[Chancery] Rules and Registrations August (July) 2020 GE

Started by Glüc da Dhi S.H., July 08, 2020, 06:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glüc da Dhi S.H.

Attention Citizens of Talossa!

His Majesty, King John I has dissolved the Cosa. That means a General Election will be held starting the 15th of July and ending the 1st of August.

The rules have not been changed since last time and have been attached to this post.
These rules are an addition to Talossan law regarding elections, specifically OrgLaw Sections III,IV and V and Lexhatx title B. Be aware that not every detail of the law has been explicitly included in the rules so knowledge of the relevant laws might be useful.

The rules can also be found on the rules page of the database.

This thread serves to announce the rules, to inform Parties, Senatorial Candidates, King and Provinces about what needs to happen before the election and as a way for parties and candidates to register.

Glüc da Dhi,
Secretary of State

Timetable
13 July 23:59 TST (-5 UTC) - Registration deadline Political Parties.
14 July 23:59 TST - Registration deadline Senatorial Candidates.
15 July, morning - Balloting Day, all citizens receive their ballots.
1 August 19:30 TST - Election deadline, results are announced.
14 August - Certification deadline
30 August - Party fee deadline to sit in the Cosa during the first clark

Information for Parties

In the upcoming election the 200 seats of the 55th Cosa will be elected.

For a party to be able to obtain seats in the 55th Cosa two things need to happen.
1. You need to register with the chancery. This needs to happen at least 24 hours before balloting day!

Registration should include:
* Full Party name
* Party Initials
* 50 word statement
* Party Leader(s)
* Candidate list (this is optional, but if no list is supplied only the party leader is allowed to receive seats (see Lex.b.2.3 for the full rules regarding party lists).
* Party platform URL (optional)

All of the above can be done by posting in this thread, sending me a pm or sending an email to talossachancery@gmail.com. (Information can be updated at any time before the deadline, but the initial registration needs to include at least all the mandatory parts).
Candidate lists and Platform URLs can still be provided/updated the day before balloting day.

2. You need to pay a fee. This needs to happen before assigning cosa seats.
The fee is 6¤40 ($10 USD) and needs to be paid to the Bürgermeister of Inland Revenue, Istefan Perþonest. Contact him to find out more about the best way to pay the fee. Parties can appear on the ballot before the fee has been paid.

Information regarding referenda statements (King + existing parties)
In addition, parties that currently hold cosa seats may provide a statement of up to 50 words for each referendum either in favour or against the bill.
In addition, the King may provide a 150 word statement for each amendment that was passed after the Ziu overruled an earlier objection.

This can be done by posting in this thread, sending me a pm or sending an email to talossachancery@gmail.com. Please do not wait until the last minute for this as they may have to be manually added to the ballot by the database admin

Information for Senatorial Candidates
Four Senate seats will be contested during the upcoming elections: Benito (3 cosa terms), Vuode (3 cosa terms), Maritiimi-Maxhestic (2 cosa terms), and Cézembre (special, 1 cosa term).
Some of these will be conducted by the provinces themselves. Others will be conducted by the chancery. A list will be included in this post with the most up to date information about which elections are conducted by the chancery.

If elections are conducted by the chancery, the election will use IRV and allow write-in candidates, but candidates do get the opportunity to be listed on the ballot. All you have to do to appear on the ballot is register with the chancery. This can be done by posting in this thread, sending me a pm or sending an email to talossachancery@gmail.com.

In order to appear on the ballot you have to register before the start of the elections.

Information for Provinces
The chancery provides the option for provinces to have their Senate and Assembly elections conducted by the chancery. Additionally in the case of assembly elections, provinces may provide supplementary instructions to the voters (this could be a description of the relevant provincial law, whether to vote for a party or person, a list of provincially registered parties, etc). The chancery requests that provincial representatives supply this information (what elections should be conducted, voting instructions) to the chancery. I will also look at relevant provincial law and post a thread in each province asking for details. If no information is provided by the province (in whatever form) the default option will be to include an option for a provincial assembly vote, but NOT to conduct the senatorial election, as this requires an explicit request from the province.

Assembly elections (Could be subject to change until balloting day.) -Pending confirmation by the provinces
Atatürk - Election conducted by the chancery.
Benito - Election conducted by the chancery. Instructions: "For the Benito Legislative Assembly, please vote for a party, or PRESENT if you wish to cast a null ballot."
Cézembre - Election conducted by the chancery. (no confirmation)
Fîovâ - No election, the General Assembly consists of all citizens.
Florencia - Election conducted by the chancery. Instructions: "Vote for a party or vote "present""
Maricopa - No election, all citizen can claim a seat in the Cabana.
Maritiimi Maxhestic - No election, all citizens can claim a seat in the Provincial assembly during the election.
Vuode - No election, all citizens can claim a seat in the Estats Xhenerais during the election..

Senate elections (Could be subject to change until balloting day.)
Benito (3 cosa terms) - Election conducted by the chancery.
Cézembre (1 cosa terms, special) - Election conducted by the chancery. (unconfirmed)
Maritiimi-Maxhestic (2 cosa terms) - Election conducted by the province.
Vuode (3 cosa terms) - Election conducted by the province.

Registered Senate Candidates

Benito:
* Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

Cézembre (if conducted by the Chancery):
* Xhorxh Pol Briga
* Ian Tamoran

Registered parties
* FREEDEMS - Free Democrats of Talossa - leader: Miestră Schivă - Platform link
* NPW - New Peculiar Way - leader: Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
* LCC - League of Centre Conservatives - leader: Ian Platschisch - Platform link

50 word statements
* FREEDEMS:
Re-elect Miestră Schivă as Seneschál for a third term! Free Democrats in government get things done and have more fun. We want a referendum on Royal powers; better outreach to the world via social media, our website and diplomacy; and more use of the Talossan language. Don't mess with success!

* NPW:
The NPW looks to add levity, peculiarity, and fun to the Talossan scene.  Let's help people find those reasons to check in on a regular basis, as well grow Talossa in new and interesting ways.  "Everything's got a story in it. Change the story, change the world." -Terry Pratchett

* LCC:
Do you believe the Talossan Monarch should be more than a powerless figurehead? Do you believe in the cultural and political significance of the provinces? This broad coalition of centrists and conservatives (hence our name) is ready to deliver the active, principled opposition which has recently been sorely lacking

Candidate Lists
* FREEDEMS:
1. Miestră Schivă
2. Munditenens Tresplet
3. Martì-Páir Furxhéir
4. Txec dal Nordselvâ
5. Txoteu Davinescù
6. Cresti da Ion Nouacastră-Läxhirescu (also Senäts candidate)
7. Antalgha Xhenerös Somelieir
8. Eðo Grischün (also Senäts candidate)

* NPW:
1. Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu (also Senat candidate)
2. Ian SG Txalgh
3. Iason Taiwos

* LCC:
1. Brenier Itravilatx
2. Sir Cresti Siervicul
3. Jordan Placie

Referenda
* 54RZ16 - The There's No Such Thing As A Free Senäts Seat Amendment
* 54RZ22 - The Amada Mertgedes Martyrdom Memorial Act
* 54RZ23 - The Uniform Seneschál Election Act
* 54RZ25 - Judiciary Amendment of 2020
* 54RZ28 - The Non-Hereditary Monarchy Amendment

Party/King Referenda Statements
* FREEDEMS:
54RZ16 (PER):
VOTE PËR. Talossa needs all the sources of income it can get. Political parties have contributed $10 per election for a long time, but Senators have not had to contribute. This amendment will allow us to set a fee for successful Senäts candidates; we envisage $5 would be fair.
54RZ22 (PER):
VOTE PËR. Amada Mer‏‏‏tgedes was elected to the Senate, but was not allowed to vote because she hadn't been a citizen for a year. But then she was kicked out of the Senäts for not voting! That was not supposed to happen, and this amendment fixes those contradictory OrgLaw provisions.
54RZ23 (PER):
VOTE PËR. Instead of the King choosing a Seneschál, this Amendment gives the Cosa the right to elect the Seneschál on the first Clark. This makes Talossa much more democratic and transparent.
54RZ25 (PER):
VOTE PËR. The Uppermost Cort has been in a muddle for ages, with inactive Justices and no clear procedure. This amendment was drafted by UC Justice and actual legal expert, Viteu Marcianüs, to make Talossa's court system work on sound principles.
54RZ28 (PER):
VOTE PËR. Talossa has always elected its Kings. The one time we tried a hereditary succession, the crown went to a 7 year old boy whose family didn't want him involved in Talossa at all. This amendment will ensure that Talossa's next King is capable of doing the job.

*AMP:
54RZ28 (PER):
King of Talossa is too important a role to give to just anybody who happens to be the King's son. (Note that AMP is no longer a political party, is not contesting this election, and now exists as a think tank).

The EC discussed whether the elections should continue starting the 15th of July, because the writ of dissolution was posted a bit late. As it stands, we will continue as normal and balloting day will be the 15th of July. That means only a week left for preparations and registrations.
Because I was way too late in getting the EC to validate new rules, the rules will be the same as last year. One chance I hoped to make was to explicitly include the option for the King to submit a 150 word statement on amendments he objected to. Of course, even though it is now not explictly mentioned in the rules, it is still the case, because it is organically mandated.
I won't be able to finish the registrations thread today, but of course people should feel free to already submit information to the chancery (see the rules for details).
That means
for provinces - whether they would like the chancery to conduct Senate/provincial assembly elections, and potential ballot instructions to the voters for provincial assembly elections
for parties that want to participate in the election - party name, intials, leader(s), 50 word statement, candidate lists, party platform url
for parties that currently have cosa seats - 50 word statements on any of the referenda to be held (I havent checked exactly which those are yet, will post soon)
for senate candidates in provinces whose elections will be conducted by the chancery - their name for on the ballot (dont know which provinces exactly yet, but if you think your provinces elections might be conducted by the chancery, feel free to submit anyway, better safe than sorry)
for the King - 150 word statements on any of the referenda he objected to
Exact deadlines and procedures will be posted soon, but feel free to submit before then if you can.
The rules should be attached to this post and of course the database version can be found here: http://www.talossa.ca/files/electionrules.php
Director of Money Laundering and Sportswashing, Banqeu da Cézembre

Miestră Schivă, UrN

Party Registrations: FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA (FreeDems)

50 WORDS: Re-elect Miestră Schivă as Seneschál for a third term! Free Democrats in government get things done and have more fun. We want a referendum on Royal powers; better outreach to the world via social media, our website and diplomacy; and more use of the Talossan language. Don't mess with success!

Party Leader: Miestră Schivă

Party Platform: https://freedemstalossa.wordpress.com/2020/06/26/free-democrats-for-the-55th-cosa-election-july-2020/

Cosă Candidate List:
    Miestră Schivă
    Munditenens Tresplet
    Martì-Páir Furxhéir
    Txec dal Nordselvâ
    Txoteu Davinescù
    Cresti da Ion Nouacastră-Läxhirescu (also Senäts candidate)
    Antalgha Xhenerös Somelieir
    Eðo Grischün (also Senäts candidate)

Party statements on referenda to follow.
Party registration fee already paid, I believe; can the Burgermeister confirm?

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA
¡LADINTSCHIÇETZ-VOI - rogetz-mhe cacsa!
"IS INACTIVITY BAD? I THINK NOT!" - Lord Hooligan

Eðo Grischun

Byelaws of the United Provinces of Vuode and Dandenburg:

The Claiming Our Autonomy Byelaw
The Estats Xhenerais, as authorized under articles III and IV of the Constitution of the United Provinces of Vuode and Dandenburg, RESOLVES to hereby invoke its right under Section 7 of Article IV of the Organic Law of the Kingdom of Talossa and rescinds any prior grants of permission for the Chancery to conduct its Senatorial elections.

and

The National Senate Election ByeLaw
A prospective Senator must openly declare their intention to sit as a candidate for Senate no later than ten (10) days prior to the end of the last Cosâ preceding an election.

Only one candidate timely declared intention to seek election to the seat for Vuode and the window mandated by Vuodean byelaw has now closed. 

I believe this means that an election is not required for the Vuodean seat, but would like legal opinion on that.

In the event that the Chancery decides that Vuodean candidates must still declare, I hereby declare my candidacy for the Vuodean Senate seat.
Eovart Grischun S.H.

Former Distain
Former Minister
Former Senator for Vuode

Viteu

Responding as Vuode's Premier--

The Chancery doesn't have authority to conduct Vuode's election. The Reclaiming Act was passed under the old Org Law, but the underlying organic clause and authority for the act remains in the new Org Law. Also, Vuode has to affirmatively ask the Chancery to conduct its election, which it has not done, nor, as Premier, will I do. The law of Vuode is clear in this regard, and I am without authority, at this time, to change it.

You timely declared your candidacy. Nobody else did. You're technically running, but it's unopposed. The election will happen on a Vuode forum by public vote in accord with  Vuodian law. There is no role for the Chancery here.
Viteu Marcianüs
Puisne Judge of the Uppermost Cort

Former FreeDem (Vote PRESENT)

Eðo Grischun

Quote from: Viteu on July 09, 2020, 05:25:02 AM
Responding as Vuode's Premier--

The Chancery doesn't have authority to conduct Vuode's election. The Reclaiming Act was passed under the old Org Law, but the underlying organic clause and authority for the act remains in the new Org Law. Also, Vuode has to affirmatively ask the Chancery to conduct its election, which it has not done, nor, as Premier, will I do. The law of Vuode is clear in this regard, and I am without authority, at this time, to change it.

You timely declared your candidacy. Nobody else did. You're technically running, but it's unopposed. The election will happen on a Vuode forum by public vote in accord with  Vuodian law. There is no role for the Chancery here.

Many thanks.
Eovart Grischun S.H.

Former Distain
Former Minister
Former Senator for Vuode

Istefan Perþonest

Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on July 08, 2020, 06:42:45 PM
Due to a technical issue with how it was made, PayPal is saying it'll clear tomorrow.  So, though it's been sent, I'm not yet counting it as actually paid.
Istefan Éovart Perþonest
Cunstavál of Fiôvâ
Burgermeister of Inland Revenue

Miestră Schivă, UrN

PROTECT THE ORGLAW FROM POWER GRABS - NO POLITICISED KING! Vote THE FREE DEMOCRATS OF TALOSSA

Ian Plätschisch

AMP's statement on RZ28:

King of Talossa is too important a role to give to just anybody who happens to be the King's son. (Note that AMP is no longer a political party, is not contesting this election, and now exists as a think tank).

Istefan Perþonest

Quote from: Istefan Perþonest on July 09, 2020, 05:17:01 PM
Quote from: Miestră Schivă, UrN on July 08, 2020, 06:42:45 PM
Due to a technical issue with how it was made, PayPal is saying it'll clear tomorrow.  So, though it's been sent, I'm not yet counting it as actually paid.
And now cleared.
Istefan Éovart Perþonest
Cunstavál of Fiôvâ
Burgermeister of Inland Revenue

Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

PARTY REGISTRATION FOR NEW PECULIAR WAY

Party Name: New Peculiar Way (NPW)

50 Word Statement: "The NPW looks to add levity, peculiarity, and fun to the Talossan scene.  Let's help people find those reasons to check in on a regular basis, as well grow Talossa in new and interesting ways.  "Everything's got a story in it. Change the story, change the world." -Terry Pratchett"

Party Leader: Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu

Cosa List:  Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu (also Senat candidate)
                Ian SG Txalgh
                Iason Taiwos

Party Manifesto:  Coming Soon

-----------
I would also like to register myself as a Senate Candidate for Benito.
Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu
Chisleu Bruno of the NPW
Senator from Benito

Miestră Schivă, UrN

So what are the rules re: political parties and/or Senäts candidates using the Chancery mailing lists for publicising themselves?

Antaglha Xhenerös Somelieir

I apologise if this is a bit late, howver i only just saw this post, As the Başbakan of Atatürk, I request that the chancery helps in our elections, as we do not currently have the facilites or legistlation to conduct these ourselves.

Party Secretary of the Free Democrats of Talossa
https://wittenberg.talossa.com/index.php?board=34.0
Talossans in Christ Church :-
http://wittenberg.talossa.com/index.php?topic=294.0
Başbakan of Ataturk

Ian Plätschisch

I, the Grand General Secretary of Maritiimi-Maxhestic, certify we will conduct our own Senate election.

Glüc da Dhi S.H.

Quote from: Antaglha Xhenerös Somelieir on July 11, 2020, 09:19:22 AM
I apologise if this is a bit late, howver i only just saw this post, As the Başbakan of Atatürk, I request that the chancery helps in our elections, as we do not currently have the facilites or legistlation to conduct these ourselves.

The Chancery will do as requested. Should there be any additional accompanying instructions on the ballot?

Glüc da Dhi S.H.

Quote from: Eiric S. Bornatfiglheu on July 10, 2020, 05:24:30 PM
PARTY REGISTRATION FOR NEW PECULIAR WAY

Party Name: New Peculiar Way (NPW)

Obvious question maybe, but who is the party leader?