacant, @Sir Alexandreu Davinescu, please advise on your consideration of this Resolution. The deadline for Constable Consideration is 9:00am TST, January 6, 2021. Should the Constable or other responsible authority fail to issue an Approval or Veto the Resolution it will be considered approved.

/s/
Breneir Itravilatx

Com'el rexhaint per la Coronă, refuçéu va sancziun à'cest proxhect da legeu es perventüră exerciçéu l'impidamaintsch rexhital.

Acting as regent for the Crown, I refuse my assent to this bill and herewith exercise the royal veto.  I cannot approve the elimination of the power of the royal constable to introduce legislation, which is a useful element of the custodial role of the throne.  I regret that I failed to register my objection on behalf of the Crown before this moment, and offer my apologies for failing to work with you to find a solution that was mutually agreeable.  If it is suitable to the House of Shepherds, I would like to reintroduce this bill immediately and open it once more for discussion.

Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Quote from: Sir Alexandreu Davinescu on December 30, 2020, 07:44:41 PM
Quote from: Breneir Itravilatx on December 29, 2020, 08:12:02 PM

/s/
Breneir Itravilatx

Com'el rexhaint per la Coronă, refuçéu va sancziun à'cest proxhect da legeu es perventüră exerciçéu l'impidamaintsch rexhital.

Acting as regent for the Crown, I refuse my assent to this bill and herewith exercise the royal veto.  I cannot approve the elimination of the power of the royal constable to introduce legislation, which is a useful element of the custodial role of the throne.  I regret that I failed to register my objection on behalf of the Crown before this moment, and offer my apologies for failing to work with you to find a solution that was mutually agreeable.  If it is suitable to the House of Shepherds, I would like to reintroduce this bill immediately and open it once more for discussion.

I thank the Regent for his comments and notification of his exercising of the Veto for Resolution 2020-10.
The Regent, acting as the Constabulatory authority, has requested reintroduction the bill immediately.

Under Article IV, Section 6 of Florencia's Constitution, I present Resolution 2020-10 again for consideration.
The period of review will end at 9:00AM January 8th, 2021.
The deadline for legislative re-consideration, as specified in the aforementioned section of the Constitution, is 9:00AM January 17th, 2021.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Thank you and I apologize again for the abruptness.

So as I read this, the general idea is that only members of the legislature should be allowed to introduce legislation, and the impetus is based on a general principle along those lines? Is that something you feel strongly about?

Açafat del Val

Quote from: Sir Alexandreu Davinescu on December 31, 2020, 01:49:55 PM
Thank you and I apologize again for the abruptness.

So as I read this, the general idea is that only members of the legislature should be allowed to introduce legislation, and the impetus is based on a general principle along those lines? Is that something you feel strongly about?

I do not intend to speak for or on the behalf of the Governor, but having asked a similar question a year ago when he and I were working in Google Docs on the eventual constitutional reform, it is my understanding that he opposes the idea in principle. That is to say, in his belief, the Constable is not a legislator, should have not undue influence on the legislature and, therefore, should lack the ability to introduce legislation at all.

Of course, I agree with the principle - I am a republican, after all, and oppose the existence of the Constable in the first place - but the Organic Law is pretty clear on which powers the Constable must necessarily possess. Moreover, I detest inconsistency and broken constitutions more than I detest a mostly powerless Constable, so if we are going to remove the Constable's ability to introduce legislation, then it should come with other reforms or not happen at all.
Cheers,

AdV
ex-Senator for Florencia

Açafat del Val

Quote from: Breneir Itravilatx on December 28, 2020, 06:42:51 PM
Pastour/Senator del Val,

Resolution 2020-11 has not yet reach the voting period.
It is currently being scrutinized during a period of review.

I am cognizant and appreciate that the tone of my written words tends to appear hostile, so I want to clarify that I am meaning to fight the argument and not the person.

To the extent that I may be unable to return to Wittenberg whenever the voting period begins, I hope that the Governor will recognize my vote on Resolution 2020-11 and count it in the final tally. 
Cheers,

AdV
ex-Senator for Florencia

Breneir Tzaracomprada

The period of review has now closed on Resolution 2020-11.
We now move forward to voting.
Voting will close at 9:00AM TST on January 13th, 2021.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Breneir Tzaracomprada

The second period of review has now closed on Resolution 2020-10.
We now move forward to voting.
Voting will close at 9:00AM TST on January 15th, 2021.

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Breneir Tzaracomprada

Distain, MC
Fighting the good fight

Açafat del Val

So, to be clear, we did not make any changes to 2020-10 and merely reintroduced it, despite the Constable's veto?

I vote NO on 2020-10 and 2020-11 for aforementioned reasons.
Cheers,

AdV
ex-Senator for Florencia