Main Menu

Two things about this forum

Started by King John, April 30, 2021, 07:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viteu

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on May 12, 2021, 05:02:01 PM
Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial on May 12, 2021, 02:42:16 PM
Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on May 12, 2021, 02:36:24 PM
Well, let's see... How many diacritics are there to remember? Like six or eight or something like that? If I understand correctly, the cedilla is barely used, right?

Maybe I'll make up a little cheatsheet for myself. I used too many different computers for changing keyboard layouts, I think.
If you mean for Talossan, then we can count them all. (On that note, no, Ç shows up quite often.)

Whats important is that its not the diacritics themselves that get codepoints in this case, but rather the letter with that diacritic together, theye precomposed. Which means:

Umlaut/Diaeresis: Ää Ëë Ïï Öö Üü
Acute accent: Áá Éé Íí Óó Úú
Grave accent: Àà Èè Ìì Òò Ùù
Ring accent: Åå
Breve accent: Ăă

Consonants: Þþ Ðð Çç

In total 40 separate codepoints (not counting obsolete diacritics like circumflexes) you'd need to memerise for Talossan. Installing a new keyboard layout would definitely be easier.

That's... a lot.  So yeah, it looks like you're right.

Here's a full list from my old bookmark folder for altcodes: https://fsymbols.com/keyboard/windows/alt-codes/

Don't know if anyone else has had this issue but Chrome has a weird bug that comes up for me from time to time when I attempt to use the unicode (e.g. alt+0252 ü)--a new window opens and the prior window refreshes.  This can be frustrating if you're typing something, like, oh I don't know, Marcianüs, in a long post and suddenly it's gone.  The other downside to the alt+unicode method is the limitation of not having a number pad on a laptop. 

I use the alt+Unicode on my work computer for obvious reasons, but for my personal machines, I use an app called "HoldKey" https://www.holdkey.eu/, which enables Windows machines to have the same function Mac OS X has (and cell phone users) of holding down the letter and selecting the accent.  It has a trial version, but it's only a few dollars and well worth it. 
Viteu Marcianüs
Puisne Judge of the Uppermost Cort

Former FreeDem (Vote PRESENT)

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Hm.  Thanks, man.  This seems like it must be such a common problem for any board that uses a language with diacritics, but I guess people just either do without, make the necessary changes on their local machine, or memorize the codes.  I did a quick search around to see if anyone has any fixes for Simple Machine Forums, but it doesn't seem like it.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Miestră Schivă, UrN

The basic "US-international" keyboard on Windows, allows me to do all those characters with no problem, except for A-breve. The Linux-xfce US-international keyboard includes the A-breve. Luckily, A-breve isn't strictly necessary in modern Talossan.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Þhí§ ís Á þésþ.

Oh my.  Thanks!  I'll have to get used to doing it this way instead of doing it right in Google docs, but now maybe I can pick up speed a little bit.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

It is fortunately really easy to do diacriticals on Mac :-)
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal

You know, classical Latin didn't have diacriticals.  Why couldn't Robert I have been enraptured by that?

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on May 12, 2021, 07:39:01 PM
You know, classical Latin didn't have diacriticals.  Why couldn't Robert I have been enraptured by that?
1) The ancient Romans used apices to mark long vowels, but those are hard to spot because they are very thin strokes compared to the letters.
2) The oldest forms of Talossan has no diacritics at all. It's pretty funny actually; Talossan went from zero diacritics to way too many of them to a lot of them to reasonable-ish amounts within 40 years.
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial on May 12, 2021, 07:44:06 PM
2) The oldest forms of Talossan has no diacritics at all. It's pretty funny actually; Talossan went from zero diacritics to way too many of them to a lot of them to reasonable-ish amounts within 40 years.
I hereby declare that we must return to the truest and purest Talossan.

Viteu

Because I'm in an oddly good mood:

ithoughtclassicallatinalsodidnthaveaspacebetweenwordsoranyothergrammaticalmarkersbuticouldbewrongbutwhoknowsthenagainiamahorribleproofreaderformyownworksoperhapsthatwouldcoverupmytyposyesokayimsoldonclassicallatin

Viteu Marcianüs

Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on May 12, 2021, 08:02:38 PM

Oh, trust me, vosotreu neu wanteu c'.

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial on May 12, 2021, 08:34:03 PM
Quote from: Baron Alexandreu Davinescu on May 12, 2021, 08:02:38 PM

Oh, trust me, vosotreu neu wanteu c'.
No, as V says, we need to be even purer.

Vosotreuneuwanteuc'.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Viteu on May 12, 2021, 08:15:08 PM
Because I'm in an oddly good mood:

ithoughtclassicallatinalsodidnthaveaspacebetweenwordsoranyothergrammaticalmarkersbuticouldbewrongbutwhoknowsthenagainiamahorribleproofreaderformyownworksoperhapsthatwouldcoverupmytyposyesokayimsoldonclassicallatin

ACTUALLYTHEYDIDNTHAVELOWERCASELETTERSSOITLOOKEDMORELIKETHIS
PEOPLEWEREAMAZEDBYJULIUSCAESARBECAUSEHECOULDREADWRITINGLIKETHISATASINGLEGLANCE

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Istefan Perþonest

So, one of the things I did a long while back was take the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator and whip up a whole variety of keyboards for Windows.

The particularly relevant ones for this discussion would be the "Other OS US Keyboard Layouts" which cover the Macintosh, Amiga, NeXT, and VT320/Unix compose key-style methods of doing accented characters, several variants on the US-International if you don't get along with the standard Windows US International or want the additions the Linux version has, and a "United States (English and Talossan)" layout that uses combining diacriticals instead of precomposed diacritics (which is to say, instead of supporting typing the precomposed character "á", you type an a and then the combining acute, which your computer backs up to display as "á").

(Using the combining diacritical characters made it possible to support every Talossan orthography ever with much less work on my part than assigning a combo to every precomposed glyph.)
Istefan Éovart Perþonest
Cunstavál of Fiôvâ

Viteu

I have looked but is there a way to change the display time to an individual's time zone (i.e. mine should be eastern)? I cannot find the setting anywhere.
Viteu Marcianüs

Quote from: Viteu on May 17, 2021, 11:33:44 AM
I have looked but is there a way to change the display time to an individual's time zone (i.e. mine should be eastern)? I cannot find the setting anywhere.

Profile > Modify Profile > Look and Layout > Time Offset.

Theres no way of setting a timezone as far as I know, instead you have to add the time offset relative to GTA Time. Maybe clicking on auto-detect will help.