Standing Committee on the Organic Law

Started by Miestră Schivă, UrN, July 25, 2021, 04:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miestră Schivă, UrN

The Coalition Agreement states: "Any further fundamental Organic Law reforms, including the question of a unicameral Ziu or a "Real Cosa", will be referred to a Standing Committee of the Ziu representing all elected parties."

This is that Committee, and I hope to see all 8 (!) parties represented in the Ziu commenting here. The goal of this Committee is that we don't want to run the Ziu aground on struggles over future OrgLaw reforms, so let's try to come to a consensus on fixes before writing up a bill and Clarking it.

Without further ado, here are some suggestions I want to raise:

• That old chestnut, the Real Cosa. Organic Law IV.1 to be changed to: "The Cosa is the national legislative assembly, and is composed of seats apportioned among political parties based on their performance in the General Election. The number of these seats shall be set by law, except that it shall be no fewer than twice the number of Senators, minus one. It may administer itself as it sees fit."
  • Write the Túischac'h into the OrgLaw. The Mençéi is an Organic post, why not the President of the Cosa?
  • Possible further fixes to the Seneschál election. My top two questions: do we want to make it possible to abstain? Do we want to continue to require MCs to name two preferences?

The floor is now open for further vague suggestions.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Miestră Schivă, UrN

The argument for a Real Cosa has to be tied to the argument that it is not right that any joker should be able to get legislative seats just with their own vote and $10. I've run the numbers and you could definitely get a seat in a 21-seat Real Cosa with 2 votes, although 15 would make it trickier.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Here's a formal proposal. Amend OrgLaw IV.1 with the following text in bold:

QuoteThe Cosa is the national legislative assembly, and is composed of 200 seats apportioned among political parties based on their performance in the General Election. It may administer itself as it sees fit. The number of seats in the Cosa may be changed by law, with the provisos that any such change will not take effect until the next general election of the Cosa; and that the number of seats in the Cosa may never be less than twice the number of Senators minus one.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

And there's this one, which has been requested as a quid-pro-quo for legislative reforms: repeal of OrgLaw VII.6

QuoteThe Seneschál shall have the right at his discretion to withdraw any legislative proposal from the Hopper and instruct the Secretary of State to treat it as a properly submitted bill.

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Writing the Túischac'h into the OrgLaw: move the first clause of El Lexhatx H.21, namely:

QuoteThe Cosa shall elect one of its members to serve as Speaker of the Cosa (Talossan: el Túischac'h) for the upcoming term. The Speaker shall preside, direct and maintain order during Living Cosas and in the Hopper, in an unbiased fashion. Otherwise, his function will be to advise Members of the Cosa of appropriate decorum. He is considered the honourable President of the Cosâ and shall be awarded all due veneration when serving as such. In the absence of the Túischac'h from the Hopper, the Mençéi shall perform these duties.

to become OrgLaw IV.12. Do we need to do anything other than that?

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on July 25, 2021, 04:27:39 PM
Possible further fixes to the Seneschál election. My top two questions: do we want to make it possible to abstain? Do we want to continue to require MCs to name two preferences?

Is anyone interested in taking this further, or is the Seneschál election mechanism fine as it is?

Açafat del Val

I am bumping this thread with wanton disregard for general forum etiquette, because this is the hill that I will die on:

We needed to scrap the whole OrgLaw, scrap the entirety of El Lexhatx, and condense both documents down to the important bits, less the pomp and ambiguity.

I have the credentials, and I have proven my grit. I'll keep banging this drum until the rest of Talossa lets me do the thing.
Cheers,

AdV
ex-Senator for Florencia
Jolly Good Fellow of the Royal Talossan College of Arms

Sir Txec dal Nordselvă, UrB

Quote from: Açafat del Val on March 18, 2022, 12:21:48 PM
I am bumping this thread with wanton disregard for general forum etiquette, because this is the hill that I will die on:

We needed to scrap the whole OrgLaw, scrap the entirety of El Lexhatx, and condense both documents down to the important bits, less the pomp and ambiguity.

I have the credentials, and I have proven my grit. I'll keep banging this drum until the rest of Talossa lets me do the thing.

Forum etiquette, referred to as Wittiquette, is essential, and will be enforced by the administrator of Wittenberg (me).
Sir Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, UrB, GST, O.SPM, SMM
Secretár d'Estat
Guaír del Sabor Talossan
The Squirrel Viceroy of Arms, The Rouge Elephant Herald, RTCoA
Cunstaval da Vuode
Justice Emeritus of the Uppermost Cort
Former Seneschal