News:

Welcome to Wittenberg!

Main Menu

Two things about this forum

Started by King John, April 30, 2021, 07:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King John

Would someone be so kind as to tell me how to get my coat of arms to display here?

And, how do you type diacriticals and other special characters here?  I've cut-n-pasted, but I'd gotten so used to typing things like — and é on the other forum, and I miss it.  What's the secret?

-- John R

Tierçéu Rôibeardescù

Your coat of arms can be uploaded as an image, you go to your profile, forum profile and it should be on the list of upload image.
Túischac'h of the 55th Cosa
MC, 55th Cosa, League of Center Conservatives
Secretary-General of the League of centre conservatives
Member of the L'Etats de Cézembre

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

I don't know how to do diacriticals on here, either -- I have mostly been pasting in from Docs.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

anglatzara

Stöds inte Münchens élite och Rhôneviner återkommande? Un più.

In other words, this board supports UTF-8, as far as I can tell. You need to make sure your OS and keyboard can create special characters and diacritics. If they do, you just type them like I did above.

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

Yeah, thats how I type Talossan here as well: I created a custom keyboard layout for it.
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

Viteu

How does one change the text above the avatar? Like if I wanted to change "Justice" to "Judge"?
Viteu Marcianüs
Puisne Judge of the Uppermost Cort

Former FreeDem (Vote PRESENT)

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

Quote from: Viteu on May 11, 2021, 02:31:56 PM
How does one change the text above the avatar? Like if I wanted to change "Justice" to "Judge"?

That requires an admin (me) to do. I'll fix it for you.
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

Quote from: anglatzara on May 11, 2021, 10:14:36 AM
Stöds inte Münchens élite och Rhôneviner återkommande? Un più.

In other words, this board supports UTF-8, as far as I can tell. You need to make sure your OS and keyboard can create special characters and diacritics. If they do, you just type them like I did above.

I feel stupid, because I can't get this to work.  The help articles for Windows that I found seem to indicate that you do CTRL+SHIFT+: then a letter to put a diaresis, for example, but if I try to do that with the letter A, it doesn't work.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on May 12, 2021, 01:50:21 PM
I feel stupid, because I can't get this to work.  The help articles for Windows that I found seem to indicate that you do CTRL+SHIFT+: then a letter to put a diaresis, for example, but if I try to do that with the letter A, it doesn't work.
Thats because that shortcut only works in Microsoft Word and Outlook. If you want to type diacritics independent of the program, you'll need to either memorise Unicode codepoints or install another keyboard layout, for example US-International.

Are the codepoints pretty easy to learn?

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on May 12, 2021, 02:14:26 PM
Are the codepoints pretty easy to learn?
Well, theyre seemingly arbitrary sequences of four numbers, and upper and lower cases get separate values. Personally, I find them hard to remember, but every brain works differently.

Well, let's see... How many diacritics are there to remember? Like six or eight or something like that? If I understand correctly, the cedilla is barely used, right?

Maybe I'll make up a little cheatsheet for myself. I use too many different computers for changing keyboard layouts, I think.

I wonder if it's possible to just add diacritic buttons over the post window. As far as I know about the forum software, it shouldn't be too hard. That might be another way to do it to make it more accessible for people.

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on May 12, 2021, 02:36:24 PM
Well, let's see... How many diacritics are there to remember? Like six or eight or something like that? If I understand correctly, the cedilla is barely used, right?

Maybe I'll make up a little cheatsheet for myself. I used too many different computers for changing keyboard layouts, I think.
If you mean for Talossan, then we can count them all. (On that note, no, Ç shows up quite often.)

Whats important is that its not the diacritics themselves that get codepoints in this case, but rather the letter with that diacritic together, theye precomposed. Which means:

Umlaut/Diaeresis: Ää Ëë Ïï Öö Üü
Acute accent: Áá Éé Íí Óó Úú
Grave accent: Àà Èè Ìì Òò Ùù
Ring accent: Åå
Breve accent: Ăă

Consonants: Þþ Ðð Çç

In total 40 separate codepoints (not counting obsolete diacritics like circumflexes) you'd need to memerise for Talossan. Installing a new keyboard layout would definitely be easier.

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial on May 12, 2021, 02:42:16 PM
Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on May 12, 2021, 02:36:24 PM

Maybe I'll make up a little cheatsheet for myself. I used too many different computers for changing keyboard layouts, I think.
If you mean for Talossan, then we can count them all. (On that note, no, Ç shows up quite often.)

Whats important is that its not the diacritics themselves that get codepoints in this case, but rather the letter with that diacritic together, theye precomposed. Which means:

Umlaut/Diaeresis: Ää Ëë Ïï Öö Üü
Acute accent: Áá Éé Íí Óó Úú
Grave accent: Àà Èè Ìì Òò Ùù
Ring accent: Åå
Breve accent: Ăă

Consonants: Þþ Ðð Çç

In total 40 separate codepoints (not counting obsolete diacritics like circumflexes) you'd need to memerise for Talossan. Installing a new keyboard layout would definitely be easier.

That's... a lot.  So yeah, it looks like you're right.