Wittmeister's Feature List

Started by Sir Lüc, December 04, 2019, 06:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Lüc

Quote from: Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial on December 09, 2019, 08:56:41 AM
Quote from: Lüc on December 09, 2019, 07:48:09 AM
Shoutbox update: unfortunately all mods I found were either outdated, paid or have off-site login. For example, there's a nice shoutbox (SMFPacks Shoutbox Pro if you want to look it up) which costs 19$ one-off. Embedding Chatzy also requires a subscription though, which would be as much as 129$ per year (unsustainable).

As standard Chatzy doesn't require to buy Premium, for the time being I have added a redirect under the Chat Room board. We might need to do something custom if we don't want to pay for a shoutbox.

We could embed the Discord server, no?

Yes, I didn't really want to use Discord because of off-site login and off-site storage. However, there seem to be some cool tools for embedding Discord which also allow for guest access, which would remove the login concern. I'm now investigating this.

Marcel, imma need you to give me permissions on the Discord server (or stay in contact with me while we set this up together)
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB
Directeur Sportif, Gordon Hiatus Support Team

In my free time:
Túischac'h dal Cosă / Speaker of the Cosa
Wittmeister & Permanent Secretary of Backend Admin / Secretar Parmanint per l'Aðmistraziun del Backend
Deputy Scribe of Abbavilla / Distain Grefieir d'Abbavillă

Marcel Eðo Pairescu Tafial, UrGP

Quote from: Lüc on December 09, 2019, 11:08:53 AM
Yes, I didn't really want to use Discord because of off-site login and off-site storage. However, there seem to be some cool tools for embedding Discord which also allow for guest access, which would remove the login concern. I'm now investigating this.

Marcel, imma need you to give me permissions on the Discord server (or stay in contact with me while we set this up together)

Aucün problüm.
Editing posts is my thing. My bad.
Feel free to PM me if you have a Glheþ translation request!

el PARTI TAFIALISTÀ, voastra va facçal in la 56 58:téa Cosă.

Sir Lüc

Ok done, we now have a shoutbox (which is really just a Discord embed). Further customisation will come in the next few days.
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB

In my free time:
Wittmeister & Permanent Secretary of Backend Admin / Secretar Parmanint per l'Aðmistraziun del Backend

Baron Alexandreu Davinescu

Can you change the default "stay logged in" time to be 480 minutes instead of 120?
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Sir Lüc

Quote from: Sir Alexandreu Davinescu on December 09, 2019, 01:26:26 PM
Can you change the default "stay logged in" time to be 480 minutes instead of 120?
Done.

Incidentally, we're having issues with the Discord shoutbox embed, which probably began tonight when the developers answered my request for a CSS slot and messed something up in the process. I'm in touch with them to bring it back.
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB

In my free time:

Sir Lüc

The Shoutbox has been restored to full operation and styled to blend in with Witt's theme. (Incidentally, it probably was a problem with the embed provider's servers which they fixed on their own)

Edit: also for some reason Privacy Badger blocks the Discord CDN so if you don't see the shoutbox avatars that's why.
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB

In my free time:

Sir Lüc

Sadly we have had another shoutbox outage in the last 3 hours or so. If this persists, I have selected an alternative embedder (which seems superior anyway, so we might switch no matter what).
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB

In my free time:

Sir Lüc

PSA: I'm currently testing an alternate discord embed for the Shoutbox (you may notice a floating icon on the bottom right). This is because the current embed is a bit buggy - last week the embed bot went offline for a couple of hours every day, and now it seems that messages are sent but not displayed until you reload the page.

As far as I know, this alternate embed is not mantained in its current version "v1" anymore, and the developers are working on "v2" which is currently in beta. Perhaps, when it will be out of beta (it still lacks some stuff that is present in the current embed), we can evaluate whether it's worth switching.
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB

In my free time:

Quote from: Lüc on December 06, 2019, 09:59:44 AM
Quote from: Sevastáin Pinátsch on December 06, 2019, 09:43:55 AM
Interesting that it uses a BBCode enclosure. If you hover over people's names you can see their user number (u=##). In a pinch, you can find someone's U# and then tag people manually by number

Yes, that's how the mod works.

1) Search the text of the post for @<username> (the original mod, before my edit, was @<displayname>)
2) For each of those, find numeric ID and real name and replace the <username> bit
3) Send a notification and mantain DB tables with a list of seen and unseen mentions

Of course, if you do this manually, you are doing point 2) only. You get no notification that way.
Couldn't get this to work like it's supposed to, since selecting the autocomplete filled in the name but didn't make it a link with a notification.
Alexandreu Davinescu, Baron Davinescu del Vilatx Freiric del Vilatx Freiric es Guaír del Sabor Talossan

Bitter struggles deform their participants in subtle, complicated ways. ― Zadie Smith
Revolution is an art that I pursue rather than a goal I expect to achieve. ― Robert Heinlein

Sir Lüc

Thank you for noticing. I will get on it sometime this week, sorry but Witt-admin activity might be reduced over the holidays.

Three spam accounts have been deleted. From now on, suspicious accounts will be immediately banned from posting while the identity is ascertained, then deleted. (Although this is probably an area where the Chancery should set a policy. Sadly I'm not so confident that we will get to see "official", lawful operation of this forum happen anytime soon.)

We currently have 44 registered citizens and 1 registered prospective.
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB

In my free time:

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Quote from: Lüc on December 23, 2019, 07:10:10 AMSadly I'm not so confident that we will get to see "official", lawful operation of this forum happen anytime soon.

The target of 50 registrations was an arbitrary one and can be ignored if the Government decides to do so.

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

GV

Quote from: Miestrâ Schiva, UrN on December 23, 2019, 04:36:14 PM
Quote from: Lüc on December 23, 2019, 07:10:10 AMSadly I'm not so confident that we will get to see "official", lawful operation of this forum happen anytime soon.

The target of 50 registrations was an arbitrary one and can be ignored if the Government decides to do so.

We were at 49(!!) and then went to 46.  Is someone trying to troll us?  lolz

Not a priority at all, but I noticed that YouTube videos don't resize on mobile. So I'm not sure you can watch them unless you go full screen while on mobile. Just FYI.

Sir Lüc

Quote from: Miestrâ Schiva, UrN on December 23, 2019, 04:36:14 PM

I was referring more to the fact that we need the Chancery to do its thing, ie take officially control of policy and certify the forum for use, than the Government's goal which is obviously not legally binding.

We are at 49 registered members, of which 1 is Wittmeister, 1 is a prospective and 1 is no longer a citizen. So 46 registered citizens.
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB

In my free time:

Sir Lüc

Quote from: Sir Alexandreu Davinescu on December 27, 2019, 08:48:09 AM
Not a priority at all, but I noticed that YouTube videos don't resize on mobile. So I'm not sure you can watch them unless you go full screen while on mobile. Just FYI.
Fixed!
Sir Lüc da Schir, UrB

In my free time: